Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Due to a technical issue with notification settings, we have reset the notification system. As such, we encourage members to review their notification preferences which can be done by clicking here.

Featured Posts

MartynG    12
8 hours ago, mango said:

Does anyone know why spiders like being in boats when they usually stay outside houses?

Spiders are certainly attracted to an environment near water. 

It was  something we noticed when we moved from a town to a village located near the river. Every window has its own spider. 

I am fairly sure  the attraction to water has more to do with the water being a good source of other insects upon which the spiders prey.

Similarly insects are attracted to light , so spiders will be attracted to the same spot.

mango    124
43 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Spiders are certainly attracted to an environment near water. 

It was  something we noticed when we moved from a town to a village located near the river. Every window has its own spider. 

I am fairly sure  the attraction to water has more to do with the water being a good source of other insects upon which the spiders prey.

Similarly insects are attracted to light , so spiders will be attracted to the same spot.

That seems a reasonable possibility.  Garden sheds seem to attract spiders, so I wonder if humidity is a factor.  Boats can be fairly humid because of people living in a confined space and use of unflued gas cookers, and often left unheated over the winter months.

rusty69    274
3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

An unlikely yarn you're spinning there...

(Edit to insert the quote)

Its too early for a joke thread! 

rusty69    274
2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

True! I can't think of any more, even though spiders are a rich source of material.

Its run out of legs already. 

WotEver    628
1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Its run out of legs already. 

They eight it when that happens. 

• Haha 1

My brother (who is a liveaboard) swears by this stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/No-More-Spiders-Deterrent-Repellent-Spray-500ml/B00T30EVPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502631817&sr=8-1&keywords=spiders+no+more

We have a arachnophobic daughter and also find this pretty effective as long as you keep up a weekly spraying regimen (spar around doors and windows)

We tried conkers - not much success.

AllanC    22
6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

An unlikely yarn you're spinning there...

Yes its just a web o flies.