liveaboard costs

LadyG

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, DandV said:

No there was a whoops there. About £10 per year per foot. The blacking bit is only part of it. The other external surfaces degrade as well and  the effectiveness of any protective coating is determined by the weakest underlying layer back to bare steel.  No point in putting expensive  a paint over rubbish. And then there is the interior where because of the reduced interior volumes flooring, kitchen and bathrooms take even more of a hammering then houses.

Don

Aha!  That's better :D  I was going to suggest you spoke to whoever does your blacking!

Yes, that does of course, exclude cabin sides, roof, and other bits :)

12 hours ago, DandV said:

No there was a whoops there. About £10 per year per foot. The blacking bit is only part of it. The other external surfaces degrade as well and  the effectiveness of any protective coating is determined by the weakest underlying layer back to bare steel.  No point in putting expensive  a paint over rubbish. And then there is the interior where because of the reduced interior volumes flooring, kitchen and bathrooms take even more of a hammering then houses.

Don

You are making narrowboating sound expensive!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

You are making narrowboating sound expensive!

Staying anywhere, and moving around anywhere especially on holiday has expenses. Narrowboating on your own boat is actually extraordinarily inexpensive for what you get. Always a waterside view. A fully equipped apartment for a week in Paddington included. £600 for transport fuel, electricity and heating for six months in summer. 

Don

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Boating in general ain't a cheap hobby:)

probably cheaper in the near future when the gubberment withdraws the £50 note - now you will have to stand in a shower tearing up £20 notes.

1 minute ago, DandV said:

Staying anywhere, and moving around anywhere especially on holiday has expenses. Narrowboating on your own boat is actually extraordinarily inexpensive for what you get. Always a waterside view. A fully equipped apartment for a week in Paddington included. £600 for transport fuel, electricity and heating for six months in summer. 

Don

so LadyG can downgrade her estimate to £1200 per annum.     That's great news.  B)

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

6 hours ago, Murflynn said:

probably cheaper in the near future when the gubberment withdraws the £50 note - now you will have to stand in a shower tearing up £20 notes.

so LadyG can downgrade her estimate to £1200 per annum.     That's great news.  B)

Done

On 02/08/2017 at 23:27, nb Innisfree said:

Altogether it cost us approx £5k pa for year 2009 to 2010 (Christ, time's flying!)  

Would prob be about £6k for 2017. 

You can't include the Moet et Chandon for every day the sun shines.

Edited by LadyG

To be honest, I 'm on countdown [not the TV prog], and intend to do things!

Just had argument with bro:   who is going to pop clogs first, lol.

I have never has an argument with him, since I was eleven years old,  but I will win this one , lol

Edited by LadyG

22 hours ago, LadyG said:

To be honest, I 'm on countdown [not the TV prog], and intend to do things!

Just had argument with bro:   who is going to pop clogs first, lol.

I have never has an argument with him, since I was eleven years old,  but I will win this one , lol

One boat we looked at when looking to buy had a brass plaque on it saying something like "God doesn't deduct from ones allotted span the time spent boating", so if true, then  you should outlive your landlubbers brother. :D

39 minutes ago, cuthound said:

One boat we looked at when looking to buy had a brass plaque on it saying something like "God doesn't deduct from ones allotted span the time spent boating", so if true, then  you should outlive your landlubbers brother. :D

yep, and I already anticipate holiday bookings with relatives!

• 1 month later...

Hello again, just about six months since I discovered the narrowboat option, thought it was a ridiculous idea, but persevered, and decided to do it, sell up, move on to a nice wee boat.

Then a lot of things went awry, and now I have a lovely upgraded flat, and I still want to sell up, .

I have found a nice boat.  Fingers crossed I can get it. 

I get hope to get this flat sold next week, and have my frst xmas afloat [well actually back on land as I will do family for the holiday]. Then off for my first cruise of 2018.