Ely area moorings?

crackedacademic

Featured Posts

Hi all! I've finally made the jump and invested in a lovely 60' cruiser. I'll move aboard in September, and need to get her to around Ely - I have a new job in Cambridge.

I'm looking for a mooring nearby, with easy access to the train station. Bridge Boatyard don't have any space, and I've heard very mixed things about Cathedral Marina. They're also asking for a large lump sum up front and a year's contract, which is a bit intimidating.

Does anyone have any advice (or opinions about Cathedral)?

Cheers!

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you considered Fox's Marina in March? Fast trains from March to Cambridge take about 35 minutes.

https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/2704-introduce-yourself/&page=58&tab=comments#comment-1991702

@Scholar Gypsy

Maybe able to advise re cathedral. 

Edited by rusty69

I've thought of two more possibilities, both of which assume that you drive.

Huntingdon is 19 miles from Cambridge and is on the Great Ouse. BUT there are no direc ttrains (you have to change at Hitchin, making the journey over an hour), so you would need to take the lovely A14, where you won't be short of company. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the marina in Huntingdon takes only cruisers, not narrowboats.

Earith is 17 miles from Cambridge, and has a large marina which does take narrowboats. There's no station, but you can drive about halfway to Cambridge and take the quick, frequent Guided Busway from Longstanton into central Cambridge. Longstanton is a park-and-ride station with ample car parking.

I hop ethis information may be useful.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I've thought of two more possibilities, both of which assume that you drive.

Huntingdon is 19 miles from Cambridge and is on the Great Ouse. BUT there are no direc ttrains (you have to change at Hitchin, making the journey over an hour), so you would need to take the lovely A14, where you won't be short of company. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the marina in Huntingdon takes only cruisers, not narrowboats.

Earith is 17 miles from Cambridge, and has a large marina which does take narrowboats. There's no station, but you can drive about halfway to Cambridge and take the quick, frequent Guided Busway from Longstanton into central Cambridge. Longstanton is a park-and-ride station with ample car parking.

I hop ethis information may be useful.

I'm hoping not to have to buy a car as well - but Earith sounds good if the buses work out. I forgot about the controversial guided bus... thank you.

Still concerned about Cathedral Marina. It has such mixed reviews. Does anyone have any experience of it other than @Scholar Gypsy?

3 minutes ago, crackedacademic said:

I'm hoping not to have to buy a car as well - but Earith sounds good if the buses work out. I forgot about the controversial guided bus... thank you.

I think it was controversial only because of how much it cost and how long it took to build - even though its route, being the trackbed of part of the old Cambridge to St. Ives railway line, was already in situ.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think it was controversial only because of how much it cost and how long it took to build - even though its route, being the trackbed of part of the old Cambridge to St. Ives railway line, was already in situ.

Its also great for cycling between St Ives and Cambridge. 

There was a bit on the local news a few weeks back about buses leaving the tracks and crashing. 

Edited by rusty69

Thanks, have now replied with a PM, but in summary I am happy at Cathedral.

NB I would not recommend Hermitage marina at Earith - looks very gloomy, run by the same company - but I think the comment above is about the  other one (West view?). NB that is on the tidal section and it can flood quite a bit, but all moorings are on floating pontoons I think?

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

The one I mean is right next to the lock, it's probably Hermitage, yes. I haven't noticed it looking gloomy, but then I have only passed it by road (many times), never gone in there.

On 04/08/2017 at 08:28, rusty69 said:

We used to moor our narrowboat at Hartford marina(Huntingdon), things may have changed though. 

And the guided bus stops right outside the Marina entrance.

Edited by pearley

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:43, Athy said:

Two years late, 100 million pound cost overrun, Now needs 130 million pounds of repairs, Incident and accident prone. 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:05, crackedacademic said:

Good point - let me look at the logistics. 

A number of us at Foxes  have been doing the daily commute to Cambridge for years. The first direct train arrives in Cambridge just after 8am. For Cambridge North change at Ely, The Science Park is only ten minutes walk from Cambridge North. There is a earlier train at 6.43am with a change at Ely, which would get you to Cambridge North at 7.27am and Cambridge at 7.32am.  

On 09/08/2017 at 10:33, nbfiresprite said:

Two years late, 100 million pound cost overrun, Now needs 130 million pounds of repairs, Incident and accident prone. 

But apart from that....

I admit that Mrs. Athy and I have used it only for one return trip, a couple of weeks ago, and we were very impressed by it. Perhaps regular users have reason to be less impressed.