Mooring on the Coventry Canal - the bottom bit!

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Took my yearly trip down the five and half this weekend, seemed a little better this year, although still a little messy at the hobby horse pub, usual bags hanging from the railings.

No stops for clearing the prop, in fact i have never had issues over the 6 or so trips, did see a smaller boat stopped next to tesco and they said they had been down a couple of times, two carrier bags full! maybe i have just been lucky.

If i was going to moor anywhere between hawkesbury and the basin and be leaving my boat, it would only really be at the longford engine as there are live aboards on the offside, would moor at the pub and have a couple of pints, then walk the rest to the ricoh.

If mooring in the basin, be mindful there is now a nightclub, never heard any music, just the students coming out at 2am singing.

Dont be tempted to cut corners, the near side is just as shallow as the offside, took me twenty minutes to get off the bank Saturday.

Dave, thanks for the in depth response - although it sounds a bit shallow!

......seriously no, that's good.

We are at the Barley Mo tonight heading up to the Ashby for a week and will give the 'five and a half a quick trip on the way back. SWMBO wants to go to Decathlon! so will try it early next week.  What was the mooring in the basin like......busy? I'm getting well practised at clearing out the weed hatch so not a drama any more. Looks like Longford seems a good bet so will try and suss it out.  Plan is to try out the Greyhound tomorrow and hopefully catch the Liverpool game on the telly in the evening on the boat. Thanks again for the info....what a great forum.

11 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Dave, thanks for the in depth response - although it sounds a bit shallow!

......seriously no, that's good.

We are at the Barley Mo tonight heading up to the Ashby for a week and will give the 'five and a half a quick trip on the way back. SWMBO wants to go to Decathlon! so will try it early next week.  What was the mooring in the basin like......busy? I'm getting well practised at clearing out the weed hatch so not a drama any more. Looks like Longford seems a good bet so will try and suss it out.  Plan is to try out the Greyhound tomorrow and hopefully catch the Liverpool game on the telly in the evening on the boat. Thanks again for the info....what a great forum.

I have always moored in the basin, never struggled for a spot.

Its not shallow in most of the channel, although there are a couple of stretches that can be and you would be wise to drop the revs, maybe people that have problems try to gun it through the shallow parts... The last bend, under the new bridge and next to the new housing estate is very shallow from about three foot close to the bank, this is where we got stuck on saturday, mrs was steering and looking at the shiny new houses!

Enjoy the Ashby!

Saw Vidor waiting patiently for you to come home at Hawkesbury Junction when we came past last Saturday.

She looks very smart now she in no longer a "yellow peril" :D, almost didn't recognise her,  but we passed close enough to read the name of the of the licence.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Saw Vidor waiting patiently for you to come home at Hawkesbury Junction when we came past last Saturday.

She looks very smart now she in no longer a "yellow peril" :D, almost didn't recognise her,  but we passed close enough to read the name of the of the licence.

ha, i think it looks a right mess at the minute, was treating rust and applying primer at the weekend, all ready to slap some paint on in the next couple of weeks, booked for a blacking also in a few weeks.

Must have just missed you then, we set off from there at about 11am.

The steam and historic narrowboat gatherings have to date been held at Swan Lane, also the base for the Coventrian, and include a run to both the Greyhound pub and then the Basin in the Sunday.

We have had no issue getting EmilyAnne (2ft8) or any of the other boats up to the Basin (many deeper yet) and back down.

Space permitting I'm sure you would have no issues mooring outside swan lane for a day or two opersite thier offside moorings.

Daniel

13 hours ago, DHutch said:

The steam and historic narrowboat gatherings have to date been held at Swan Lane, also the base for the Coventrian, and include a run to both the Greyhound pub and then the Basin in the Sunday.

We have had no issue getting EmilyAnne (2ft8) or any of the other boats up to the Basin (many deeper yet) and back down.

Space permitting I'm sure you would have no issues mooring outside swan lane for a day or two opersite thier offside moorings.

Daniel

Seen the coventrian Saturday heading towards hawkesbury, it was back in the basin on sunday, is the owner a user on here?

19 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Seen the coventrian Saturday heading towards hawkesbury, it was back in the basin on sunday, is the owner a user on here?

Not sure about being on here but the crew often gather in the Greyhound for lunch on Wednesdays.