Marie Stranded on the Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

All tidal coastal and river pleasure craft users should be RYA qualified imo and compulsory VHF trained/equipped. 

How will hirers therefore use the Severn, Avon, Upper Thames, and taken to it's logical extreme, parts of the Oxford and T & M?

• Greenie 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

If you say so. 

If you're saying that anyone who is hiring a boat who will be doing non tidal rivers such as the Severn / Avon / Weaver will have to pass exams (and I assume provide that information to the hiring companies BEFORE they even complete their booking) then do you really expect people to actually hire a boat? How are overseas visitors who go boating supposed to get these qualifications before they even enter the country....

Just now, StephenA said:

If you're saying that anyone who is hiring a boat who will be doing non tidal rivers such as the Severn / Avon / Weaver will have to pass exams (and I assume provide that information to the hiring companies BEFORE they even complete their booking) then do you really expect people to actually hire a boat? How are overseas visitors who go boating supposed to get these qualifications before they even enter the country....

I didn't mention non tidal waters. Read the thread. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

By taking the relevant exams, or boating elsewhere. 

Yes because people will do that for a 4 day holiday. 

You are suggesting killing off the UK boat holiday market.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Norfolk Broads?

Not entered your mind at all,

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But you said this :

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

By taking the relevant exams, or boating elsewhere. 

in response to :

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

How will hirers therefore use the Severn, Avon, Upper Thames, and taken to it's logical extreme, parts of the Oxford and T & M?

Therefore that implies that you expect any river user to be licensed...

Edited by StephenA

1 minute ago, Graham Davis said:

You said "RIVERS" and therefore all the rivers I mentioned, PLUS the river sections of 2 canals would be "banned" by your (stupid) comments.

I am not familiar with all the rivers you mentioned, so assuming you were keeping up with the thread (obviously you weren't), that all the rivers you mentioned are tidal and hence applied to my comments. 

Just now, rusty69 said:

Clearly I am in a minority that believes private boat owners should be qualified to use tidal waters, so will leave it at that. 

But you didn't say "tidal" until people pointed out how impractical, if not impossible, your comments were. 

Clearly I am in a minority that believes private boat owners should be qualified to use tidal waters, so will leave it at that. 

You keep changing the goal posts.

And yes it would seem you are very much on your own in wanting to kill off the UK hire boat indystry.

Just now, rusty69 said:

As a matter of interest an ICC qualification is required to take your own boat  on inland waters  in some  EU countries including France , Netherlands etc

Would the ICC be considered an adequate qualification? If so the system for that is already in place.

I think it's a good idea .

Just now, MartynG said:

As a matter of interest an ICC qualification is required to take your own boat  on inland waters  in some  EU countries including France , Netherlands etc

Would the ICC be considered an adequate qualification? If so the system for that is already in place.

I think it's a good idea .

Not for hirers though and there in lies the difference. 

Do I believe in mandatory qualifications. 

No.

However I do believe in people taking their own responsibilities seriously. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Read the thread 

I tjink you should need your own advice!

Just now, rusty69 said:

I am not familiar with all the rivers you mentioned, so assuming you were keeping up with the thread (obviously you weren't), that all the rivers you mentioned are tidal and hence applied to my comments. 

If you aren't familiar with them, then perhaps you should try doing some research before making stupid comments.

For your information the Avon is navigable from Stratford on Avon to Tewkesbury, is in-land, and is NOT tidal, and neither funnily enough is the River Cherwell on the Oxford Canal, nor the River Trent on the T & M. Even the Severn is only partly tidal below Tewkesbury.

And yes I was keeping up with this thread, thank you.

Read the thread 

I have and you quite clearly said TIDAL!

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

If you aren't familiar with them, then perhaps you should try doing some research before making stupid comments.

For your information the Avon is navigable from Stratford on Avon to Tewkesbury, is in-land, and is NOT tidal, and neither funnily enough is the River Cherwell on the Oxford Canal, nor the River Trent on the T & M. Even the Severn is only partly tidal below Tewkesbury.

And yes I was keeping up with this thread, thank you.

Clearly you weren't otherwise you wouldn't be continually mis quoting me. 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

All tidal coastal and river pleasure craft users should be RYA qualified imo and compulsory VHF trained/equipped. 

Post 22!! 

Perhaps you need to read it again!!

Note the second and fifth words : TIDAL  and  RIVER!!

Edited by Graham Davis

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But you did say:

My bolding...  So you said that anyone using a river should be qualified and have VHF training.... Unless you meant tidal coastal and tidal river (is there such a thing as non tidal coastal?)

Edited by StephenA