Our new adventure day 15

Debs

Featured Posts

After watching "The Best Of Dave Allan" last night we settled down to a very peaceful sleep. Have you ever noticed that Robson Green is the spitting image of Dave Allen? Anyway, when we woke up this morning, the sun was out and the day looked very promising. We set off quite early as there was no internet connection to check emails, lottery numbers etc. (I have checked since then and it would appear that I will be going back to work after this holiday)

we had only been out for about 15 minutes when it started raining. Correction, it didn't start raining at all, it was Armageddon! The sky went black, raindrops the size of 5p pieces came down in power shower mode and, to counteract the dark skies, lightening flashed and thunder roard overhead! To coin a phrase from Mary Berry, "I ended up with a very soggy bottom!" as well as everything else. It was so bad that we decided to admit defeat and moor up until the worst of it was over. We emerged about an hour later to find that the horrendous weather had been replaced by amazing sunshine. To be fair, the whole day was a put on, take off, put on, take off etc day. 

As we passed through Enslow a gentleman on a boat called Lily Rose said hello. The then said that he has enjoyed reading about our adventure. I cannot tell you how chuffed I am that, not only does someone recognise me but he said he liked what he read, thank you so much.:Dx

We eventually came into Thrupp. I have to say, it's not my most favourite place. It's usually too busy to moor up and I'm not allowed into the pub, The Boat, as I was barred from there a few years ago for daring to criticise the food! His loss though as I do spend a lot of money eating in places that are good! This year, there were no boats moored up in the visitor moorings so maybe I'm not the only one who got barred! 

We eventually came up to the lock at Dukes Cut Junction where a friendly ginger cat came to say hello. He obviously lives close to the lock as he jumped up onto the gate like a pro! From that lock we did a sharp right into the next lock. That took us just above Kings Lock on the Thames. We have found a nice little mooring spot on the edge of a field and we have sat in the directors chairs taking in the delights of the countryside as well as a couple of glasses of wine. We are now, just over, two thirds through our adventure. Tomorrow,we intend to travel a little way up the Thames, weather permitting, and mooring up at one of our favourite places. 

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2660.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2671.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_8806.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

"As we passed through Enslow a gentleman on a boat called Lily Rose said hello."

That was me!

Hello again. We've been on an adventure of our own over the last 4 weeks, down the Oxford from Napton to Dukes Cut, then to Abingdon, then an about turn and up to Lechlade, then back to Oxford and onto the Oxford via Sheepwash Channel to experience Port Meadow again and to do the Oxford between Sheepwash and Dukes (for hopefully the one and only time). Bloody loved the Thames! Hopefully we'll return next year and go downstream from Abingdon.

We're now on our way back up to Napton and were mooring up for lunch when you passed us. We're now overnighting in Lower Heyford with breakfast at Tim's Kizzies Bistro planned for the morning before we set off again.

The tales of your adventures have interested and amused me, partly because some of it is territory I'm familiar with and some of it is territory I hope to do next year. Oh, and partly because your tales are written in an entertaining way!

From yesterdays post I expected our paths would cross so I wasn't surprised to see you. I didn't have the sense to moor up during todays thunder storm. It was earlier than, and worse than, I was expecting but I had my waterproofs on so just kept going. Turned out lovely later though.

Keep up the good work!

Sean

1 hour ago, MrBeethoven said:

"As we passed through Enslow a gentleman on a boat called Lily Rose said hello."

That was me!

Hello again. We've been on an adventure of our own over the last 4 weeks, down the Oxford from Napton to Dukes Cut, then to Abingdon, then an about turn and up to Lechlade, then back to Oxford and onto the Oxford via Sheepwash Channel to experience Port Meadow again and to do the Oxford between Sheepwash and Dukes (for hopefully the one and only time). Bloody loved the Thames! Hopefully we'll return next year and go downstream from Abingdon.

We're now on our way back up to Napton and were mooring up for lunch when you passed us. We're now overnighting in Lower Heyford with breakfast at Tim's Kizzies Bistro planned for the morning before we set off again.

The tales of your adventures have interested and amused me, partly because some of it is territory I'm familiar with and some of it is territory I hope to do next year. Oh, and partly because your tales are written in an entertaining way!

From yesterdays post I expected our paths would cross so I wasn't surprised to see you. I didn't have the sense to moor up during todays thunder storm. It was earlier than, and worse than, I was expecting but I had my waterproofs on so just kept going. Turned out lovely later though.

