Work checking

Pastida@1

Featured Posts

Hi.  We will be fitting out our sailaway when it is ready later this year.  I don't see any problems doing the work itself as I've been a kitchen and bathroom fitter for many years and was once a registered electrician too.  My question is do I need to get any of the work checked off by an inspector.  

2 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

Hi.  We will be fitting out our sailaway when it is ready later this year.  I don't see any problems doing the work itself as I've been a kitchen and bathroom fitter for many years and was once a registered electrician too.  My question is do I need to get any of the work checked off by an inspector.  

Are you going to make it RCD compliant?

2 minutes ago, Pastida@1 said:

It will be rcd compliant up to the supplied stage.  I know I don't need to do that and can't sell the boat for 5 years.  If I were to make it rcd compliant would that need inspections. 

You can do it yourself but its not totally straightforward. There are lots of other threads on here re the subject that may help you out

2 hours ago, Pastida@1 said:

Thanks for that I have only just joined the site so will have a look around.  

I'm unsure whether it was clear to you earlier in the thread but if you are not going for RCD compliance then you do not have to have the work inspected. 

If you are going for RCD compliance then the surveyor who is writing up the paperwork for you will need to inspect it at certain stages. He will advise you on this. 

Even if you are not going for RCD compliance you still have to exceed the BSS requirements. https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

Note that experience as a land based sparky is of singularly little use for boat electrics. 

Enjoy your boat :)

Tony

Thanks Tony.  That's the type of answer I was looking for.  Learned something already.  I will have a word with an inspector and take it from there.

Can't wait to get started.  Boat only just ordered.  Should be sailaway in Nov

Cheers

John 

Thanks Tony.  That's the type of answer I was looking for.  Learned something already.  I will have a word with an inspector and take it from there.

Can't wait to get started.  Boat only just ordered.  Should be sailaway in Nov

Cheers

John 

I have read through all the pages on that link. Really useful info for me.  Helped a lot