Marie Stranded on the Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Yeah and for those who say VHF isn't needed cos I have a mobile phone :rolleyes: well does the skipper of such vessels have your phone number in his saved contacts? for when he is trying to tell boaters to keep clear if he is coming sideways on after losing power? and yes it did happen to us in 2000.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

How often do vessels this size come up the Trent as far as Keadby. I thought commercial traffic like this had mostly ended?

On a regular basis. Have you not noticed the wharves along the river?

The aggregate runs have stopped so you won't find much commercial traffic above Keadby although they do still do occasional runs with large objects usually for the power stations.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

How often do vessels this size come up the Trent as far as Keadby. I thought commercial traffic like this had mostly ended?

I havnt been up/down to Keadby for four years now but they were certainly a very regular occurance then and before. The smaller inland stuff has become much less. It only takes the one to do it anyway as if that hit a narrowboat it would be like stamping on a coke can.

For those that do Facebook there's some more pictures and a video on the NUG group  

For some reason the forums not letting me embed a link  

it's hard aground on the bank with quite a bit of prop out the water. I guess they are hoping the next tide is a spring! 

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

On a regular basis. Have you not noticed the wharves along the river?

The aggregate runs have stopped so you won't find much commercial traffic above Keadby although they do still do occasional runs with large objects usually for the power stations.

I've never been downstream of Keadby. Above Keadby there are wharves similar in size to some on the Severn but I wasn't sure whether they were in used, or how large the vessels using them are. The boat on the front of the Sissons Chart put the fear of God into me but I've not seen one that size. 

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

For those that do Facebook there's some more pictures and a video on the NUG group  

For some reason the forums not letting me embed a link  

it's hard aground on the bank with quite a bit of prop out the water. I guess they are hoping the next tide is a spring! 

Pictures from the group.

FB_IMG_1502036224185.jpg

FB_IMG_1502036232154.jpg

2 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

I've never been downstream of Keadby. Above Keadby there are wharves similar in size to some on the Severn but I wasn't sure whether they were in used, or how large the vessels using them are. The boat on the front of the Sissons Chart put the fear of God into me but I've not seen one that size. 

There are seagoing coasters op there. The Trent is great but it does wrankle with me when peeps discount the use of a cheap bit of kit such as a VHF radio. The times I tried to hail narrowboats on the non tidal bit downstream of Nottingham on blind bends etc and no response was just stupidity. A basic course and a hundred quid radio is all it takes. Even if you are too daft to take the course at least buy a radio and listen in and if the crap hits the fan use it in an emergency and no one is going to take you to prison.

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

These are only baby ones!

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There are seagoing coasters op there. The Trent is great but it does wrankle with me when peeps discount the use of a cheap bit of kit such as a VHF radio. The times I tried to hail narrowboats on the non tidal bit downstream of Nottingham on blind bends etc and no response was just stupidity. A basic course and a hundred quid radio is all it takes. Even if you are too daft to take the course at least buy a radio and listen in and if the crap hits the fan use it in an emergency and no one is going to take you to prison.

It is amazing how many ditch dwellers are experts on the Rivers and know all about VHF (not needing it - or the need for an anchor !!)

• Greenie 3

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is amazing how many ditch dwellers are experts on the Rivers and know all about VHF (not needing it - or the need for an anchor !!)

I'm moored up on the Severn at Stourport at the moment....I've only seen one crew on both narrowboats & cruisers come past wearing life jackets....now they may all be related to Duncan Goodhew(showing my age there I guess) but I wouldn't want to slip in for a swim here....I know the rivers not flowing fast but......

Just now, frangar said:

I'm moored up on the Severn at Stourport at the moment....I've only seen one crew on both narrowboats & cruisers come past wearing life jackets....now they may all be related to Duncan Goodhew(showing my age there I guess) but I wouldn't want to slip in for a swim here....I know the rivers not flowing fast but......

Which has what to do with contacting other vessels in an emergency?

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Even Duncan couldn't swim if unconscious. 

Which has what to do with contacting other vessels in an emergency?

It has everything to do with the attitude of some people to their own safety...I consider auto lifejackets, VHF & an anchor a minimum for rivers like the Severn & Trent. 

Last time we were at West Stockwith a boat went out with no Anchor, no VHF, no chart or even a guidebook & no lifejackets...they also readily admitted their phone was low on charge & credit.....all on a waterway that can have some large traffic..

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

It has everything to do with the attitude of some people to their own safety...I consider auto lifejackets, VHF & an anchor a minimum for rivers like the Severn & Trent. 

Last time we were at West Stockwith a boat went out with no Anchor, no VHF, no chart or even a guidebook & no lifejackets...they also readily admitted their phone was low on charge & credit.....all on a waterway that can have some large traffic..

Pretty much every time we go out on the Trent there are people who are woefully inadequately prepared. 

Sadly mostly ditch crawlers who assume the Trent is just the same as any other muddy ditch. Thankfully most make it back to safer waters unharmed but there are always those who find themselves in trouble and wishing they had been better prepared.

And the lock keeper at Selby has a few stories to tell of recent situations he has tried (not always successfully) to deter from going out onto the tidal water there. Going out is one thing, coming back in is another. We were glad to have heeded his advice not to go out (as the river was too high and the moorings at Naburn and York were well under water) disappoinbted though we were not to have ticked that stretch off our yet-to-do list.

Perhaps tidal lock keepers should make some checks before they let boats out onto tidal water.

I know of a boat that went down the Trent out of the Humber and to Lowestoft and back without a chart and with not one lifejacket on board. I gave the boat's skipper a Humber chart to get back home from Hull  but to be honest i doubt whether he could read it.

We always wear  lifejackets even on the non tidal river. 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

All tidal coastal and river pleasure craft users should be RYA qualified imo and compulsory VHF trained/equipped. 

Have you seen the standard of training given by some RYA instructors?

Some of it is down right dangerous!

Use a 1m length of rope wrapped around the risers and held onto in the bow in the large Trent locks for example!

Personally I will use my bow line toed back to the boat instead. Let the boat do the work rather than risk being pulled off the bow of the boat!

Just now, MartynG said:

Perhaps tidal lock keepers should make some checks before they let boats out onto tidal water.

I know of a boat that went down the Trent out of the Humber and to Lowestoft and back without a chart and with not one lifejacket on board. I gave the boat's skipper a Humber chart to get back home from Hull  but to be honest i doubt whether he could read it.

We always wear  lifejackets even on the non tidal river. 

We have seen Neil at Torksey and Mick at Boston refuse to let boats out before and both times on very good grounds. 

The lockie at Corpach last month very nearly didn't let a boat out as well as the crew were so incapacitated with booze, at 9am that they couldn't handle their boat.

In the end it was decide they were safer off the canal!

• Greenie 2

Have you seen the standard of training given by some RYA instructors?

Perhaps you had a bad instructor. But the point is, if private boat owners were better trained and had to pass a test, less problems would occur.