Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Due to a technical issue with notification settings, we have reset the notification system. As such, we encourage members to review their notification preferences which can be done by clicking here.

mark99

1970's Rock

Featured Posts

cuthound Contributor    325

"Sylvia" is another of their songs that made the charts in the 70's.

Great band. 

36national    2

i dunno, y come up wif a decent riff, worthy of any tv programme about motor cars with jeremy clarkson in it

sling in a decent guitar solo, another decent guitar solo,  perhaps a third decent guitar solo,  then wot next ?

ha methinks, some yodeling,  an amphetamine fueled celt gibbering in gaelic and a guest spot for a flautist hopping around on 1 leg.

such was the 70 s. God i miss em-but safer to bask in the waters first sailed by the mighty Quo

billh    32

Thanks for informing the artists and song title . It's been bothering me for  over 40 years now , had it down as a Deep Purple  experiment or something.

Another continental band offering:

Athy Donate to Canal World    900

The best thing about Focus' Moving Waves is that it earned a lot of money for its producer Mike Vernon, enabling his to continue recording and releasing music by the blues artists who were (and are) his main love.

Mike now lives in Southern Spain where he's still musically active. Trivia note: he was the one with sunglasses in Rocky Sharpe & The Replays.

tree monkey    299
6 minutes ago, Athy said:

The best thing about Focus' Moving Waves is that it earned a lot of money for its producer Mike Vernon, enabling his to continue recording and releasing music by the blues artists who were (and are) his main love.

Mike now lives in Southern Spain where he's still musically active. Trivia note: he was the one with sunglasses in Rocky Sharpe & The Replays.

Which is all good, Funnily enough my early youf listening to music similar to that posted helped introduce me to the blues. 

billh    32
4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Bluesbreaker's Beano LP is one of his, 1966- is my mono copy  worth 'owt?

Regarding Smoke on the Water- this was the standard test piece for  new guitars and amps in the 70's. The A1 Music Centre in Manchester had a notice posted: " No Smoke on The Water Please" after staff had to spend all day listening to it, played well or ,more often not.:)

10 hours ago, 36national said:

i dunno, y come up wif a decent riff, worthy of any tv programme about motor cars with jeremy clarkson in it

sling in a decent guitar solo, another decent guitar solo,  perhaps a third decent guitar solo,  then wot next ?

ha methinks, some yodeling,  an amphetamine fueled celt gibbering in gaelic and a guest spot for a flautist hopping around on 1 leg.

such was the 70 s. God i miss em-but safer to bask in the waters first sailed by the mighty Quo

I think you're mixing them up with the great Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson was the one-legged flautist. 

Thijs Van Leer used to play flute sitting down at his Hammond organ, IIRC. 

13 minutes ago, billh said:

Over £100 if it's mint - but of course you will have played and enjoyed it over many years so it won't be.

In beaten-up but playable condition with complete but dog-eared cover (which I am guessing your copy is), perhaps £30 - £40.

Neil2    233

I saw Focus back in the 70's at Sheffield City Hall and I have to admit they were disappointing live.  

The history of the band is all about the tension between Jan Akkerman and Thijs van Leer.  Akkerman's jazz background meant he hated playing anything "straight" but when it comes to something like "Sylvia" the audience really want to hear it note for note like the original.  Van Leer's frustration with the guitarists approach was evident and was one of the main factors involved in the split.

"Whispering Bob" Harris once said Thijs Van Leer reminded him of Dudley Moore - his singing, not piano playing.  

Edited by Neil2
spletting

billh    32
9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Over £100 if it's mint - but of course you will have played and enjoyed it over many years so it won't be.

In beaten-up but playable condition with complete but dog-eared cover (which I am guessing your copy is), perhaps £30 - £40.

You're right, the latter . Still not bad , I think I paid 32/6 for it early 1967, about my first LP. Previous to that I used a  mediocre Elizabethan(that was the make not the age)  tape recorder for Pick of the Pops- cheaper than  buying records. John Mayall was on Saturday Club (Brian Matthews?) one week with a live version of "Dust My Blues",brilliant!

Neil2    233
1 hour ago, billh said:

Regarding Smoke on the Water- this was the standard test piece for  new guitars and amps in the 70's. The A1 Music Centre in Manchester had a notice posted: " No Smoke on The Water Please" after staff had to spend all day listening to it, played well or ,more often not.:)

The last time I was in a guitar shop "Stairway to Heaven" was still holding number one spot on the forbidden riffs chart, though someone told me that it's now "Sweet Child o' Mine" which at least is a little more challenging.

When I started it was Guitar Boogie Shuffle...

20 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

When I started it was Guitar Boogie Shuffle...

A tune not without its Virtues.

(Though I think I have only a later version by The Ventures).

Loddon    216
1 hour ago, Athy said:

He produced the latest album for this bloke

36national    2
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you're mixing them up with the great Jethro Tull. Ian Anderson was the one-legged flautist. 

Thijs Van Leer used to play flute sitting down at his Hammond organ, IIRC. 

i wasnt mixing em up but admittedly didnt check, didnt realsise that the flute was a regular feature of a focus track. Point of order: prog rock: Flute: Surely doing a silly dance whilst playing the flute was mandatory. Peter Gabriel. Ian anderson. I didnt think playing the flute whilst sitting down was allowed. 2 points of pedantry. My own comment "hopping around on one leg" is oxymoronic. It is not possible to hop on more or fewer than one leg. Secondly, Ian Anderson was not a one legged flautist. He did in fact have two legs, just chose to only use one of them.

2 minutes ago, 36national said:

2 points of pedantry. My own comment "hopping around on one leg" is oxymoronic. 

1 point of information: surely it is tautologous, rather than oxymoronic.

Loddon    216
10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The strange wanderings of you tube lead me from john mayall to this, ok not blues or 70's rock but still

In the full video of that concert you will see a much younger me being introduced by Ian as an old friend, I used to mix his on stage sound. Hard to belive that it was almost half a lifetime ago.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The strange wanderings of you tube lead me from john mayall to this, ok not blues or 70's rock but still

Blimey! Not my usual musical menu, but thanks for posting that, it's dynamic. I did see The Blockheads once, regrettably after Mr. Dury had left the building, they were still pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

In the full video of that concert you will see a much younger me being introduced by Ian as an old friend, I used to mix his on stage sound. Hard to belive that it was almost half a lifetime ago.

Judging by the video, you didn't do a bad job.

Who was the big chap in the coat whom Ian brought on stage towards the end?

tree monkey    299
Just now, Athy said:

Blimey! Not my usual musical menu, but thanks for posting that, it's dynamic. I did see The Blockheads once, regrettably after Mr. Dury had left the building, they were still pretty good.

Funny thing ian dury and the blockheads, as a kid I loved them because of the sweary lyrics, later when I actually listen to the music I realised just how bloody good they were

36national    2
14 minutes ago, Athy said:

1 point of information: surely it is tautologous, rather than oxymoronic.

yeah sorry its early

• Greenie 1