48v bilge pump conundrum

stegra

Featured Posts

I'm finding it a little tricky to sort out bilge pumps for my 48v battery bank. I'd prefer not to have to use a DC/DC converter as that will be constantly operating needlessly for the vast majority of the time, hopefully! I can't find a 48v bilge pump so I thought a submersible with a float switch would work. Problem is that float switches seem to be rated at 12, 24, 32 and 230v. I've eliminated the 230v option. I wouldn't be too concerned about using the low voltage DC switch if the submersible pump was a similar power to standard bilge pumps but it's 100w. That's only about 2A but surge at start up is going to be multiple times that. Relays are an option but I'd like to eliminate as many possible weak links as possible. Appreciate any suggestions. Ta.

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

How about a separate 12v or 24v battery bank for items like that charged from a 48v dropper? That way you have a reserve of power should the dropper fail....

I was hoping to have a setup where nothing (such as charger etc.) needed to be running continuously if the boat is left for an extended period. I might have a separate bank with its own solar for bow thruster but it'll be 40' away so voltage drop becomes an issue.

I'd just use one of the 12/24/32 v rated ones can't see the voltage being an issue it's more the dc amp rating that's important. Presume your going to use the float switch to switch the dc-dc converter. Rule of thumb is surge is 5x running typically. 

10 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I'd just use one of the 12/24/32 v rated ones can't see the voltage being an issue it's more the dc amp rating that's important. Presume your going to use the float switch to switch the dc-dc converter. Rule of thumb is surge is 5x running typically. 

Ah. I hadn't thought of switching DC/DC converters with the float switch. Seems to make sense but will need a dedicated converter for each pump. DC/DC converters aren't cheap but the savings from using 12v or 24v pumps should make it viable. Still adds a potential weak link so relays might be equally viable.

47 minutes ago, stegra said:

Ah. I hadn't thought of switching DC/DC converters with the float switch. Seems to make sense but will need a dedicated converter for each pump. DC/DC converters aren't cheap but the savings from using 12v or 24v pumps should make it viable. Still adds a potential weak link so relays might be equally viable.

I would consider a relay to be a whole magnitude more reliable than a DC-DC converter.