Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Due to a technical issue with notification settings, we have reset the notification system. As such, we encourage members to review their notification preferences which can be done by clicking here.

mark99

1970's Rock

Featured Posts

cuthound Contributor    325
4 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

1970s Rock. I am a 'student' of 45 years of 1970s 'classic rock' bands such as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Focus, Atomic Rooster, Ten Years After, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Free, Robin Trower, Status Quo, The Who, Rick Derringer, Ronnie Montrose, Johnny Winter, Nazareth, Rory Gallagher, Golden Earing, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, Mountain, Slade, Argent, Eric Clapton, Sweet, Wishbone Ash, The Groundhogs, Arthur Lee & Love, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Silverhead, Phil Lynott & Thin Lizzy, Marc Bolan & T.Rex and many more...

"Living the life of a part-time 70s rock superstar..."

Have you been looking through my music collection? :P

4 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

Here's a 'classic' 1970s British rock album guy's from a classic English rock band-

WISHBONE ASH and there 1971 album PILGRIMAGE enjoy it...

The line up- Andy Powell guitar/vocals, Ted Turner guitar/vocals, Martin Turner (no relation to Ted) bass/vocals & Steve Upton drums.  

My mate is a big Wishbone Ash fan,  so much so his boat is called "Fubb".

20 hours ago, Robbo said:

One of my favourite 70’s band...

One of my favorites too, very underrated and still fun to listen to on my old vinyl recordings.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Have you been looking through my music collection? :P

My mate is a big Wishbone Ash fan,  so much so his boat is called "Fubb".

Lol ha ha ha... F.U.B.B. is a Wishbone Ash album track off of there 1975 release 'There's The Rub' and is shorthand for F**ked Up Beyond Belief.

F.U.B.B. starts off with Martin Turner's funky sounding bass guitar before developing into a tasteful but heavy guitar dominated instrumental number which 'the Ash' still occasionally play today in concert.  

8 minutes ago, Flower of Gloster said:

Lol ha ha ha... F.U.B.B. is a Wishbone Ash album track off of there 1975 release 'There's The Rub' and is shorthand for F**ked Up Beyond Belief.

F.U.B.B. starts off with Martin Turner's funky sounding bass guitar before developing into a tasteful but heavy guitar dominated instrumental number which 'the Ash' still occasionally play today in concert.  

And that comment reminded me of the great band Snafu and the album Situation Normal.

Loddon    216
8 hours ago, mark99 said:

Welsh wizzards

Man were the best group to come out of Wales, spent many a night sharing the stage with them in the early 70's

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

And that comment reminded me of the great band Snafu and the album Situation Normal.

Yeah Snafu a blues/rock band from the early 1970s if my memory serves me correct that had in the line up Micky Moody who went on to play one of the guitar spots in David Coverdale's Whitesnake the other bloke on guitar being Bernie Marsden and a bit later on after Bernie departed the late Mel Galley.

Edited by Flower of Gloster

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Man were the best group to come out of Wales, spent many a night sharing the stage with them in the early 70's

The MAN BAND boyo!!. Yeah I still like listening to the live album 'Maximum Darkness' from 1975 and Micky Jones was a good player with his Gibson SG a joy to watch and listen to but also not forgetting Deke Leonard on guitar & organ, Martin Ace on bass and Terry Williams on drums. Terry went on to join Dave Edmunds in Rockpile in the late 1970s.     

All the Robin Trower fan's myself included claim the album Bridge Of Sighs from 1974 is his best work and it is but I also have a liking for his first album Twice Removed From Yesterday from 1973 which has some real tasty guitar playing and song structures on that album with tracks like Daydream, I Can't Wait Much Longer, Hannah, Rock Me Baby, Twice Removed From Yesterday, Sinner's Song & Ballerina with maybe some 'classy filler tracks' included such as Man Of The World & I Can't Stand It thrown in as well, it mite even have a slight edge on Bridge Of Sighs for me??.      

Loddon    216
31 minutes ago, Flower of Gloster said:

The MAN BAND boyo!!. Yeah I still like listening to the live album 'Maximum Darkness' from 1975 and Micky Jones was a good player with his Gibson SG a joy to watch and listen to but also not forgetting Deke Leonard on guitar & organ, Martin Ace on bass and Terry Williams on drums. Terry went on to join Dave Edmunds in Rockpile in the late 1970s.     

Terry also went on to play for Dire Straits.  Mans road crew formed a sound company called Concert Sound who up until they were taken over recently were very successful. haven't seen any of them since  Dire Straits last tour in 1992.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Terry also went on to play for Dire Straits.  Mans road crew formed a sound company called Concert Sound who up until they were taken over recently were very successful. haven't seen any of them since  Dire Straits last tour in 1992.

Personally I never really got into Dire Straits they were to 1980s for my liking (although they were around in the mid/late 1970s) but also because of Mark's 80s style sweat band!!.

Only joking guy's there 'Money For Nothing' I could listen to that song all day and never get tired of it!!.   

