Mooring on the Coventry Canal - the bottom bit!

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Seeking the wisdom of the forum.

Now we have got our boat, I thought it would be a good idea to go and park up next to the Ricoh area to watch a rugby match. Looking at the guides, there are VM's at Longford Bridge (no 10). Is this a safe part of the cut to moor the boat for a few nights (SWMBO also wants to go to Decathlon)? I am probably the only one daft enough to be cruising and watching rugby so guess there wont be any demand for mooring here when there is a big match on (ie one of the European matches)?

The next question though is where to wind to go back to the Oxford (or up the Ashby).  The map shows a winding hole at Judd's Lane bridge (no 9) but looking at google maps (sattelite view) it doesnt look big enough for a 63' boat. The next one is down at bridge 6A. I've been a bit put off going too far down towards the Basin from all the posts on here about the stuff floating in the canal.

Quite fancy doing the same for Northampton and Leicester - but I guess you need tickets for their matches.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Seeking the wisdom of the forum.

Now we have got our boat, I thought it would be a good idea to go and park up next to the Ricoh area to watch a rugby match. Looking at the guides, there are VM's at Longford Bridge (no 10). Is this a safe part of the cut to moor the boat for a few nights (SWMBO also wants to go to Decathlon)? I am probably the only one daft enough to be cruising and watching rugby so guess there wont be any demand for mooring here when there is a big match on (ie one of the European matches)?

The next question though is where to wind to go back to the Oxford (or up the Ashby).  The map shows a winding hole at Judd's Lane bridge (no 9) but looking at google maps (sattelite view) it doesnt look big enough for a 63' boat. The next one is down at bridge 6A. I've been a bit put off going too far down towards the Basin from all the posts on here about the stuff floating in the canal.

Quite fancy doing the same for Northampton and Leicester - but I guess you need tickets for their matches.

I have moored at Judd's Lane bridge but not overnight - just to go to Tesco. It is shallow along there and I wouldn't attempt to wind our 70' boat.

However I saw boats apparently left overnight beyond bridge 10, not sure I would fancy it myself.

If you have got that far, I would strongly urge you to continue in to the basin. This is a great mooring and well worth a trip down the weed hatch (although I made it there and back without the need).

Frank

Thanks Frank,

The basin did sound interesting so I think we may give it a go. I guess it will be in Oct/Nov when there will be an interesting match on at the Ricoh.

Thanks for the heads up on it being shallow - I shan't try and wind at Judd's lane.

24 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Is the station at the Richo now open, if it is then getting there from Cov should be easy, although the only time I have been there they were running free buses from Cov station.

Now that is a thought. Moor in the basin and get public transport. Thanks!

A fall back was to park up somewhere near hawkesbury junct and get a taxi there and back!

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Now that is a thought. Moor in the basin and get public transport. Thanks!

A fall back was to park up somewhere near hawkesbury junct and get a taxi there and back!

Or, moor up at Hawksbury Junction and stroll to the stadium, 20 minutes to get your blood circulating for the start of the match!

There is always a mooring space it Hawksbury you just have to look!

If going into the Coventry basin, keep your revs down and that will stop rubbish flying into your prop!

And yes, the Stadium Station has trains running through it now, Nuneaton to Coventry!

Edited by nipper
Muppetry!

I walked from Hawkesbury Junction to Tesco earlier this year, passing the stadium on the way.

My workout app told me it was 2 miles each way so presumably, depending on where the appropriate bridge to cross is situated, the stadium is somewhat less than a 2 mile walk.

Hmmm? If you're going to be put off by the opinion of others on the forum about places you've not been to, what is the point of asking others if it's a good idea to stay or turn at places that....... errrr ..... you've not been to.

Unless of course you know what you want to do anyway and are merely hoping somebody will give the answer you want.

My advice would be go down to the basin and suss out the VM at Ricoh, as well as the whingeing holes so you know what suits you, then either stay in the basin and walk up to Ricoh or, happy in the knowledge you've checked it for yourself go back and stay at the Tesco/Ricoh VMs.

