Swans attack

PD1964

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes I am sure, but the caveat is that it must be on your own land, or land that you manage, or with the landowner's permission:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-for-health-or-safety-purposes

Ah the general license I had forgotten that.  The quote from the NON Native Secretariat is a little misleading. It also requires as your link says An H &S or Health problem to be solved not just a dislike of the bird.

Edited by Jerra

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

It also requires as your link says An H &S or Health problem to be solved not just a dislike of the bird.

"These geese are shitting all over the place and that caused a health hazard". 

I guess that would work. 

Just now, WotEver said:

"These geese are shitting all over the place and that caused a health hazard". 

I guess that would work. 

It might I suspect it would depend on the personal view of the official/court dealing with the case.

Some time back I went fishing with my other half ,he was fishing .i  sunbathing ,that was until there was this almighty screaming and shouting this swan was trying its utmost to serious harm to a fellow fisherman ,every one on the pool had to take cover in there cars ,when the swan had got now one else to attack ,,he turned on another swan ,it was horrific ,,I said it was like it was a fight to the death ,,,and how right I was it killed the other swan ,,the RSPCA where called and they had to shot it . I have seen first hand what damage the swan can do ,,I would not want to see anything like that again 

Dealing with an aggressive goose is perfectly straightforward. Grab it behind the head and turn its head around to point away from you. Then lead it to the water's edge and shove it in. The paddling reflex kicks in and it forgets all about you.

I have the feeling this would work just as well with a swan but I've never tried it.

6 hours ago, haza said:

Some time back I went fishing with my other half ,he was fishing .i  sunbathing ,that was until there was this almighty screaming and shouting this swan was trying its utmost to serious harm to a fellow fisherman ,every one on the pool had to take cover in there cars ,when the swan had got now one else to attack ,,he turned on another swan ,it was horrific ,,I said it was like it was a fight to the death ,,,and how right I was it killed the other swan ,,the RSPCA where called and they had to shot it . I have seen first hand what damage the swan can do ,,I would not want to see anything like that again 

If you Google swans fighting you will find multiple instances of this being reported. I have witnessed swans fighting viscously near  Redhill on the river Soar and seen first hand how they will try to drown each other by grabbing the neck and holding the head under water. Whilst it is very frightening to watch it is after just nature at work with one swan trying to become dominant or trying to protect its territory. 

What surprises me is you say the RSPCA had to shoot the swan do you mean the swan that won? If so then I wonder why they did that as the dominant swan was just doing what nature dictates and once the fight was over things return to their natural order I. E the dominant swan takes over or retains its dominance whichever the case may be. 

Whether the RSPCA have the right to shoot a Swan because it is scaring people, if in fact that is what they did,  is debatable. 

Taking it as a hypothetical If a swan is so territorial in a public space e.g park pond,  should the swan be put down or shot in order to protect the peace of the pond?

I will add the caveat that I do not know if that is what actually occurred in this case but I think the question holds

Added This link as I think some of the pensioners talk a lot of sense

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/17/pensioners-tool-up-to-fight-swans/

Edited by reg
Spelckr thinks swans like to draw each other

The reason given for the swan being shot was because it was suffering so much from is injuries and truama we did not see it being shot but everyone there watch as the two swans where put into bags and took away ,what I witnessed  I did so did others I'm not in the habit of lying 

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, haza said:

The reason given for the swan being shot was because it was suffering so much from is injuries and truama we did not see it being shot but everyone there watch as the two swans where put into bags and took away ,what I witnessed  I did so did others I'm not in the habit of lying 

Sorry I wasn't calling you a liar, wouldn't do that. I sincerely apologise if it came across like that. Given you a greener as a small compensation. 

That is why I posed the question a a hypothetical.

When I said

"Whether the RSPCA have the right to shoot a Swan because it is scaring people, if in fact that is what they did,  is debatable"

I meant did they shoot it because it was scaring people I was not contesting whether it was put down or not. My poor use of the language 

You of appeared to of answered the hypothetical in that the reason was because of injuries and trauma and not public nuisance. 

Edited by reg

27 minutes ago, haza said:

That's hopeless - if you were in the habit of lying then you might be lying about your habit of lying.   :)

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, haza said:

Did it break anyone's arm (male or female)?

Swans can be a bit of a bugger as this clip shows attacking a dog in a park.     Though TBH if that was my dog rather than keep it there I think I would have moved off, but it goes to show that Swans can be menacing towards other animals which are showing no agrees ion towards them.

Think in this case the dog was more sensible then its owner!    

2 hours ago, Dharl said:

Swans can be a bit of a bugger as this clip shows attacking a dog in a park.     Though TBH if that was my dog rather than keep it there I think I would have moved off, but it goes to show that Swans can be menacing towards other animals which are showing no agrees ion towards them.

How many legs did this dog have broken?

16 hours ago, haza said:

And none of the fishermen/women/people thought to use their rods/poles/catapaults to protect themselves? They all ran back to their cars?

2 hours ago, Dharl said:

But look at where the clip was shot. The swan was just fed up with all these Humans knowing their Rights.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dharl said:

Swans can be a bit of a bugger as this clip shows attacking a dog in a park.   

Having watched the clip from beginning to end I didn't see a swan attacking a dog!   I saw a swan performing a threat display at a potential predator.  The dog was never even touched as far as I can see.

39 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Having watched the clip from beginning to end I didn't see a swan attacking a dog!   I saw a swan performing a threat display at a potential predator.  The dog was never even touched as far as I can see.

It can break an arm with a stern look!

7 hours ago, bizzard said:

As well as wings Swans have good strong lungs too. They've been seen by airline pilots flying merrily along at 30,000 ft or so.

Pah! Rüpell's Vulture can almost double that :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_by_flight_heights

14 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

I can't match that! I'd best swan off.

Stick it to 'im, Jim. 

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

And with this dog being sensible enough not to respond, not helped by it's owner trying to drag the dog closer!    However dogs are also territorial so if a swan was in their 'area' they could respond in like.  

Nature is red in tooth and claw, never mind beaks and wings breaking a mans arm ( and he is getting very tired of that) 

4 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The Goose in question was a Greylag.

phil

A native species so fully protected by the Wildlife and Countryside Act.

Sorry I should have added outside the Shooting Season which in England is (I think) 1/9 - 20/2

Edited by Jerra