Cropredy area during the festival - getting through and mooring

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

I'm currently in Banbury and need to travel through Cropredy today or tomorrow.

I'm thinking of sitting out the heavier rain forecast on Metcheck for this morning (Wednesday) and then setting off after lunch as that looks more promising.

Can anyone please advise on what it's like getting through Cropredy on the day before, or day 1, of the festival and how far I probably need to go before I can moor for tonight (if we do go this afternoon). I'm not especially bothered about mooring in Cropredy, which I assume there would be no chance of.

Also how likely is it that I will be able to get onto the services point, does it usually get blocked by boats?

Thanks

We went through once during the actual festival.  It is a long long line of boats.  I don't remember the services being blocked, but there was piles of rubbish everywhere not very pleasant.  The biggest issue was the lock, you may find that the lock landing is occupied so there is nowhere to get off the boat except over other boats, and when there is a queue of 3 boats like we had it is all a bit of a pain.

Just keep going until there is space, probably a few locks above Cropredy lock.

After all this time surely CRT know to keep lock landings and services clear and a skip at services for the extra rubbish.

Amazing that CRT have not seen a money making opportunity here . I believe moorings at Crick show are pre booked and charged.

7 minutes ago, b0atman said:

After all this time surely CRT know to keep lock landings and services clear and a skip at services for the extra rubbish.

Amazing that CRT have not seen a money making opportunity here . I believe moorings at Crick show are pre booked and charged.

Yes surprising isn't it. Although I'm not sure who gets the money from the Crick show moorings? Maybe the organisers. 

The services mooring was clear earlier, although the bins are all full to over-flowing! There are some extra skips on the main road. Mooring spaces in Cropedy itself are full. As were the two pubs last night! They do say that when this 'mist' clears, we could have a drop of rain later!! 

Edited by Chop!

Thanks to all responders.

We've decided to stay put for today and do Cropredy on Thursday as weather remains a bit sh1t this afternoon but we're "promised" better for tomorrow. That means any photo opportunities we spot as we go through will look better in the hopefully brighter conditions.

The congestion in cropedy doesn't change as the festival period progresses. Most of the boats going there will be there by now and moored up as close as they can get (which could easily be a mile away!) 

The navigation is never blocked, there is constant canal traffic through the site. The worst you'll encounter is perhaps a bit of shuffling to pass a boat coming the other way.

I'd say now is a good time to go through actually as everyone is moored up. If you wait until the festival finishes then there will be 100 boats all trying to go home and lock queues longer than you thought possible.

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The congestion in cropedy doesn't change as the festival period progresses. Most of the boats going there will be there by now and moored up as close as they can get (which could easily be a mile away!) 

The navigation is never blocked, there is constant canal traffic through the site. The worst you'll encounter is perhaps a bit of shuffling to pass a boat coming the other way.

I'd say now is a good time to go through actually as everyone is moored up. If you wait until the festival finishes then there will be 100 boats all trying to go home and lock queues longer than you thought possible.

We made the mistake of passing through just after the festival, plus it was one of the water shortage years and Claydon locks were on restricted hours.  We joined the back of the queue for the bottom lock with 24 boats in front of us, by the time the locks opened there were another ten boats behind us.   

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. I didn't lay it on thick enough. It is ESSENTIAL to go through while the festival is still in progress to avoid horrendous delays.

No worries on that score, I need to be at the bottom of the Napton flight by Saturday evening so I will definitely be going through tomorrow. Even if that wasn't the case I would have made sure I was through and well clear of the area before it finishes on Saturday for the very reasons specified.

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Message for Athy. Just seen you on the news. You're a star.

Eh, what's that all about?

We came through Cropredy late this morning's and saw Trojan sitting there on its mooring with the engine running which seemed to please at least one passer-by on the towpath. Didn't see Athy though.

Edited by MrBeethoven
Damn spell checker!

22 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm going to bounce this as I guess Mike didn't see it. The music is now silent so he should be able to focus his eyes.

No I didn't, as we don't have a telly on the boat. I. along with two or three adjacent moorers, was interviewed by a lady from the local commercial T.V. station. She told me that her name was Penny Sylvester, whereupon I pointed at her cameraman and said "So this must be Tweetie Pie". She smiled politely.

On 10/08/2017 at 22:28, MrBeethoven said:

We came through Cropredy late this morning's and saw Trojan sitting there on its mooring with the engine running which seemed to please at least one passer-by on the towpath. Didn't see Athy though.

I do remember seeing 'Lily Rose' pass, what a pity that i did not realise that it was you, it would have been a pleasure to meet you.

I'll tell you a story about the engine running. Of course we run it for a few hours each day to recharge the batteries. When we do this, we normally have the side doors open to keep the engine room cool. The engine is quite an old one, a Gardner, which costs me quite a bit in Brasso. About five years ago, when moored for the festival, we noticed people (chaps, mostly) looking into the engine room, and a couple of them even asked if they could photograph it. Mrs. Athy, in one of her occasional moments of genius, said to me "You should charge them money".

Many a true word is spoken in jest. The following year, 2013, as we had become members of the Cotswold canals Trust, I affixed a brief description and history of the engine to the side door, along with a request that if people had enjoyed viewing and listening to it, they might consider making a donation to the CCT, by tossing a coin into the balti dish which I had placed beside the engine. We made over £20 in donations, which amazed us. The appeal of the Gardner must be an enduring one: I have just cashed up this year's offerings and shall be putting a cheque for £48 in the post to the CCT later today.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I do remember seeing 'Lily Rose' pass, what a pity that i did not realise that it was you, it would have been a pleasure to meet you.

I'll tell you a story about the engine running. Of course we run it for a few hours each day to recharge the batteries. When we do this, we normally have the side doors open to keep the engine room cool. The engine is quite an old one, a Gardner, which costs me quite a bit in Brasso. About five years ago, when moored for the festival, we noticed people (chaps, mostly) looking into the engine room, and a couple of them even asked if they could photograph it. Mrs. Athy, in one of her occasional moments of genius, said to me "You should charge them money".

Many a true word is spoken in jest. The following year, 2013, as we had become members of the Cotswold canals Trust, I affixed a brief description and history of the engine to the side door, along with a request that if people had enjoyed viewing and listening to it, they might consider making a donation to the CCT, by tossing a coin into the balti dish which I had placed beside the engine. We made over £20 in donations, which amazed us. The appeal of the Gardner must be an enduring one: I have just cashed up this year's offerings and shall be putting a cheque for £48 in the post to the CCT later today.

Well done Athy have a greeny

12 hours ago, Athy said:

I could see someone (briefly) sitting just inside the front as we passed which I assumed was Mrs Athy. Then I saw the engine room side doors open and heard a woman on the towpath telling her companion what the engine was. She sounded pretty enthusiastic!

I saw you and/or Trojan twice on our trip (now sadly over, in the marina today, home tomorrow) to and from the Thames. First time when you were on your way to the summit pound a few weeks ago, second time as we passed through on festival day 1.

I enjoyed the experience of going through Cropredy while the festival was on and I'm glad I did it but once was probably enough!

Well done with the engine display/charity collection thing, a good idea and a good story.

We enjoyed our first* (boating) visit to the Thames so much we hope to go next summer as well so I'll be looking out for you again then. 

* Not really our first Thames boating but the only previous time was a hire from Thames Ditton to Port Meadow and back in a week but that was in 1977 so not exactly fresh in my memory.

13 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, well done. I would give you a greenie if I could but I cant as it doesnt give me the option.................Well done!