Many have their stoves burning yet?

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

No way, stoves are for wimps this time of year.

Put on an extra layer if you need to warm up a bit and/or man up :)

My chimney is tucked away and would need 2 bags of coal shifting to get to it. That stays put until 1 September at the very earliest. Whatever the missus says. Probably.

6 minutes ago, pearley said:

We are wimps then. The temperature didn't rise above 14 here at Bardney so finally succumbed and lit the fire, but only after the boat in front lit his!

If I hadn't had a webasto my stove would have been on but I am using webasto at moment morning and evening. Being cold simply isn't for boaters its reserved for people who live in houses. Plenty of stoves on round here, its better than a month ago with that obscene heat, this is much nicer :D

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If I hadn't had a webasto my stove would have been on but I am using webasto at moment morning and evening. Being cold simply isn't for boaters its reserved for people who live in houses. Plenty of stoves on round here, its better than a month ago with that obscene heat, this is much nicer :D

OK, I admit it, if we had C/H I would probably succumb to the pressure from SWMBO.

As it is, our only options for warming up are:

1. the stove (not in August!) 

2. extra layers of clothing

3. cup-a-soup or porridge

4. physical activity (no sniggering).

We went for options 2 and 3 yesterday.

3 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

OK, I admit it, if we had C/H I would probably succumb to the pressure from SWMBO.

As it is, our only options for warming up are:

1. the stove (not in August!) 

2. extra layers of clothing

3. cup-a-soup or porridge

4. physical activity (no sniggering).

We went for options 2 and 3 yesterday.

Going for option 4 this morning! Protective equipment will be donned..including waterproof boots and a brisk walk to the pub should ensure warmth! 

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Being cold simply isn't for boaters its reserved for people who live in houses. Plenty of stoves on round here, its better than a month ago with that obscene heat, this is much nicer :D

We're in a house. No heating needed, we're plenty warm enough despite the temperature outside being about 14 at the moment.

I have to say, I find this commonly expressed refusal to put the heating on when its cold for no other reason than the date, totally perplexing.

I accept and understand it is a trait of human nature but I sure as hell don't succumb to it, now that winter is closing in.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have to say, I find this commonly expressed refusal to put the heating on when its cold for no other reason than the date, totally perplexing.

I accept and understand it is a trait of human nature but I sure as hell don't succumb to it, now that winter is closing in.

I'll put the heating on when we're cold, without considering what date it is. But we certainly don't need it on at the moment.

12 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

We're in a house. No heating needed, we're plenty warm enough despite the temperature outside being about 14 at the moment.

That's because we have noticed over the years people live cold in houses as a matter of course with such as their c/h thermostat set at 21 degrees :mellow: in the winter our front cabin hovers around 30 and often more, no wrapping up nonsense for us its t shirts all the time,

Edited by mrsmelly

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We stuck the heating on at home for a couple of hours last night. 

We don't do being cold.

The Webasto on the boat has been used more this summer then we can ever remember using it at this time of year!

Agree. I cannot remember ever in my years using any heating on any boat in August. I can remember vividly june in 2000 which was cold and we had a crappy diesel stove ( lesson learnt ) but august this is a first for us.

Edited by mrsmelly

On 09/08/2017 at 10:31, mrsmelly said:

Agree. I cannot remember ever in my years using any heating on any boat in August. I can remember vividly june in 2000 which was cold and we had a crappy diesel stove ( lesson learnt ) but august this is a first for us.

I blame global warming for all this chilly weather....

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That's because we have noticed over the years people live cold in houses as a matter of course with such as their c/h thermostat set at 21 degrees :mellow: in the winter our front cabin hovers around 30 and often more, no wrapping up nonsense for us its t shirts all the time,

Our c/h thermostat rarely goes above 20 degrees even in winter, and I turn it down to 14 at night. We'll still be wearing t shirts. Anything over that would be far too warm in this house. 

7 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Our c/h thermostat rarely goes above 20 degrees even in winter, and I turn it down to 14 at night. We'll still be wearing t shirts. Anything over that would be far too warm in this house. 

20, is 20 is 20 as 14 is 14 is 14 the kind of house has nowt to do with a specific temperature. If you are happy at 20 then that's of course fine but this couple aint sitting in a temperature of 20 no bloomin chance.

52 minutes ago, ianali said:

Going for option 4 this morning! Protective equipment will be donned..including waterproof boots and a brisk walk to the pub should ensure warmth! 

Sounds a bit kinky to me, hope the boots are rubber and the waterproofs are leather.

:)

7 minutes ago, Rickent said:

The warmest place I have ever lived in all my years on this planet is my boat, lovely warm glow from the stove, 25 degrees, shorts on, winter is great can't wait.

Absobloomin lootely :D PROPER boating season when all the hobbiests retire to their houses and leave us the waterways and no queeing at locks or owt :D

• Happy 1