Journey through Manchester and beyond....

Nick D

Featured Posts

We have finally completed the purchase of our boat and have spent a very pleasant two weeks around the Shropshire Union and Llangollen canals getting to know how everything works.  In a couple of weeks time, we will be moving the boat from Overwater Marina (near Audlem) to Fairies Hill Marina on the Aire & Calder.  We will be travelling North via the Macclesfield Canal and then Ashton and latterly Rochdale canal to cross the Pennines.  We a bit concerned about the trip through Manchester and Rochadle sections and according to Canal Plan they advise that we moor around the Beswick Top Lock on the Ashton Canal before the descent into Manchester and then at New Islington in Manchester and finally near New Walk Mill lock on the Rochadle Canal on the way out.  Does this sound ok? Also we like to cruise around 4 hours a day but would we be better doing a longer day and get through in one one go? Advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

The general recommendation is to do from the top lock on the Ashton to Piccadilly in one day, and then from there to the Rose of Lancaster at Mills Hill the next. At Piccadilly you can moor overnight behind a locked gate in the Telford Basin, although I have never had a problem just tied up on the towpath here.

Both will be reasonably full days - more than 4 hours.

The Ashton used to have a reputation as being a bit of bandit country. But although you may still hear this said, these days its no worse than any other urban section of canal.

There is volunteer assistance available on the Rochdale - well worth it as the first section out of Manchester can be a bit heavy going.

I've moored in Ducie Street at the junction and found it quite OK. If it were me I'd do Dukinfield to Ducie Street (or in the TT basin) then go up the Rochdale the following day to the Rose of Lancaster pub which is quite a hard slog. If you can team up with another boat it makes it a lot easier. The Rochdale is a joy once you get out of Manchester, especially the summit which is spectacular. Of course don't tell the 'suvverners' otherwise they'll be crawling all over us in the future. PS watch out for the wolves  ;) ;)

We've just done this route: Portland Basin to Piccadilly Basin (7 hrs), overnight stop, then to the Rose of Lancaster (8 hrs) for second overnight stop which worked fine. The Rochdale was hard work but a fabulous experience. As others have suggested, if you can team up with a second boat it makes life a lot easier.

As has already been said, you'd be looking at a day to do Dukinfield to Picadilly (there are a couple of places to moor there-Thomas Telford basin, or the offside after it, though the towpath side by Ducie street is also fine), then a further long day to do Picadilly to the Rose of Lancaster (which I think if I'm counting right is 20 locks?). I would definitely recommend teaming up with another boat and/or trying to get help from the CRT volunteers (although I think that can be hit and miss-when I did it I asked about help and then had nothing, ended up doing the ascent with another boat who had also tried and failed to get help from the volunteers).

The first bit up the Rochdale is pretty tough; not too much trouble with the locks, but there's a lot of crap in the canal-I spent more time down my weed hatch in a day than I spent down it in a year previously! Got out tonnes of plastic, a pair of jogging bottoms, some sort of netting and wire thing that totally stopped my prop, bit of a nightmare on that front tbh, both me and the guy on the other boat were clearing our props every few locks at one point-and there are some tricky pounds with shallow parts and obstacles. It's particularly challenging coming through Newton Heath, bit of an obstacle course with one section where there is only a narrow channel in the centre.

There isn't really anywhere to stop in between Picadilly and the Rose of Lancaster, although I did overnight on the far side of the basin near Tesco before Failworth lock 65 (a few kids being a nuisance and noisy from a bar on the road nearby but no major issues). I've also seen a couple of boats moored on the lock landings a few locks down by Morrisons, so if you really can't manage the last hour or so you would probably be okay to stop overnight there. You can put pins in by the Rose of Lancaster or there are bollards round the corner either side of the Irk Aqueduct. The Rochdale is lovely once you get out of Manchester. I'm yet to do the bit through Rochdale itself, but other than general rubbish (plastic bottles etc) can't see any real issues.

