Tiller handle

GUMPY

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, jddevel said:

Got one too couple of days ago. Now got to find something long enough to knock the locking wedge in!! Broom handle a possibility. 

Yes use a broom handle.

Swerving off tangentially, no matter how hard you whack it in, I predict it will come loose again. This has been my experience anyway, on a long series of boats. I blame variations in temperature and humidity. 

How does the team here keep their wedges in place, and their handles tight in the tiller?

Interesting Mike. Wonder if as it`s wood it will expand-wet, shrink dry out whether besides a screw a sealant such as my much loved LSX will stop capillary action between wood and the tube? The handle has two rubber "o" rings but I`m sure they will inevitable wear.

51 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You could always put a screw in it.... Simples

The whole point of the wedge fixing is that it is invisible. Avoids using a screw, the head of which gets very irritating to keep feeling when steering.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The whole point of the wedge fixing is that it is invisible. Avoids using a screw, the head of which gets very irritating to keep feeling when steering.

Some kind of countersink possibly. 

Besides, you won't feel a screw if you are holding the handle

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Shouldn't your hand  be on the wooden bit, not the metal bit ?

funnily enough as I was steering Sickle a couple of days ago, I looked down and spotted a screw behind me on the deck.

Guess where it had just fallen out of!

Acouple of extra match sticks to reduce the size of the hole it should now be good again for years! :lol:

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

That's a little gauche for my taste I'm afraid.....probably ok for those sorts who hang the stern rope over the tiller pin.....

They are very pretty but I think the same as you. A bit showy. 

I would however, be more concerned they might break in use. My tiller needs serous effort applying when maneuvering the boat about. Look how this handle is constructed inside:

s-l1600.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Errr.... where do you put this tape??!

Just a few tight turns around the recessed part of the insertable bit til it's an interference fit then twist the handle in. Worked on mine at least, although it doesn't have a fancy/traditional slot for a wedge. They didn't have self amalgamating tape in't old days though, hence the wedge I guess.

3 minutes ago, philjw said:

If you have a mooring pin with no extras like rope loops, drop it head end down into the tube onto the wedge then bounce the whole lot up and down a few times so the pin acts as a hammer.   

That's a good idea. The rope loop soon falls off a mooring pin anyway once hammered in a few dozen times.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes use a broom handle.

Swerving off tangentially, no matter how hard you whack it in, I predict it will come loose again. This has been my experience anyway, on a long series of boats. I blame variations in temperature and humidity. 

How does the team here keep their wedges in place, and their handles tight in the tiller?

The back in the day method when tied up for the night tie a piece of cord through the tiller pin hole& suspend between the boats with the wood part in the cut. Looking at the OP though that end is much to posh for that method.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

You could always put a screw in it.... Simples

+1

My handle has been loose for ages and have been meaning to drill and screw for as long... did it a couple of weeks ago, took 5 minutes, and haven't noticed the screw since.

I had never heard of the wedge means of tightening, and there is no slot in my handle.

On 05/08/2017 at 06:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes use a broom handle.

Fit the whole thing good and tight when dry, then pour linseed oil down the hollow shaft and leave to soak in for a few days.

Repeat as necessary every 5 years or so.

George

• Greenie 1

On 05/08/2017 at 08:38, Mike the Boilerman said:

They are very pretty but I think the same as you. A bit showy. 

I would however, be more concerned they might break in use. My tiller needs serous effort applying when maneuvering the boat about. Look how this handle is constructed inside:

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, I would rather just have a single solid piece of wood without all that unnecessary decorative embellishment.

Just now, blackrose said:

Yes, I would rather just have a single solid piece of wood without all that unnecessary decorative embellishment.

More to the point, the handle is only as strong as that armature in the centre, about half the diameter of an uncut handle. 

If a handle breaks while one is applying some serious force to it (i.e. not a modern girlie boat with a such a large flight on the rudder no effort is needed to turen the tiller), then one is in serious danger of taking a look.