However that's just my opinion and I wouldn't want to per/di suade you.

As for shallow, my boat draws 30" stationary and I've never run aground, nor during my last 6 runs down there have I had to go down the weed 'ole.

48 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Hmmm? If you're going to be put off by the opinion of others on the forum about places you've not been to, what is the point of asking others if it's a good idea to stay or turn at places that....... errrr ..... you've not been to.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Of course I will be influenced by the 4 or 5 threads that give the impression the run down to the basin is not the best experience in the world. That's why I posted, to get some more info.

I was asking if the top end of the leg down to basin is a good place to stop overnight. In the 4 or 5 threads, no-one discriminated between any of the individual sections. I have never been there. Others that might respond may have. In that case I would like to hear some first hand experience. I will then make my own mind up based on the responses. I can see a point in doing that. Apologies if you can not see the point.

Similarly, with a 63' boat and limited experience, I would prefer to turn in winding holes that will enable me to turn reasonably easily. The guides/maps show the one at Judd's lane being a 'full' length turn but from google maps it doesnt seem to be that big. Frank above says he doesnt fancy it - and that is exactly the response I was looking for. This confirms that I will struggle to turn there.

If I had been to these places, I would not be asking the questions. Because I havent been there, I was trying to find some first hand experience. That is the point. This forum is full of people with a large amount of information - and to tap into that is invaluable - and dis-information. I think I can work out what is useful and what is not given enough inputs.

It is useful to hear that you have done the trip many times and not have any problems. As you live near the location, I value your judgement .....but maybe not the first sentance of your response!

Sorry about that Dr Bob, I didn't intend to rattle you. I just saw what to me was a clash with how I learn about places I don't know.

No need to apologise for my not getting the point, my Mother always told me it was rude to point.

The canal is quite wide at Judds Lane, but I wasn't aware of it being a winding hole. I tend to spin at the old junction at Longford if I want to turn around there.

So much work has been undertaken by volunteers to save that stretch.  Originally the basin was to be filled in and the new cathedral plonked on it

I'm often out dragging rubbish (mainly Tesco trollies) with The Cov, Canal Soc. and we have had occasion to spin Panther ex FMC at 60ft. in numerous spots along there.

However you are quite right, I ain't going to convert others with the kind of sarky approach I used with you last night ...... sorry matey.

5 hours ago, zenataomm said:

The canal is quite wide at Judds Lane, but I wasn't aware of it being a winding hole. I tend to spin at the old junction at Longford if I want to turn around there.

No problem....and thanks for the additional info.

As you know the area well, would you leave your boat overnight on the Longford VMs? As a newcomer to canals, I find it difficult to judge where is safe and where is not safe in the 'city' areas so your input would be very valuable.

Going to see Leicester Tigers by boat is easy. The moorings at Castle Gardens and Friars Mill are not far from Welford Road and they are secure. It is worth getting tickets in advance for popular games especially if it involves a dodgy team in Northamptonshire or a bunch of displaced Londoners!! The atmosphere at Welford Road at a big match is excellent.

37 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Going to see Leicester Tigers by boat is easy. The moorings at Castle Gardens and Friars Mill are not far from Welford Road and they are secure. It is worth getting tickets in advance for popular games especially if it involves a dodgy team in Northamptonshire or a bunch of displaced Londoners!! The atmosphere at Welford Road at a big match is excellent.

Thanks for that Richard. I figured getting tickets for tigers home games would be pretty difficult given the crowds they get. It always looks full on the telly which is why I was focussing on the Ricoh. I'll  check out the fixture list and try and plan a trip up before Christmas. Is it possible to get tickets for the big ones although the 2 you mention are not until the end of the season? Maybe try one of the european games.

3 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks for that Richard. I figured getting tickets for tigers home games would be pretty difficult given the crowds they get. It always looks full on the telly which is why I was focussing on the Ricoh. I'll  check out the fixture list and try and plan a trip up before Christmas. Is it possible to get tickets for the big ones although the 2 you mention are not until the end of the season? Maybe try one of the european games.

