Sliding hatch brush.

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, blackrose said:

On my boat the gaps are at the back rather than the front or sides as shown in Luggsy's picture. The lip of the hatch goes over the top of the doors so I'm not sure how the brush would work?

IMG_20170809_074843.jpg

Yours is similar to our boat. Ours has brushes mounted on the slide that fill in the little gap that you can just see behind your locked slide bolts. 

I must admit to being slightly curious as to why you want to block the drafts through the little gap when you probably have a great big vent as strongly advised by the BSS for your stove, gas cooker and crew.

Added - or do you block the BSS advised vent in winter??

Edited by Chewbacka

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I must admit to being slightly curious as to why you want to block the drafts through the little gap when you probably have a great big vent as strongly advised by the BSS for your stove, gas cooker and crew.

Last time we had a gas man check our appliances at home he gave me a sheet advising us not to use the gas job in the kitchen because there was no fixed ventilation!

i pointed out that no-one had suffocated yet, nor had the flames ever changed colour. 

5 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Given that rationale I am curious as to why you don't leave your doors wide open in winter? :P

I would like to block draughts through the gaps because my fixed ventilation is perfectly adequate and I don't want more ventilation than necessary. 

And no I don't block any vents in winter.

Edited by blackrose

On 10/08/2017 at 08:47, frangar said:

Gaps like that can be counted towards high level ventilation...saves cluttering the roof with mushrooms and the like

Our last share boat failed it's first BSS examination on lack of high level fixed ventilation, because two of the mushrooms had fans in them. I tried arguing that the fans had a blade to free air space ratio, so we should look at them and agree how much of an obstruction they actually caused, as it certainly wouldn't be 100%, but the examiner wasn't having any of it. 

I then pointed out the large gaps around the the back doors, slide and side hatch. He said this was "fortuitous ventilation" and not designed in, so couldnt be taken into account. I asked him how the air knew that it couldn't come in through the gaps around the doors etc, and had to come in through the desired in vents. He didn't answer!

Thing is there were around 100 similar boats in the scheme, and the only ones that failed (4 boats) were at one particular boatyard, who used one particular examiner.

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Our last share boat failed it's first BSS examination on lack of high level fixed ventilation, because two of the mushrooms had fans in them. I tried arguing that the fans had a blade to free air space ratio, so we should look at them and agree how much of an obstruction they actually caused, as it certainly wouldn't be 100%, but the examiner wasn't having any of it. 

I then pointed out the large gaps around the the back doors, slide and side hatch. He said this was "fortuitous ventilation" and not designed in, so couldnt be taken into account. I asked him how the air knew that it couldn't come in through the gaps around the doors etc, and had to come in through the desired in vents. He didn't answer!

Thing is there were around 100 similar boats in the scheme, and the only ones that failed (4 boats) were at one particular boatyard, who used one particular examiner.

I think I'd have shown him the door....or the cut! 

Just now, frangar said:

I think I'd have shown him the door....or the cut! 

I did, and asked the owner of the share boat company for the info regarding boats which had failed their BSS inspections, on what grounds and where they were located. 

The guy came back when the next co-owners were about to start their holiday and slapped a prohibition notice on the cooker, saying it couldn't be used until there was more high level fixed ventilation.  

They capitulated, not fancying a holiday without a cooker, and the end result was a huge grille fitted to the back door, which everyone covered up in winter, because of the draught it caused. :closedeyes:

36 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I did, and asked the owner of the share boat company for the info regarding boats which had failed their BSS inspections, on what grounds and where they were located. 

The guy came back when the next co-owners were about to start their holiday and slapped a prohibition notice on the cooker, saying it couldn't be used until there was more high level fixed ventilation.  

They capitulated, not fancying a holiday without a cooker, and the end result was a huge grille fitted to the back door, which everyone covered up in winter, because of the draught it caused. :closedeyes:

Thankfully my surveyor applies common sense. I hope the chap in question isn't working anymore...he's the sort that gives H & S a bad name.