Need to wake up early to beat the yobs on the Ashton down to Picadilly but stay a day in Manchester take in a theatre and eat in China Town. early start to do the locks up to the Rose. The Huddersfield is a world beater with the villages and the Stannedge  Tunnel 

8 minutes ago, The Bagdad Boatman (waits) said:

Need to wake up early to beat the yobs on the Ashton down to Picadilly but stay a day in Manchester take in a theatre and eat in China Town. early start to do the locks up to the Rose. The Huddersfield is a world beater with the villages and the Stannedge  Tunnel 

I've done the Ashton several times between 8am and 5pm and never had the slightest yob problem. In fact, when I came down a few weeks ago I hardly saw anybody! 

Why not turn Right at Dukinfield and do the HNC, best canal on the whole system! It's hard work but I would say the Rochdale is harder because the locks are so big and heavy.

We did Manchester (Telford Basin) to Rose of Lancaster a couple of years back, no problems with yobs or rubbish. Very shallow on the offside for some of the earlier pounds but no problem at all, three of us on board and we did not manage to find another boat to share the locks with. A really good days boating!

20150625_101028.jpg.c6e455c2ab3d2dc93eb9083c3f5867a1.jpg

20150625_101054.jpg

Edited by NickF

On 8/3/2017 at 18:32, Nick D said:

we will be moving the boat from Overwater Marina (near Audlem) to Fairies Hill Marina on the Aire & Calder.  We will be travelling North via the Macclesfield Canal and then Ashton and latterly Rochdale canal to cross the Pennines.

Why not consider going clockwise to Manchester via the Bridgewater and Rochdale 9 ?. Still be able to moor on the Ashton at Telford Basin then double back for the climb up the Rochdale.

This route to Manchester is only 61 miles and 20 locks whereby your proposed route to Manchester is 72 miles and 84 locks.

We (especially my wife) chat to the canalside youths that we pass. Almost invariably the response is positive.

All too many middle aged boaters get scared, standoffish and avoid eye contact with teenagers and twenty somethings when they would happily wave and say "Good Morning" to a thirty (plus) something.

I am sure many of the bad experience stories are just that.... stories. So few are first hand stories. Nearly all are "I know someone who told me...."

• Greenie 1

Confirming what's been said already, stop at Rose of Lancaster. Next stop could be Slattocks, which I have reached in a day a couple of times while sharing with another competent crew, there's a garage for supplies next to the cut. Next stop is Littleborough, you can stop where you want after that.

Edited by Jim Riley
Spilling mistook

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:32, Nick D said:

In a couple of weeks time, we will be moving the boat from Overwater Marina (near Audlem) to Fairies Hill Marina on the Aire & Calder.

If you're still there on the 26th we'll give you a wave ;)

22 hours ago, Simon (Hawksmoor) said:

We (especially my wife) chat to the canalside youths that we pass. Almost invariably the response is positive.

All too many middle aged boaters get scared, standoffish and avoid eye contact with teenagers and twenty somethings when they would happily wave and say "Good Morning" to a thirty (plus) something.

I am sure many of the bad experience stories are just that.... stories. So few are first hand stories. Nearly all are "I know someone who told me...."

Completely agree. I have only ever had a couple of minor run ins with yoofs in the best part of thirty years and that was on the Wigan flight some years ago. Speaking to them straight John Bull sorted it out. Too many people nowadays have dreadful social skills and try to avoid any interaction with other people, especialy if they are brass polishers ;)

Agree with what has been said. Would not attempt the Rochdale between Picadilly and the Irk Aqueduct on my own. Hard work and not somewhere you can stop. Road is a bit noisey at Slattocks Top,but a good mooring. Shop nearby.I prefer the Huddersfield Narrow,but you will have to book the tunnel.(and not be over 60ft,pref. a bit shorter.)

Thanks for all your useful advice.  Having given it much thought we have decided to go with leeco's suggestion and travel home via the Leeds & Liverpool. It's longer in miles, but far fewer locks so should take about the same time (at least according to Canal Plan). We did the Wigan flight in a hire boat this April and didn't find it too hard going, and apart from that the L&L is a great canal.  When we have the boat moored on the Aire & Calder we can then test out the Calder & Hebble locks for length and do the journey on the Rochdale canal east to west as has been suggested when we have more time and are not under pressure to get back. Thanks again for the help and comments.