Swans attack

PD1964

Featured Posts

I fought off a male swan with a canoe paddle at least 8 times whilst going in a straight line on a wide canal. The bastard is known for his aggressive anti canoe tactics to the extent that the junior British canoe team no longer are allowed on that stretch Feb to Aug.

Between Norton junction and watford flight -nest usually near Welton Hythe marina)

3 hours ago, Heffalump said:

I know that this thread is a piss take by someone who's had one too many shandies but:

Someone on our marina took to destroying a Swan's nest near her boat, likewise a goose nest. Somebody reported her which resulted in a visit by the RSPCA and the Police.

The boater got lucky and got away with a caution 

Phil 

So a swan will break a man's arm, but not a woman's.  And black and white swans attack each other.  So not only sexist but racist?  And we protect them?

BTW, I've heard about Swan Upping.  How do you up a swan, or anything else for that matter?

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Reg, I think you have answered your own question.

No one is forced to read or contribute to any thread. Those who are enjoying this one may continue to do so as long as they do not breachany rules. Others may ignore it. That seems fair enough to me.

Fully agree only made the first pointless comment in order that I could insert the second pointless comment,  standard pointless thread tactics. 

And by the way I believe you have just spawned a new word that is worthy of a dictionary entry. 

Breachany 

Has a lovely ring to it

Edited by reg

There were two normous 100 ton metal swans too, with chimneys which could easily break yer arm too, as well as also. A4 Mallard in the NRM York and Wild Swan which was dismembered and had for dinner.

7 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

So a swan will break a man's arm, but not a woman's.  And black and white swans attack each other.  So not only sexist but racist?  And we protect them?

BTW, I've heard about Swan Upping.  How do you up a swan, or anything else for that matter?

When we were moored in Abingdon a couple of weeks ago we walked down to the bridge to watch the swan uppers reach the end of their journey. Sadly they arrived a little early so we only got to see them downing champagne, not upping any swans. So I'm afraid I can't answer your question.

The next day we went upstream and couldn't help noticing there were many many dozens of swans there. I suspect they've got wind of this upping stuff and, whatever it is, they aren't too keen on it so they outwit the uppers by moving to Oxford for a while. When we came the other way through there a week later there were noticeably fewer swans so I think that proves it.

I put on a bit more power as we came through as it seemed a very dangerous place as I've heard a swan can break a man's arm. I didn't want to be that man so we got out of there like a bat out of hell, must have been at least 4.5mph.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is that a fact? 

I'm not 100% sure about it.

I'm also unsure if it's any swan or if "a swan" means one swan in particular, in which case I'd like to know where it is so I can stay well clear.

Come to think of it, maybe "a man" is referring to one particular bloke (who must be cursing his luck, assuming he knows it's him). 

In which case I'm safe.

Unless it's me. Oh no, now I'll have to add that to my list of things to worry about.

8 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

........  Oh no, now I'll have to add that to my list of things to worry about.

I often worry that I've missed something I should be worrying about. 

The whole point of social media and 24 hr news appears to be that it allows you to maintain your list of things to worry about. 

9 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I have. Break your arm with their wings - or something like that... :P

Check post 60 and you will see that Alan has dispelled that myth once and for all. It was all  misunderstanding