Scottish guide book(s)

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a good guide book for the Scottish canals? One where it'll give historical info, point out places of interest, etc.

There's one Nicholson's guide which is about £150. Seems a tad steep! OK, it's all the canals in one book, but come on Nicholson's, I'd rather buy separate guide books as and when required. Same with their map. I have that and it's useless for Scotland.

I've bought and downloaded the Waterway Route maps, but they've no historical/POI stuff. Great maps for route planning though. Highly recommended.

Along with the SC Skipper's Guide on the boat we always have:

Exploring the Edinburgh to Glasgow Canals. Hamish Brown. Mercat Press, Edinburgh, 2006. ISBN 1-84183-096-8. Based on walking the towpath but plenty of current and historical information.

From Sea to Sea - A History of the Scottish Lowland and Highland Canals. Len Paterson. Neil Wilson Publishing, Glasgow, 2006. ISBN 1-903238-94-3. Fairly detailed history including the re-opening. 

We bought both these a few years ago at the Falkirk Wheel so I don't know if they're still available. There were copies in Kirkintilloch library last year.

Ken.

Funnily enough, the book Canals Across Scotland: Walking, Cycling, Boating, Visiting by Hamish Brown is the one I was interested in getting, but wasn't sure if it was any good.

I'll keep his two books in my Amazon wishlist.  :)

On 05/08/2017 at 17:58, Moorings said:

Along with the SC Skipper's Guide on the boat we always have:

Exploring the Edinburgh to Glasgow Canals. Hamish Brown. Mercat Press, Edinburgh, 2006. ISBN 1-84183-096-8. Based on walking the towpath but plenty of current and historical information.

From Sea to Sea - A History of the Scottish Lowland and Highland Canals. Len Paterson. Neil Wilson Publishing, Glasgow, 2006. ISBN 1-903238-94-3. Fairly detailed history including the re-opening. 

We bought both these a few years ago at the Falkirk Wheel so I don't know if they're still available. There were copies in Kirkintilloch library last year.

Ken.

We sell both of these books at http://www.canalbookshop.co.uk/scotland.html

Peter

Canal Book Shop

5 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Nicholson added the Scottish canals to their range a few issues ago, but dropped it on the next issue. I've been looking for one, but if they're going for £150, I think I'll forget it!

The numpties are probably dropping it due to low sales. No wonder!

I checked Amazon and several other book sellers. All were about the same £150 price. Screw that!

I bought this book (it's about A5 size) and it seems quite good. The 'maps' in it are a bit naff (but that's OK, I'll use the Waterway ones) but it does say what's where and a bit of history. It'll do for a start.  :)

Canals Across Scotland: Walking, Cycling, Boating, Visiting
Paperback – 20 Oct 2015 by Hamish Brown
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1849951624/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Don't forget the ecanalmapp app which was free to Scottish boaters when launched 2 years or so ago. Now taken over by RCR, it may well be the case that it is still free to Scottish boat licence holders.

The Nicholson Scottish Canals guide was published to coincide with the re-opening of the Lowland Canals and as sales were very poor, rather that drop it straight away, a fold out version was produced. It was the same size as the Nicholson Inland Waterways Map of Great Britain with the mapping of the Scottish Waterways on one side and all the text from the original guide printed on the other side. Again sales were very poor and reluctantly it was dropped. The prices now being charged on the net by antiquarian and s/h book dealers purely reflect the rarity of an edition produced in small numbers rather than any merit on its part!

Waterways of Britain, published as a Collins/Nicholson imprint, contains 27 pages on Scottish waterways https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterways-Britain-illustrated-waterways-Nicholson/dp/0008195471/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502609730&sr=8-1&keywords=waterways+of+britain This is a paperback version of the hardback Times Waterways of Britain originally published in 2010 and now available on the net for peanuts – both remaindered copies and s/h editions: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Waterways-Britain-Jonathan-Mosse/dp/0007366337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502609886&sr=8-1&keywords=times+waterways+of+britain

• 3 years later...
On 13/08/2017 at 08:39, Up-Side-Down said:

Don't forget the ecanalmapp app which was free to Scottish boaters when launched 2 years or so ago. Now taken over by RCR, it may well be the case that it is still free to Scottish boat licence holders.

The Nicholson Scottish Canals guide was published to coincide with the re-opening of the Lowland Canals and as sales were very poor, rather that drop it straight away, a fold out version was produced. It was the same size as the Nicholson Inland Waterways Map of Great Britain with the mapping of the Scottish Waterways on one side and all the text from the original guide printed on the other side. Again sales were very poor and reluctantly it was dropped. The prices now being charged on the net by antiquarian and s/h book dealers purely reflect the rarity of an edition produced in small numbers rather than any merit on its part!

Waterways of Britain, published as a Collins/Nicholson imprint, contains 27 pages on Scottish waterways https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterways-Britain-illustrated-waterways-Nicholson/dp/0008195471/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502609730&sr=8-1&keywords=waterways+of+britain This is a paperback version of the hardback Times Waterways of Britain originally published in 2010 and now available on the net for peanuts – both remaindered copies and s/h editions: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Times-Waterways-Britain-Jonathan-Mosse/dp/0007366337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502609886&sr=8-1&keywords=times+waterways+of+britain

As mentioned all that time ago, RCR took over eCanalMapp from Mike Kelly when he retired and it can now be downloaded free from the platform of your choice – see WaterNav. Instead of seven or so different regional apps, there is now just the one containing all the navigable UK waterways. The Scottish canals are the only ones that have not yet been updated and this is a work in progress that has been taken on by the Lowland Canals Association.

Just picked up the fold out map version of the Scottish guide for £4.50 and I know somebody who picked up the book fairly recently for less than a tenner. Like all s/h books, it's a matter of checking on the internet regularly to see what's about and at what price. Although an Amazon offshoot, ABE Books is often a good starting point.

