A sad day at yelvertoft Marina

Stuart Maddock

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Murflynn said:

well, you're entitled to your opinion I suppose.  :rolleyes:

but why limit your comment to dogs?  many humans represent a possible threat to people and to the environment, perhaps they should not be allowed to run free in public spaces: schoolchildren during the summer holidays, teenage scrotes in urban areas at any time, narrow-minded people who don't like dogs on principle and thereby invite their unwelcome attention (yes, dogs can tell you are a plonker by observing your body language; their favourite means of showing this is by smearing you with dog shit).

Yes it is my opinion.  But then I suppose you have never had a young child bitten on the face by a so called "he's just being playful" dog that was on the loose in a public path.

Maybe in those circumstances your response would have been a bit more reasoned.

And Athy; you don't do yourself any favours giving a green one for that remark. Especially as you are supposed to be a moderator.

• Greenie 3

3 hours ago, dor said:

Yes it is my opinion.  But then I suppose you have never had a young child bitten on the face by a so called "he's just being playful" dog that was on the loose in a public path.

Maybe in those circumstances your response would have been a bit more reasoned.

And Athy; you don't do yourself any favours giving a green one for that remark. Especially as you are supposed to be a moderator.

no I haven't, and my response was reasoned.  much as I sympathise with your situation, it has not helped you to arrive at an objective viewpoint, with the result that you think all dogs should be kept on a lead at all times in public places.

if we were discussing someone who was knifed by, say, a black teenager, and it was suggested that all black teenagers should have their freedom restricted as a result, that would be racist.  perhaps you need to look at the the matter with a proper and more reasoned perspective.

you made what appeared to be a statement of generality that dogs routinely or occasionally smear you with dog shit.  strange, all the time that I have been walking dogs (regularly walking dogs over a period of about 30 years in total) I have rarely seen one step in dog shit and have never been smeared with dog shit, either by my own dogs or by someone else's.    either you are a very unlucky lad or dogs are deliberately vindictive towards you.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

no I haven't, and my response was reasoned.  much as I sympathise with your situation, it has not helped you to arrive at an objective viewpoint, with the result that you think all dogs should be kept on a lead at all times in public places.

if we were discussing someone who was knifed by, say, a black teenager, and it was suggested that all black teenagers should have their freedom restricted as a result, that would be racist.  perhaps you need to look at the the matter with a proper and more reasoned perspective.

Black teenager of my acquaintance don't go crapping all over the place or bite people.   Why shouldn't an animal be kept on a lead at all times in public?   Apart from the fact you are a dog owner and you don't want to have to restrain your pet.

3 hours ago, dor said:

Perhaps you could explain the "supposed to be" part of that rather harsh comment.

Do you feel that that the post contravened any forum rules? If so, feel free to report it.

Do you feel that you can instruct other members, be they moddies or not, which posts they should like or dislike? I do hope not.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Perhaps you could explain the "supposed to be" part of that rather harsh comment.

Do you feel that that the post contravened any forum rules? If so, feel free to report it.

Do you feel that you can instruct other members, be they moddies or not, which posts they should like or dislike? I do hope not.

It is my view (I have no idea what Dor's opinion may be) that  moderators are put under unnecessary constraint if they have to make their posts using their normal site identity. It would be better if they could perform their moderating role under another identity (mod 3 or whatever).

This would allow them the freedom to post without hinderance under their normal name and to moderate using the alternative one.

I realise that this would not affect you, Athy as you do not recognise any separation between the two roles but to me, it is clear that such a separation is needed if becoming a moderator is not to cramp the mod's style.

Oh and yes, I feel I can instruct other members as to which posts they should like (freedom of speech and all that); of course they would have to be demented to take any notice of my instruction.

Frank

• Greenie 1

Thank you for your reasoned and constructive suggestions, which merit a greeno.

You are correct in that the two "roles" need not be separated. Moddies should not, in my view, sit eagle-like upon a lofty perch and swoop only when the groundlings beneath get out of hand. Of course it's up to each individual to interpret their role(s) as they see fit.

10 hours ago, Jerra said:

Black teenager of my acquaintance don't go crapping all over the place or bite people.   Why shouldn't an animal be kept on a lead at all times in public?   Apart from the fact you are a dog owner and you don't want to have to restrain your pet.

silly boy!  another argumentative post.  please read my post again and note the reference to knifing.

if anyone wants an argument about restraining pets, let's start off with that bain of British songbirds - the sweet little pussy cat.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

silly boy!  another argumentative post.  please read my post again and note the reference to knifing.

if anyone wants an argument about restraining pets, let's start off with that bain of British songbirds - the sweet little pussy cat.

Don't get me started on cats. we do not have a cat, but are surrounded by them, all of which seem to be in competition as to which one can deposit the most smelly crap in our borders, and on our lawn! We have a small grand daughter who loves playing in the garden, and whilst we are dilligent in clearing up the hideous mess, we live in dread that one day she will manged to get some onto her hands or, worse still, in her mouth.

We used to have an extended family of Field Voles, which lived (and nested) in our compost box, they were there for years, even surviving the annual emtying and turning. A near neighbour suddenly aquired two horrible black cats, and within weeks all the voles had been killed. As for birds, we have found several mauled birds on the lawn, and one of the afore mentioned black cats seems to spend all it's time stalking birds or hiding in the shrubs hoping to catch one.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

I am ove sorry you aren't prepared to take part in discussion and find opposing views argumentative.With regard to your attempted red herring of cats, despite my deep interest in all thing nature, and ornithology in particular, I place humans and the effect of animals (in this case dogs) on them above birds.

I take it from your red herring that you have no reasons at all why dogs should not be restrained at all times in public places.  Fair enough you could just have said the question was too difficult silly boy.

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

take it from your red herring that you have no reasons at all why dogs should not be restrained at all times in public places.  Fair enough you could just have said the question was too difficult silly boy.

I used to like red snapper, and of course lobster, which is red. Red herring is far too bony. 

My favourite, however, is brown crab! 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I am ove sorry you aren't prepared to take part in discussion and find opposing views argumentative.With regard to your attempted red herring of cats, despite my deep interest in all thing nature, and ornithology in particular, I place humans and the effect of animals (in this case dogs) on them above birds.

I take it from your red herring that you have no reasons at all why dogs should not be restrained at all times in public places.  Fair enough you could just have said the question was too difficult silly boy.

I have you marked down as a dog racist.  They are a MUCH nicer species than humans, and I would hope that there is soon a Bill of Canine Rights.  

32 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I have you marked down as a dog racist.  They are a MUCH nicer species than humans, and I would hope that there is soon a Bill of Canine Rights.  

As I said there are (or appear to be from your posts) no valid reasons why dogs should not always be restrained in public.  Wouldn't it be easier to have just admitted it.

The racist statement is hilarious but it does sum up why dog owners are so precious about their pooches and don't like the idea of restraint.

Racist: a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

It may have escaped the notice of most dog owners but they aren't and never will be people.

21 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Ah! You've answered my question on the other swan thread.  So swan upping is a social competition, then?

I can never tell on CWDF if questions really want an answer or  not.  Do you really not know what Swan upping is and so want to know?

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I can never tell on CWDF if questions really want an answer or  not.  Do you really not know what Swan upping is and so want to know?

Would think Mac of Cygnet is an expert on swans. :)

Besides its easy enough to Google. 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

It may have escaped the notice of most dog owners but they aren't and never will be people.

"I like a dog, as long as he isn't spelled backwards".

G.K. Chesterton.