If you go on the Tigers web site you can get tickets for most home matches. https://www.leicestertigers.com/tickets

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

When you say overnight, do you mean nobody on board?

If so, then Longford by The Engine, I have done.  That of course is no guarantee!

No we would be on board. We will give it a go and visit the basin and look to spend a night there. Thanks for the input. SWMBO wants also to go to Decathlon so that suits both of us.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

The Longford Engine has just been given a makeover.

http://www.thelongfordengine.co.uk/index

Quite a few ex working boaters live in and around the area.

Hi Ray, thanks for the link. It gives a good image of the canal there!.

We were at Coventry Basin last week and found no problems with rubbish in the canal, apart from some clusters of beer cans and plastic bottles.  There is an increasing amount of very nice new housing along the canal, and it looks quite safe to moor along there.

Only one other boat passed us as we went down to Coventry, and this was obviously such a rare event that a fork lift truck driver working by the canal hooted repeatedly and warned us of "an oncoming boat!", even though the canal was broad and clear!  Passersby pointed, waved and took selfies of themselves and our boat.  

The basin itself was fine, although you cannot moor anywhere on the left or left arm.   There's a very decent cheap cafe that opened at about 10am, but business for the shops does not appear to be thriving.  If you can't find a mooring, there is another on the offside immediately outside the basin and plenty of space further down outside the new flats.

The Ricoh stadium is clearly seen from the canal.

16 hours ago, max's son said:

you could always go to the Worcester ground next to the Worcester Birmingham canal,

they play Leicester and Northampton

May be start a tour of prem grounds Exeter might be hard

..but we wanted to watch a good side.....:D

No seriously, being based nr Napton I had been looking at Wasps, Leicester or Saints but Worcester is also an idea. I think Six Ways is quite a way from the cut.

We have been living in Cardiff so have been starved of good rugby (!!) so I spent all last season watching the Eng Premiership on telly. Now we are on the boat we can take in some real games.

Newcastle may also be a challenge!

15 hours ago, Canal Cuttings said:

We were at Coventry Basin last week and found no problems with rubbish in the canal, apart from some clusters of beer cans and plastic bottles.  There is an increasing amount of very nice new housing along the canal, and it looks quite safe to moor along there.

Thanks for the info. It starts to sound a good idea to go to the basin.

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

..but we wanted to watch a good side.....:D

No seriously, being based nr Napton I had been looking at Wasps, Leicester or Saints but Worcester is also an idea. I think Six Ways is quite a way from the cut.

We have been living in Cardiff so have been starved of good rugby (!!) so I spent all last season watching the Eng Premiership on telly. Now we are on the boat we can take in some real games.

Newcastle may also be a challenge!

Thanks for the info. It starts to sound a good idea to go to the basin.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Worcester/@52.2165055,-2.1670478,17.18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4870505800bbccd5:0xab9aa4f4d0da911c!8m2!3d52.193636!4d-2.221575

The canal is the boundary to the Carpark and training pitches

8 minutes ago, max's son said:

Ah, thanks. I hadnt realised the canal swung back on the north side of town. Very near.

Took my yearly trip down the five and half this weekend, seemed a little better this year, although still a little messy at the hobby horse pub, usual bags hanging from the railings.

No stops for clearing the prop, in fact i have never had issues over the 6 or so trips, did see a smaller boat stopped next to tesco and they said they had been down a couple of times, two carrier bags full! maybe i have just been lucky.

If i was going to moor anywhere between hawkesbury and the basin and be leaving my boat, it would only really be at the longford engine as there are live aboards on the offside, would moor at the pub and have a couple of pints, then walk the rest to the ricoh.

If mooring in the basin, be mindful there is now a nightclub, never heard any music, just the students coming out at 2am singing.

Dont be tempted to cut corners, the near side is just as shallow as the offside, took me twenty minutes to get off the bank Saturday.