Keep up the good work!

Sean

Hi Sean

I cannot tell you how elated I was that someone recognised me! Thank you, once again. We started our boating history in Port Meadow when we bought our first boat, a 32' Dawncraft, from Bossoms boatyard 6.5 years ago. We have done this journey 3 times before but every time is totally different from the last. It's the first time doing it in a real narrowboat though! We have always gone the same way and when we come off the Oxford Canal, we always enter the Thames just above Kings lock. We have never gone through Oxford itself to get onto the Thames. We were thinking of going back onto the Oxford but turning right once we have spent the night at Farmoor reservoir just to see what it's like. When we bought the boat down from Cropredy back in May, we went into The Bell for lunch and we happened across actor Freddie Jones (Sandy from Emmerdale) who lives in the village. 

We love Abingdon and we weren't too upset last year when gale force winds made us stay there for two days. We found lots of different places to eat including tapas at The Brewery Tap. 

The Thames is a lovely river if you have time to explore it. I hope you carry on enjoying the next week or so of our adventure and I wish you all the luck, and good weather, for yours. 

Debs xxx

Hi Debs

When we came back from Lechlade we deliberately went past Dukes Cut (a week earlier and we would have had to anyway as there was a stoppage at the lock) partly to do Port Meadow again with family on the boat but mainly to do the Oxford through Jericho as this would otherwise be the only bit of the Oxford we hadn't done. I've got that out of my system now so I won't be doing that again (future Dukes Cut stoppages permitting). It "had to be done" for completeness but it's not a patch on the river at Port Meadow.

I was expecting the Farmoor stretch not to be very interesting due to the high embankments of the reservoir but it could only be seen briefly and I thought that section was very nice.

We only went to Abingdon this time as we live there and have been wanting to take the boat "home" ever since we bought it two years ago. Next time I intend to go much further downstream but not necessarily to go up the GU, more likely to come back up the Thames and the Oxford. I've got a year to think about that so I may change my mind.

We're only got the rest of the south Oxford, plus a little bit of the GU to Calcutt, to do for this trip  but still have a week left before we need to be home so will only be doing a few hours each day until next Sunday.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. 

Sean

8 hours ago, MrBeethoven said:

Hi Debs

When we came back from Lechlade we deliberately went past Dukes Cut (a week earlier and we would have had to anyway as there was a stoppage at the lock) partly to do Port Meadow again with family on the boat but mainly to do the Oxford through Jericho as this would otherwise be the only bit of the Oxford we hadn't done. I've got that out of my system now so I won't be doing that again (future Dukes Cut stoppages permitting). It "had to be done" for completeness but it's not a patch on the river at Port Meadow.

I was expecting the Farmoor stretch not to be very interesting due to the high embankments of the reservoir but it could only be seen briefly and I thought that section was very nice.

We only went to Abingdon this time as we live there and have been wanting to take the boat "home" ever since we bought it two years ago. Next time I intend to go much further downstream but not necessarily to go up the GU, more likely to come back up the Thames and the Oxford. I've got a year to think about that so I may change my mind.

We're only got the rest of the south Oxford, plus a little bit of the GU to Calcutt, to do for this trip  but still have a week left before we need to be home so will only be doing a few hours each day until next Sunday.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. 

Sean

Hi Sean. Yes have never gone through Oxford itself but we probably will tomorrow. Again, as you said, it has to be done! I'm hoping that next year we will be retired so we can explore the canal system whilst we're still young enough to appreciate it. You enjoy your trip too. If we come across each other again, maybe we'll have a beer together. (That's all of us not just you and me) :huh: x

"Steady on" I thought, "that's a bit forward of someone I only met for about 3 seconds". And what would Mrs B. think?

But then you clarified what you meant. Phew!

I'm a bit envious of you being on the mighty river when I'm now back to muddy ditches and missing the river terribly. So much so that I almost want to get back to the marina asap so I can go home and be near the river again. But then I'd be miserable without the boat. Oh well, I guess it will pass eventually and then I can enjoy these muddy ditches for the rest of the summer (hah! What summer?) whilst looking for ward to the Thames next year.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Those two swans you photographed are next to my boat, you should have pulled in for a drink. :)

You should have given us a shout and we would have! Xx