plug to plug

Featured Posts

hi all, i`m probably going to get slated for this but here goes,is it ok to take a length of   cable and put a three pin plug on both ends then plug one end into my inverter and the other end into the nearest socket that way all the sockets become live on the boat,apart from the obvious electrocution trap what do you think.many thanks,

5 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all, i`m probably going to get slated for this but here goes,is it ok to take a length of   cable and put a three pin plug on both ends then plug one end into my inverter and the other end into the nearest socket that way all the sockets become live on the boat,apart from the obvious electrocution trap what do you think.many thanks,

No

I have three pin plug on one end that goes into the inverter the other end connects to the cable I use when pluging into shore power this in turn goes through the consumer unit, there for the electrics are protected, the safer option.

1 hour ago, dreadnought said:

No sir. Never make male pins "live" ever. 

• Greenie 1

I think its stupid for the sake of an hour or so.

Feed from shoreline terminating in a 13 amp socket. Feed from inverter terminating in a 13 amp socket next to the shoreline one. fly lead from boat's mains system terminating in a 13 amp plug. That's it, plug into which ever you want with little danger of electrocution. However you need to get your RCD & MCB in the right place and for maximum protection may need 2.

Probably easier to fit s changer over switch.

• Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

No sir. Never make male pins "live" ever. 

I'm surprised that some cheap grid-tie inverters do make the male pins live. The idea is to plug them into a socket and send the meter into reverse. Not even sure that that works. They apparently only work for grid-tie so presumably sense the mains before making the pins live. Wouldn't think of using one that works way myself.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000W-Grid-Tie-Inverter-230V-MPPT-Pure-Sine-Wave-Inverter-50Hz-60Hz-Send-From-UK-/371278811308?var=&hash=item5671f110ac%3Am%3AmhNbZ3g9DMYJMaNfdpGXC5g&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad842a0a2-7ad4-11e7-b981-74dbd1a01749%7Cparentrq%3Ab8ccebd115d0a9c9768ddf8bffffb8c2%7Ciid%3A1

18 minutes ago, stegra said:

I'm surprised that some cheap grid-tie inverters do make the male pins live. The idea is to plug them into a socket and send the meter into reverse. Not even sure that that works. They apparently only work for grid-tie so presumably sense the mains before making the pins live. Wouldn't think of using one that works way myself.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000W-Grid-Tie-Inverter-230V-MPPT-Pure-Sine-Wave-Inverter-50Hz-60Hz-Send-From-UK-/371278811308?var=&hash=item5671f110ac%3Am%3AmhNbZ3g9DMYJMaNfdpGXC5g&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad842a0a2-7ad4-11e7-b981-74dbd1a01749%7Cparentrq%3Ab8ccebd115d0a9c9768ddf8bffffb8c2%7Ciid%3A1

I suppose if some sort of sensing device is used, then it could be deemed to be safe since the exposed pins shouldn't be able to become live, but the lead could be used on some other appliance? edit:  actually forget that bit, the lead is OK. Doesn't sit comfortably with me, somehow though.

Edited by Dylan

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I suppose if some sort of sensing device is used, then it could be deemed to be safe since the exposed pins shouldn't be able to become live, but the lead could be used on some other appliance? Doesn't sit comfortably with me, somehow.

The lead looks like a standard kettle lead so the inverter has the male pins. I agree that it probably senses the mains power. I hope that it cuts out if the plug is removed whilst in operation.

Ok, stupid question......Why would you want to. Isn't the whole purpose of an inverter to supply 240v to the sockets to power mains voltage appliances. I mean, why have an inverter if its not wired up to the sockets. Am I misunderstanding something.?

Edited by AllanC

5 minutes ago, AllanC said:

Ok, stupid question......Why would you want to. Isn't the whole purpose of an inverter to supply 240v to the sockets to power mains voltage appliances. I mean, why have an inverter if its not wired up to the sockets. Am I misunderstanding something.?

The inverter would supply the sockets by putting power into the circuit through one socket. The other sockets would be fed through the cabling between them. Still a silly thing to do.

1 hour ago, AllanC said:

So this could be a work around for occasions when you haven't got access to a 240v hook up. This presumably would bypass the fuseboard. If so, seems well dodgy.

It would also make the shore power inlet live. 

To answer your question, yes, it will work fine.

but..............

You will not go to heaven

You might go to the other place sooner than planned.

Your friends and family might also meet their maker sooner rather than later....but it will work.

..............Dave

17 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why not put a socket on one end?

I had in mind an extension lead from the integral inverter socket to the desired tool (plugged into the flying socket). What is wrong with that?

For the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't going to connect to any other sockets, because as others have said, that's ridiculously dangerous. Which was my point, too.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I had in mind an extension lead from the integral inverter socket to the desired tool (plugged into the flying socket). What is wrong with that?

Well, it will bypass the RCD which isn't a great idea. More to the point though, it doesn't answer the OP's question about making "all the sockets on the boat live". 

I would have thought the easiest way, as has already been said, would be to make a lead up with a 13 amp plug on the inverter end and a suitable plug/socket to fit the shoreline input on the other. That way at least all the boat's sockets should be protected by the RCD/MCB. However not so sure about the earthing implications of that with some inverters.