Athy Donate to Canal World    900
4 hours ago, Neil2 said:

the peerless Richard Thompson

Sing it, brother. I have just returned home after seeing Richard on stage several times at Cropredy - doing his own set and guesting with other acts. No one has the right to play as much guitar as him - he makes exhilarating playing look so darned easy, but never resorts to virtuosity for its own sake as in "gosh look, he's playing 1,000 notes per minute". His sings display a lack of shabbiness too.

In reply to another point earlier in the thread, Alan Clayson is still musically active. I think that writing is his main source of income nowadays but he does quite a few gigs per year, some with his Argonauts and some singing French chansons..

Neil2    233
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Sing it, brother. I have just returned home after seeing Richard on stage several times at Cropredy - doing his own set and guesting with other acts. No one has the right to play as much guitar as him - he makes exhilarating playing look so darned easy, but never resorts to virtuosity for its own sake as in "gosh look, he's playing 1,000 notes per minute". His sings display a lack of shabbiness too.

In reply to another point earlier in the thread, Alan Clayson is still musically active. I think that writing is his main source of income nowadays but he does quite a few gigs per year, some with his Argonauts and some singing French chansons..

I forget who it was now but another well known guitarist once said listening to Richard Thompson play was like watching someone ride a bicycle round a corner leaning the wrong way... and not falling off!

Tim Lewis    101
7 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

Personally I never really got into Dire Straits they were to 1980s for my liking (although they were around in the mid/late 1970s) but also because of Mark's 80s style sweat band!!.

Only joking guy's there 'Money For Nothing' I could listen to that song all day and never get tired of it!!.   

Was at college one Friday in (in 1978) when friend offered me a ticket to see a band in the Student Union that night, being told that it was for a band Dire Straits who I had not heard of so I declined and went to the oub. Two weeks later Sultans of Swing hit the charts and the rest as they say is history.

Tim

Yeah Dire Straits 'Sultans Of Swing' was all over the radio during the summer of 1978 I remember it well.

Also guy's I forgot to mention that I like Steve Hillage especially his 'L' album from 1976 a good album indeed.

Although Steve had previously played in Gong (a far out hippy dippy kinda band) before going solo under his own name Steve then got into techno-dance music with his System 7 set up in the 1980s & beyond.  

I have a little known story about ROBIN TROWER that I will post later, it's a good one guys!!.

"I'm still living the 70s rock dream in 2017!!."    

Athy Donate to Canal World    900
6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Was at college one Friday in (in 1978) when friend offered me a ticket to see a band in the Student Union that night, being told that it was for a band Dire Straits who I had not heard of so I declined and went to the oub. Two weeks later Sultans of Swing hit the charts and the rest as they say is history.

Tim

A few years earlier, there was a band called Smile who played regularly at my college, but somehow their appearances always coincided with weekends when I went home to my parents', so I never saw them. Nor did I see them when they came to college and played their first gig under their new name - Queen.

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

A few years earlier, there was a band called Smile who played regularly at my college, but somehow their appearances always coincided with weekends when I went home to my parents', so I never saw them. Nor did I see them when they came to college and played their first gig under their new name - Queen.

The mighty QUEEN!!. I remember there 'Seven Seas Of Rye' when it was first released getting plenty of radio play on Radio One back in '73.

Also I liked all there single releases during the 1970s & 1980s and all there albums are excellent to listen to as well.      

3 hours ago, Flower of Gloster said:

I have a little known story about ROBIN TROWER that I will post later, it's a good one guys!!.

"I'm still living the 70s rock dream in 2017!!."    

Yeah well back in 1991/92 I met this guy who was a 'rock dude' who happened to live in Robin's old home town of Southend-on-Sea in the county of Essex (about 35 miles east of London) anyway this guy was telling me that him and his woman were going out one Saturday evening about 5 years earlier and they decided to call for a mini cab/taxi to drive them to where they were going to and the taxi pulls up outside this dudes house and stone me who's driving it!!!!!. Yeah none other than 'the man' ROBIN TROWER!!!. The guy who was telling me this story was totally blown away being a BIG FAN of 'the man' himself!!!!!.

Apparently times were a bit lean for 'the man' during the mid/late 1980s so he took to driving a taxi instead around the Southend-on-Sea area!!!.

Strange to think only 10 years earlier he was playing stadiums across the USA and appearing on primetime television as well.

"Oh well that's rock & roll folks!!" 

Having just watched a few hours of 60s/70s music on the BBC late last night, the thought occurred to me: is Tubular Bells rock music, and if not, what genre is it?

rusty69    274
44 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Having just watched a few hours of 60s/70s music on the BBC late last night, the thought occurred to me: is Tubular Bells rock music, and if not, what genre is it?

Prog rock maybe. 

I prefer ommadawn to tubular bells. 

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Prog rock maybe. 

I prefer ommadawn to tubular bells. 

Early 1970s 'Progressive Rock' has since about the early 1990s become known simply as either 'Prog Rock or just 'Prog' only.

The Tubular Bells album by Mike Oldfield was a very big seller back in the early 1970s when it was first released although having recently re-listened to the entire album again I didn't find it that captivating or that enjoyable to listen to although it made Mike Oldfield's name into a household name back in the 1970s.