Speeding boats, Fossdyke and Witham

Kendorr

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

That is about what was in Boston when we were there, I think 4 on the visitor pontoons including us.  We saw very few boats at all on the Witham and most of those were narrowboats and widebeams.

And probably all visitors.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You get used to how your boat handles and get on with it.

As you didn't hit the boat clearly it wasn't a danger. If you don't think you can pass boats on a river perhaps you need a different pass time.

You misunderstood me: as a perfectly competent boater, both on canals/rivers, and having done inshore and offshore sailing, I am very well aware of how easy it is to damage fibreglass boats. They are not nicknamed Tupperware for nothing, so sensible narrowboaters move out of the way to avoid popping the tops off them.

Just now, Stilllearning said:

You misunderstood me: as a perfectly competent boater, both on canals/rivers, and having done inshore and offshore sailing, I am very well aware of how easy it is to damage fibreglass boats. They are not nicknamed Tupperware for nothing, so sensible narrowboaters move out of the way to avoid popping the tops off them.

You would have to try very very hard to pop the top off a plastic boat.

Are you off the ditch yet?

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

Just wondering here, but if a cruiser can struggle to go slower than 4.5 knots, how on earth do they manœuvre for mooring at pontoons etc on windy days?

To go very slow and to manoeuvre slowly its necessary to nudge it an and out of gear . Not something that is comfortable to do when going along as  steering tends to be vague.  Therefore tend to leave it at just over tickover to maintain steering.

23 minutes ago, MartynG said:

To go very slow and to manoeuvre slowly its necessary to nudge it an and out of gear . Not something that is comfortable to do when going along as  steering tends to be vague.  Therefore tend to leave it at just over tickover to maintain steering.

Or just trust in your ability to get the boat in the hole and go for it :)

https://youtu.be/4z5uS9YFnR0

Edited by Naughty Cal

11 hours ago, pearley said:

Wasn't us honestly.  Nice talking to you last week at Tattershall Bridge. We're leaving Boston today and heading back upstream but doubt if our speed will bother anyone. 6 or 7 cruisers have already left, presumably for Sunday lunch somewhere. Just hope there's room to moor.

You are moored by us at Woodhall Spa visitor moorings.

Edited by The Bearwood Boster

11 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Saw Fulbourne arrive in Newark last weekend.We are now at Woodhall Spa moorings.

We are back in Newark now, moored opposite the Castle, after an out and back weekend trip to Lincoln.

Tim

Thanks for all the comments, just had another interesting solo journey from Torksey To Keadby, where I managed to run aground making my turn into the lock!! A quick 360 degree pirouette, followed by a 180 and I was straight in, without running aground, it almost looked like I knew what I was doing!! Anyway, nice to be back in Thorne.

Back to the Witham and Fossdyke, I did wonder if some of the larger cruisers were actually going as slow as they could! However, is the speed limit really 6mph? I saw a sign asking for 3mph as I left Lincoln, then another asking for 6kph outside Burton Waters marina (very friendly people in there when I stopped for diesel) and then a 4mph one between Saxilby and Torksey, but never anything with 6mph on it.

Anyway, it's a nice stretch of water with some interesting places along the route. I'm sure I'll be back, but will probably only go down as far as Bardney, the long straights and the weed after there did do my ead in a bit!!

Kevin

18 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Thanks for all the comments, just had another interesting solo journey from Torksey To Keadby, where I managed to run aground making my turn into the lock!! A quick 360 degree pirouette, followed by a 180 and I was straight in, without running aground, it almost looked like I knew what I was doing!! Anyway, nice to be back in Thorne.

Back to the Witham and Fossdyke, I did wonder if some of the larger cruisers were actually going as slow as they could! However, is the speed limit really 6mph? I saw a sign asking for 3mph as I left Lincoln, then another asking for 6kph outside Burton Waters marina (very friendly people in there when I stopped for diesel) and then a 4mph one between Saxilby and Torksey, but never anything with 6mph on it.

Anyway, it's a nice stretch of water with some interesting places along the route. I'm sure I'll be back, but will probably only go down as far as Bardney, the long straights and the weed after there did do my ead in a bit!!

Kevin

It's 6mph on the Witham.

4mph on the Fossdyke apart from the approach to Lincoln which is 3mph.