Spiders

leeco

Featured Posts

We have been inundated with spiders this year. We never kill them but catch the biggest ones in a glass and evict them , they still find their way back in though. Spider poo is a nightmare, gets everywhere.

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

It's highly corrosive too.  I had to have the reflector of my vintage headlight re-chromed because of the damage the blighters did. 

Thought you would have one of these with an owl on

google.co.uk.jpg

On 06/08/2017 at 14:02, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't believe this, but it really works!  A few conkers in the fruit dish and they all but disappeared.

I didn't believe it either so I went to the park and gathered about 100 conkers. 

I hung them up in little netting bags all around the boat and they made no difference at all. Three weeks later the boat was still full of spiders, mostly living in the conker bags.

(I made that last bit up actually... :) )

We have quite a successful colony of false widow spiders on the boat at the moment.  Thankfully the biggest ones (and the mother of them all is BIG), lives outside and live behind the tunnel light.  She comes out about dusk and spins a new web, then sits in the middle of the cratch window, legs (arms?) optimistically outstretched.

Arachnophobes look away now:

Nothing on the Nephila spider we came across in Madagascar.  I did ask my wife to put her head alongside for scale, but for some reason she declined.  The abdomen of this beauty was about 80 mm long - note the rather nervous husband in the top right corner...

095Male and female spiders.JPG

Edited by dor

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I didn't believe it either so I went to the park and gathered about 100 conkers. 

I hung them up in little netting bags all around the boat and they made no difference at all. Three weeks later the boat was still full of spiders, mostly living in the conker bags.

(I made that last bit up actually... :) )

In the days when I was paid to climb trees I never found a lack of spiders in horse chestnuts

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

In the days when I was paid to climb trees I never found a lack of spiders in horse chestnuts

It doesnt work out in the fresh air. 

My boat gets loads of spiders on the outside - but not the interior. The magic conker vapour has to be given time to build up.  I expect full time boaters have the doors open too much .

On 09/08/2017 at 20:14, MartynG said:

It doesnt work out in the fresh air. 

My boat gets loads of spiders on the outside - but not the interior. The magic conker vapour has to be given time to build up.  I expect full time boaters have the doors open too much .

Ah back peddling like mad now then eh?

Conkers only work if you never open the doors, eh? Well I disagree. I keep my doors shut all the time and still the spiders thrive.

Someone must've hidden a load of conkers on our boat, cos we rarely get any spiders. When we're alongside there's a few outside which appear to live next door and use us as the other end of their webs. Other than that, I wonder what some folk are doing to attract so many. Anyway, you need to introduce a few thrushes - they'll  sort 'em out. 

Dunno about boats, but I've rarely seen a spider since I got a couple of mint plants in my bedroom. Seems to work a treat. And handy at lunchtime. (The plant, not the spiders.)

You can also use a spray bottle with water, peppermint oil and a teeny tiny drip of washing up liquid (to help displace the water).