• Greenie 1

Yes, I managed to get a copy of the 2003 Nicholson #8 (Scotland - the highland & lowland waterways). Only a couple of quid from Abe Books. It's probably outdated with regards to surrounding places like pubs, shops, etc., but it's still good info.

Another one I have (as PDF) is the Waterway Routes map (https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/blog/shop/70m12/). Again, only a couple of quid and it's great for facilities at a mooring, timing, etc. but has nothing on shops, etc.

Then there's OpenCanalMap (https://opencanalmap.uk/) which has some of the F&C on it. That was me (used data from the above two sources). It uses an overlay for Google Maps. So works on phones, browsers, etc.

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Yes, I managed to get a copy of the 2003 Nicholson #8 (Scotland - the highland & lowland waterways). Only a couple of quid from Abe Books. It's probably outdated with regards to surrounding places like pubs, shops, etc., but it's still good info.

Another one I have (as PDF) is the Waterway Routes map (https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk/blog/shop/70m12/). Again, only a couple of quid and it's great for facilities at a mooring, timing, etc. but has nothing on shops, etc.

Then there's OpenCanalMap (https://opencanalmap.uk/) which has some of the F&C on it. That was me (used data from the above two sources). It uses an overlay for Google Maps. So works on phones, browsers, etc.

Well, what an investment Ronnie! When you tire of it put it back on the net and recoup a three figure sum! But you're right, I did the research for it in August 2002 and it's hopelessly out of date as far as pubs, POIs and much of the local detail is concerned. In either its book or map form it doesn't move out of the warehouse quicker enough to meet HCP targets, who actually make a big slice of their income from warehousing books, not only their own titles but for many other publishers as well.

The WaterNav app used the basic Nics database when the Scottish coverage was undertaken about 6 years ago and all the waterways were boated end to end by a Sea Otter that was tugged around Scotland behind a large four wheel drive truck. So it's more up to date and should be bang on once the LCA have done their stuff. You could contribute towards their efforts once School Days casts off. It should soon have functionality whereby individual boaters cruising the system can update it directly ......... you can remind me what the term is for this?

17 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Well, what an investment Ronnie! When you tire of it put it back on the net and recoup a three figure sum! But you're right, I did the research for it in August 2002 and it's hopelessly out of date as far as pubs, POIs and much of the local detail is concerned. In either its book or map form it doesn't move out of the warehouse quicker enough to meet HCP targets, who actually make a big slice of their income from warehousing books, not only their own titles but for many other publishers as well.

The WaterNav app used the basic Nics database when the Scottish coverage was undertaken about 6 years ago and all the waterways were boated end to end by a Sea Otter that was tugged around Scotland behind a large four wheel drive truck. So it's more up to date and should be bang on once the LCA have done their stuff. You could contribute towards their efforts once School Days casts off. It should soon have functionality whereby individual boaters cruising the system can update it directly ......... you can remind me what the term is for this?

The WaterNav app shows as a beta version on Google Play, but when you visit the RCR site, click to the buy the app, and you get an error. Even then, the beta hasn't been updated since about November last year.

13 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

The WaterNav app shows as a beta version on Google Play, but when you visit the RCR site, click to the buy the app, and you get an error. Even then, the beta hasn't been updated since about November last year.

I'll pass your comments on to Neil of the LCA who is coordinating the Scottish update.

It's running fine on my IOS device but things may not have caught up on Android (if that's the platform concerned here). When Mike Kelly originally developed the App anything to do with Android (and any of their system updates) were an absolute nightmare because of the variations in the hardware – the various permutations of where the memory lived being fundamental to the problems encountered. You can say what you like about Steve Jobs's business model but the fact that Apple controls hardware and software certainly ensured Mike's sanity during system upgrades. 

I can say many things about the Apple way of things, but none of it is repeatable here.  :D

I've emailed the WaterNav people to mention about the website error. Just in case. Although, I notice the desktop software is Windows only. Pfft! Needs a Linux version.  :)

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I can say many things about the Apple way of things, but none of it is repeatable here.  :D

I've emailed the WaterNav people to mention about the website error. Just in case. Although, I notice the desktop software is Windows only. Pfft! Needs a Linux version.  :)

And there was me thinking that Apple programming was not a million miles from Linux ....... but as a complete IT numpty I can only go on what I've been told Ronnie. I realise that it's your forte. Knowing Mike Kelly fairly well (he shared the Nics database way back before apps had ever been thought of and had developed a laptop-based canal navigation system) his message was always that as a software developer, operating updates on IOS caused him no problems, while Android updates were the stuff from which nightmares were made. In fact he sub-contracted these updates out to an American programmer who eventually committed suicide. I can't, however, say that the cause of his demise lies directly at the door of Microsoft etc .........

7 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

And there was me thinking that Apple programming was not a million miles from Linux ....... but as a complete IT numpty I can only go on what I've been told Ronnie. I realise that it's your forte. Knowing Mike Kelly fairly well (he shared the Nics database way back before apps had ever been thought of and had developed a laptop-based canal navigation system) his message was always that as a software developer, operating updates on IOS caused him no problems, while Android updates were the stuff from which nightmares were made. In fact he sub-contracted these updates out to an American programmer who eventually committed suicide. I can't, however, say that the cause of his demise lies directly at the door of Microsoft etc .........

Ironically, it's usually easier to get Windows software running on Linux. WINE is a thing you can use on Linux that will try and run Windows software. Works quite well with a lot of big name stuff (https://appdb.winehq.org/).

But I get why people don't develop paid software for Linux as, like the Scottish guide books, the market just isn't big enough to make it worthwhile.

Edited by ronnietucker