A sad day at yelvertoft Marina

Stuart Maddock

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Athy said:

"I like a dog, as long as he isn't spelled backwards".

G.K. Chesterton.

What type of cheese is made backwards??

Edam!

7 hours ago, Athy said:

"I like a dog, as long as he isn't spelled backwards".

G.K. Chesterton.

Edam!

Aha, that problems is getting me again. The SUBMIT button seems not to be working, but a new window illustrates it is!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Edam!

Edam!

Aha, that problems is getting me again. The SUBMIT button seems not to be working, but a new window illustrates it is!

Is it double Gloucester? 

• 1 year later...
On 04/08/2017 at 09:45, Dr Bob said:

.....but next time, will it be a child (or even an adult) who gets attacked.

There is no defence for allowing 3 large dogs free to attack wildlife - unless it is on your own property. On other peoples property, wildlife can become very tame. Shame on that boater!

What breed of dogs were they?

Clearly these massive, ferocious dogs were swan-killers, an obscure breed of canine that are specifically bred to roam the countryside and terrorize unsuspecting swans.  While primarily used for swan population control, swan-killers are 100% safe to all rational, logical, free thinking humans of any age and even make great (when in a pinch) emotional support animals.

Eric Stevens

Vice President 

Swan Killer Breeders Association

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 15:51, Chewbacka said:

Yes, but in this case I don't think there is any suggestion that anyone 'intentionally' intended the swans to be injured or killed.

I think there is very much a suggestion that somebody failed to control their dogs such that the incident took place, and it is extremely likely that they have thereby committed a criminal offence.

57 minutes ago, catweasel said:

But has a swan ever broken somebody's arm?

Not that I've seen any documentary evidence to support (and having picked one up, they're not that strong), but one was stitched up for a murder back in 1984, (https://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/UK/1zjaqpge5u/How-swan-was-blamed-for-the-death.htm  ) I still reckon it was innocent.

I made the mistake of feeding a family of swans earlier. They are currently doing some sort of test on our hull with their beaks. It is a very noisy process and the dogs are not amused. I hope that they will finish soon and retire for the night. Knowing my luck they will be on the early shift and resume work about 4 am.

19 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I made the mistake of feeding a family of swans earlier. They are currently doing some sort of test on our hull with their beaks. It is a very noisy process and the dogs are not amused.

In which case, set the dogs on them. 

Oh hang on, that’s where this thread started back in 2017. Was it you, fully utilising the facilities at Yelverfoft?

7 hours ago, catweasel said:

I made the mistake of feeding a family of swans earlier. They are currently doing some sort of test on our hull with their beaks. It is a very noisy process and the dogs are not amused. I hope that they will finish soon and retire for the night. Knowing my luck they will be on the early shift and resume work about 4 am.

In appreciation of the bread you gave them earlier they are surveying the hull for you.

Don't forget to ask thrm for a written condition report. ?

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Not that I've seen any documentary evidence to support (and having picked one up, they're not that strong), but one was stitched up for a murder back in 1984, (https://www.onenewspage.co.uk/n/UK/1zjaqpge5u/How-swan-was-blamed-for-the-death.htm  ) I still reckon it was innocent.

People catch and ring swans and in the old days there was sawn upping (I don't know if the event is still marked anywhere) when swans were caught and marked on the beak with the owners mark (contrary to popular opinion they didn't all belong to the crown).  If the myth were true there would be lots of folk getting arms broken.