Marie Stranded on the Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Speaking from a position of both having a VHF radio and the licence to use the same I think something needs to be said about the actual practicality of their use on narrowboats on the tidal Trent, Severn, Thames and, if you like, the Ouse. Without an aerial fitted at the top of a mast as on a sailing yacht, or one of the long aerials fitted on some cruisers, the range is extremely limited. Whilst on the Trent I called up West Stockwith lock to tell them of my approach and could get no reception on the hand held further than about1/2 to 3/4 mile away. I've just come up the Ouse to Naburn and in a similar scenario called the lock-keeper when about a mile away (near Moreby Hall) and every 3 minutes afterwards, when the lock-keeper finally called (I hadn't actually called him for several minutes as I'd given up by then) I could actually see him on the lock side<_<. I'm not condemning VHF radio, but let's not overplay it's usefulness when the signal is getting blocked either by vegetation or high flood banks.

I also note that the commercial vessels using the waterways (Exon Pride and Humber Princess before her) both switch off their AIS once on the canals, which is a shame as sometimes it can be useful to see where they are and avoid.

14 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

f you aren't familiar with them, then perhaps you should try doing some research before making stupid comments

If they are not tidal, then my comments wouldn't apply. But you would know that if you had read the thread before jumping in with your stupid comments. 

17 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Post 22!! 

Perhaps you need to read it again!!

Note the second and fifth words : TIDAL  and  RIVER!!

Jeez, tidal coastal, which most of it is and tidal river. 

I Notice you conveniently forgot post 32

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Jeez, tidal coastal, which most of it is and tidal river. 

I Notice you conveniently forgot post 32

Would you like your spade taking off you now?

Or would you prefer to dig a bigger hole?

15 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Speaking from a position of both having a VHF radio and the licence to use the same I think something needs to be said about the actual practicality of their use on narrowboats on the tidal Trent, Severn, Thames and, if you like, the Ouse. Without an aerial fitted at the top of a mast as on a sailing yacht, or one of the long aerials fitted on some cruisers, the range is extremely limited. Whilst on the Trent I called up West Stockwith lock to tell them of my approach and could get no reception on the hand held further than about1/2 to 3/4 mile away. I've just come up the Ouse to Naburn and in a similar scenario called the lock-keeper when about a mile away (near Moreby Hall) and every 3 minutes afterwards, when the lock-keeper finally called (I hadn't actually called him for several minutes as I'd given up by then) I could actually see him on the lock side<_<. I'm not condemning VHF radio, but let's not overplay it's usefulness when the signal is getting blocked either by vegetation or high flood banks.

I also note that the commercial vessels using the waterways (Exon Pride and Humber Princess before her) both switch off their AIS once on the canals, which is a shame as sometimes it can be useful to see where they are and avoid.

Yes but if you were approaching say Marie where she is stranded right now. Then knowing her intentions from a mile away are better then not knowing them at all.

OFFS, you said RIVERS in post 22, and funnily enough that came before 32.

Many rivers are not tidal in the navigable sections, but your comments make no differential between them. As I said previously, perhaps you need to think about the implications of what you write before you make a suggestion. Also perhaps you need to do some research on what rivers are navigable in this country.

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not for hirers though and there in lies the difference. 

Do I believe in mandatory qualifications. 

No.

However I do believe in people taking their own responsibilities seriously. 

You are the sort of person the lockies hate!

Think nothing of spending £50-60k on a boat but dont like spending £100 On a course and £70 on a piece of safety equipment. :(

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes but if you were approaching say Marie where she is stranded right now. Then knowing her intentions from a mile away are better then not knowing them at all.

I don't think 'Marie' can have very many intentions at the moment looking at the photos (you can actually see the Keadby Lock entrance in the background) when the tugs start pulling her out of the predicament I would think that the Lockies at Keadby and West Stockwith are going to keep leisure boats well out of the way.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think we are about the only country in the world where boaters do not need some form of qualification before being allowed to take control of a boat - be it 'inland' or 'sea'.

I agree - that should change.

I have a small cruiser on a large lake in Macedonia, law is you have to have a license for yourself, and the boat has to be registered every year, VHF radio is required to be carried, first aid kit, and life jackets for how ever many people the boat has on board. They have police boats on patrol to enforce this, any short comings will cost you 300 euro fine.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I don't think 'Marie' can have very many intentions at the moment looking at the photos (you can actually see the Keadby Lock entrance in the background) when the tugs start pulling her out of the predicament I would think that the Lockies at Keadby and West Stockwith are going to keep leisure boats well out of the way.

You would think wrong. The boat some of the pictures were taken from came out of Keadby.

The lockies are not responsible for boaters actions.

People need to realise that on rivers they are responsible for themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

OFFS, you said RIVERS in post 22, and funnily enough that came before 32.

Many rivers are not tidal in the navigable sections, but your comments make no differential between them. As I said previously, perhaps you need to think about the implications of what you write before you make a suggestion. Also perhaps you need to do some research on what rivers are navigable in this country.

Proceded by the word tidal, also quoted in numerous other of my comments which you have chosen to ignore . 

If its still not clear to you, I am talking about TIDAL waters. 

25 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Little surprised as AFAIK vessels of this size are required to have AIS. Are you checking via an AIS transceiver or via say Marine Traffic as if the latter they could well be transmitting but their signal is not showing up on MT

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Proceded by the word tidal, also quoted in numerous other of my comments which you have chosen to ignore . 

If its still not clear to you, I am talking about TIDAL waters. 

So which CRT licence holders only use tidal waters?

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So which CRT licence holders only use tidal waters?

You have obviously had a fall out with your other half(again) and Graham has run out of sheep to bother.

Rusty has been quite clear in his statements and they are quite sensible.

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I use  a handheld a lot and understand what you are saying but I only occasionally have communication  difficulties.

In addition to the benefit of a taller antenna a fixed radio has more powerful output so has a much greater range.  Not any more difficult to fit to a narrowboat than a cruiser. 

I believe a handheld can be connected to a tall antenna.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Where?

France, believe it or not.

A private boat owner needs ICC; a hirer doesn't

e.t.a. From later posts, I see you already know that! :cheers:

Edited by Iain_S

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

For those of us not on Facebook your live video doesn't exist (I just tried). That is why it wasn't seen. So are you telling me that someone is dumb enough to be out getting in the way of a salvage operation?

No. But if you had seen the video you would know that. The video was taken from the bridge 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did the MARIE swerve to avoid a speeding Sealine? I find myself wondering...

No she cocked up trying to get on her berth.