Wolverhampton mooring?

Profzarkov

Featured Posts

Hi

Planning to go up the Wolverhampton flight in the next few days but didn't want to go much further than that.

What are the moorings at the top like? Can you moor at the services and if so can you still get out into the town?

Steve

The last few times I have been through there have been boats moored both sides above the top lock overnight and on the towpath side after Broad Street bridge. There is the offside secure mooring as well but no access off the mooring. The services in Broad Street basin normally have a CRT workboat moored in there and there are signs saying no overnight mooring.

There are rings on the towpath side beyond Broad Street Bridge.

A CaRT key will get you through the gate and into the yard where the services are but not through the gate to the outside world if it is locked.

The moorings are only a short walk from the Great Western :cheers: but are quite noisy as the are right next to a busy road.

Three spots above the lock (all full tonight), 4 if your not too long (we are). Beyond the bridge lots of space on the left but would not want to be the only boat here though have never had trouble. Moorings on the right (off side) look safe but no access so you are stuck and cant get to the Great Western. Wolves is not the best place and the Great Western is by far its best feature, lovely lovely pub.

The Yard has LOTS of signs saying No Overnight Mooring. Have stayed here often and only got told off once. Arrive late (after 6 ish) and leave early. Main gate locked mid evening but BW key opens the side gate. (I am in here as I write this :D ) .

Have heard that CaRT no longer own/use this yard as it is up for property development. 

Two very strong IPA's at the Pub in addition to all the usual beer and cheese cobs.

................Dave

Hmm, OK thanks guys. The lure of the GW is great and we are in no hurry.

Just waiting for the rain to subside before leaving the VM at bridge 8 on the Shroppie, pump out at Oxley then either go up the flight or leave it until Thursday. I hear you can more opposite the oxley yard?

Edited by Profzarkov

6 minutes ago, Profzarkov said:

Hmm, OK thanks guys. The lure of the GW is great and we are in no hurry.

Just waiting for the rain to subside before leaving the VM at bridge 8 on the Shroppie, pump out at Oxley then either go up the flight or leave it until Thursday. I hear you can more opposite the oxley yard?

Lots of moorings opposite Oxley services. Lousy service from Oxley though. 

:(

Yo, moored there right now. Seems OK . Oxley was OK, he knew we were coming so was expecting us. Pump out about 40% cheaper (£12.50 instead of £20)  compared to Napton has round t'corner. He seemed alright, not exactly the chatty type but did all the machinations for us. Job done. Up the flight first thing tomorrow !

4 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

We moored at the top of the Wolverhampton flight in June. It's fine. Went into the Great Western for a pint and had many. Great pub. Went to the shopping mall where Poundland was the flagship store, it wasn't fine any more, ran away, went back to the Great Western for more beers.  Great pub!

There, fixed that for you! :)

9 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

We've always had good service from Orph at Oxley & I've even made him crack a smile a few times.

I've always get good banter with Orph. Albeit that I haven't stopped there for sometime.

Other than protecting myself against slanderous posts by folks I've never met, Orph's 'Yarns from the Yard' on the 'orange other site' was one of the only reasons to logon.

He's retired from writing them and for one, I missed them very much. Great tales which were full of wisdom and wonderful dry humour. 

James

8 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I've always get good banter with Orph. Albeit that I haven't stopped there for sometime.

Other than protecting myself against slanderous posts by folks I've never met, Orph's 'Yarns from the Yard' on the 'orange other site' was one of the only reasons to logon.

He's retired from writing them and for one, I missed them very much. Great tales which were full of wisdom and wonderful dry humour. 

James

I agree

15 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

James

He hasn't retired.

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/10090-electrical-thoughts

22 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

What is the club house like?

We went in there when we were picking our boat up after some work - it was quite pleasant locals were friendly, drank rather a lot of bottled beer but it was pretty good value.

OK. Thanks for all the comments - stopped following now.

Our journey up was quite amazing. The 0720 start helped. ALL the locks were in our favour and empty - just had to push the gates open.

A Volly came down and opened 4 bottom gates for us.

Got to the top by 11. Not bad for just the two of us.

Worst part was the trip to Tipton - blanket weed and I do mean a blanket - all the way???

Spent about 10 trips down the weed hatch - very, very frustrating!!

Pushed on to Brum - got there by 4. So a good day but we do prefer our 3 hr bimbles!!