Montgomery restoration

Featured Posts

The new nature water reserves at Aston locks have now begun by Land and Water. I believe this is Heritage Lottery funding.

The Shropshire Union Society were hard at work at bridge 83. Today they were removing the canal bed blockwork laid in 2012 by WAG.

Progress to Crickheath expected by 2020. Kier are apparently contracted to help restore parts of this section.

20170806_124737.jpg

I note the newt fences.  The section between Bridge 83 and 84,which is not yet filled to navigation level,is full of fish and has a pair of swans on it. Compare this with the remains of the canal in Newtown.(A sewer pipe). If I may say,Your photo is with bridge 84 behind you. I would be interested to know why these engineering works are nessesary at this point.Is it bad ground conditions? The section between B r83 and Br 84 is lower than the navigation level. Is this because of a leak?. Very exiting to see this work underway. Also,the railway embankment at Pant has been removed,making walking the towpath much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

The environmental considerations have been a constant factor with this restoration, and perhaps a cause of delay and expense. 

Canal and railway restoration have had to contend with these concerns for a number of years now, and whilst the preservation of nature is important, so is the promotion of nature. Canal restoration improves the environment and brings back opportunities for fresh plant growth and new animal and invertebrate habitats. What should not happen, and sadly does, are those that command high fees for their opinions on such matters draining, in parasite fashion, the resources required to complete restoration. 

Had these persons not been around, the probability of the canal being open to Llanymynech could have been a reality, whether any injury to plants, fish, animals or invertebrates might have happened in consequence, is now a debatable issue, as is the benefits for nature had the canal been opened.