A sad day at yelvertoft Marina

Stuart Maddock

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

If a swans wings are easily strong enough to break an arm how is it all the people who care for injured swans and the ringers who catch and ring them are never injured.  Swan upping used to take place with the birds being hauled into rowing boats.  This would not have happened if periodically arms were being broken or people killed (a blow capable of breaking an arm hitting a head would probably kill).

Swans are notoriously fiece and territorial when nesting, they will be more predictable when you are catching them, no one is going to try to catch one at the very moment it is in attack mode.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Swans are notoriously fiece and territorial when nesting, they will be more predictable when you are catching them, no one is going to try to catch one at the very moment it is in attack mode.

Ringers often ring the pulli soon after hatching with nobody being injured.   The broken arm thing is an old wives tale.

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Ringers often ring the pulli soon after hatching with nobody being injured.   The broken arm thing is an old wives tale.

They are still rated as one of the most dangerous birds in the world. Check out the world listing of dangerous birds

http://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/questions-answers/has-a-swan-ever-broken-someones-arm

Edited by LadyG
http://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/questions-answers/has-a-swan-ever-broken-someones-arm

48 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They are still rated as one of the most dangerous birds in the world. Check out the world listing of dangerous birds

Oh look its' deva vu all over again!

That's about the fourth time that link has been posted in this thread. The link goes on to say they list it as a dangerous bird because one once made a bloke fall out of his boat, and he subsequently drowned. Pretty weak reason for classing it one of the world's ten most dangerous birds!

Just now, Murflynn said:

as an aside, has anyone seen any evidence that a swan can break a man's arm?

..........................  coat :boat:

It's an interesting thought. Has anyone here ever considered this possibility?

14 hours ago, dor said:

Dogs just should not be allowed in public places except on a lead, and a maximum of a few feet long at that.   If you want to let your dogs run free, arrange with a landowner to use a private open space.

well, you're entitled to your opinion I suppose.  :rolleyes:

but why limit your comment to dogs?  many humans represent a possible threat to people and to the environment, perhaps they should not be allowed to run free in public spaces: schoolchildren during the summer holidays, teenage scrotes in urban areas at any time, narrow-minded people who don't like dogs on principle and thereby invite their unwelcome attention (yes, dogs can tell you are a plonker by observing your body language; their favourite means of showing this is by smearing you with dog shit).

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Loddon said:

Is there any documented evidence of a swan breaking an adult humans arm, I was always told its an old wives tale. 

Would a swan be daft enough to try to use its lightweight, feather-covered, flight-optimised limb to try to break a human arm? Surely it would come off worse and a damaged wing has to be a seriously undesirable thing for a swan. A charging Swan with its wings spread is intimidating - isn't that what it's trying to achieve?  

Sadly, it won't always work against a pack of dogs. I have a full-size dog - if it ever became involved in anything similar, I'd count that as a serious failing on my part.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Would a swan be daft enough to try to use its lightweight, feather-covered, flight-optimised limb to try to break a human arm? Surely it would come off worse and a damaged wing has to be a seriously undesirable thing for a swan. A charging Swan with its wings spread is intimidating - isn't that what it's trying to achieve?  

Sadly, it won't always work against a pack of dogs. I have a full-size dog - if it ever became involved in anything similar, I'd count that as a serious failing on my part.

Green one on both counts.

I see a good headline based on an earlier post:  

EXTRA! EXTRA!  Out of control Dog kills out of control Kid.  Dog destroyed.  Result!:ninja:

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

The list is a hoot.  It includes the cuckoo, shrikes, Pelicans and an almost extinct flightless parrot, none of which are in anyway shape or form dangerous to man.   It omits the Tawny Owl which will injure far more people in the UK Eric Hosking a renowned wildlife photographer lost an eye to one.

If you put any faith in that list as being dangerous you need to sit back and consider each bird individually.  Yes there are a couple which are dangerous e.g. Ostrich

As the article says they are "badass birds" it doesn't say they are dangerous.

Thanks for the laugh.

Just to throw one other incident into the mix, in my previous occupation we started a murder investigation following the death of a Dartington Hall student, Cathy Pelly, who was found drowned in the River Dart at Totnes with marks to her neck. Since this was in 1987, don't bother trying to look it up on the internet, there is only minimal mention of it. A local taxi driver was arrested and interviewed over the matter but no evidence was ever found. When it eventually went to Coroners Court the verdict was that she had probably been killed by a swan whilst swimming in the river. Since the swan was never represented at Court I always thought he got stitched up a bit:unsure:

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just to throw one other incident into the mix, in my previous occupation we started a murder investigation following the death of a Dartington Hall student, Cathy Pelly, who was found drowned in the River Dart at Totnes with marks to her neck. Since this was in 1987, don't bother trying to look it up on the internet, there is only minimal mention of it. A local taxi driver was arrested and interviewed over the matter but no evidence was ever found. When it eventually went to Coroners Court the verdict was that she had probably been killed by a swan whilst swimming in the river. Since the swan was never represented at Court I always thought he got stitched up a bit:unsure:

Yes, one must suspect fowl play.