liveaboard costs

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

yes, agreed, would a visit to a marina to get electricity always necessitate an overnight stay?  As I will be doing a fair amount of travel in my first few years, I  don;t expect too many battery management problems initially.

No - I guess you could just pull in and buy a 'couple of cylinders of electricity please' although not all Marinas offer the facility.

Do you consider moving every 2 weeks to be a 'fair amount of travel' ?

Your (almost) consecutive posts seem to be at great variance / contradictory with each other.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - I guess you could just pull in and buy a 'couple of cylinders of electricity please' although not all Marinas offer the facility.

Do you consider moving every 2 weeks to be a 'fair amount of travel' ?

Your (almost) consecutive posts seem to be at great variance / contradictory with each other.

No, my example of cc moving every two weeks was purely for theory, to show the minimum costs , essential expenditure.

The plan is to travel to places of interest, gaining experience and building an idea of where I  would probably settle for a longer period.

In the long term, I will have to move  back to land, or find a nice home mooring.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am not convinced that you actually know what you want, when you want it, where you are going to get it, or what you are going to do with it when you get it.

Tho' nothing wrong with dreams.

I find I am having to justify all my decisions, notably with brother who is now giving me advice on buying a boat, he assumes that is a bit like buying a car, ie that there is a base price, so he suggests offering £5K less for a boat which as been on the market for a bit!

My market research tells me that good boats are snapped up in days/hours, and they usually well worth the asking price to me, because the owner has looked after it and maintained it and upgraded it.

My first year cruising will be different from my last year, as by  that time I will be hanging up my windlass.

I would prefer a boat about 50ft, but even a 42 footer might do if it is well laid out. I appreciate a well built boat, external and internal. I can't cope wwith a Gardner, but a Lister is a possibility.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Why? Is he paying? 

No, its what brothers do!

I think I might have raised my voice when he came up with yet another reason why I should stay where I am, this includes being in a ground floor flat will be handy when I am in a wheelchair: in this he is wrong, you want to be in an upper flat, then the council will rehome you. The "no fixed abode" horrifies him, no medical support, he cannot envisage moving about in a boat, though he goes on holiday fairly frequently.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No, its what brothers do!

I think I might have raised my voise when he came up with yet another reason why I should stay where I am, this includes being in a ground floor flat will be handy when I am in a wheelchair. In this he is wrong, you want to be in an upper flat, then the council will rehome you. 

Its a shame you can't keep your flat and get a boat. 

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its a shame you can't keep your flat and get a boat. 

In theory, I could do, but I don't want to stay in that particular flat, its just not a place I like, and if you have ever rented your home, you will know why I don't intend to.

Edited by LadyG

23 hours ago, ianali said:

We don't lives board but are out cruising April till October. We then take a winter mooring at £1300. Not added up total yearly costs but it is somewhere between £4000-4500. Do servicing myself, not paid for any work to the boat apart from blacking. 58 foot NB. We see it as a cheap means of holidaying. 

Ian.

Very much in line with our experience on Whio for a comparable regime. 500 engine hours per year. 5.5 months cruising. 

Don and Val

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In theory, I could do, but I don't want to stay in that particular flat, its just not a place I like

You dont need to.Rent the place out, go boating, if you need a place in the future it will be there. 

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and if you have ever rented your home, you will know why I don't intend to.

Yes. No

Edited by rusty69

On 02/08/2017 at 20:06, LadyG said:

Its not so much a dream, it is just a relocation, and a new home, just happens to be a boat. 

Very good - I like your matter of fact perspective.

For some reason everything these days gets overblown. Everything that one wants to do is "a dream" and everything at work is "a challenge". It's all a load of nonsense.

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are so many variables and 'unexpected' costs that you could CC and have far higher costs than a 'moored boat', or vice versa.

I would suggest that the primary difference is solely the cost of the mooring.

Paying for electric will probably be similar to paying for diesel, you will only save on engine wear & tear.

Alan, not nit picking just asking. Are diesel v electric costs similar re charging ? When I plug in occasionally and stick a couple of quid in a meter I can be plugged in for hours with the charger on and it uses pennies. Running my engine costs around .7 litres per hour so maybe 50p an hour.

33 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

have a Mars bar then.  :cheers:

.........................  and please don't bring Marianne Faithfull into the discussion.   B)

...................  coat   :unsure:

Let's bring her into the discussion, preferably with pics of her on her motorbike! I still have her poster next to my bike in my garage. 

1 hour ago, ianali said:

Alan, not nit picking just asking. Are diesel v electric costs similar re charging ? When I plug in occasionally and stick a couple of quid in a meter I can be plugged in for hours with the charger on and it uses pennies. Running my engine costs around .7 litres per hour so maybe 50p an hour.

You are correct - but when on hook-up you can use the washing machine, toaster, deep fat fryer, battery charger, TV, Fridge, freezer hair dryer etc.

Electricity in a marina is very economical but should not be ignored  - but - of course it is tremendously variable.

20 hours ago, DandV said:

Very much in line with our experience on Whio for a comparable regime. 500 engine hours per year. 5.5 months cruising. 

Don and Val

The above costs do not include paint / blacking degradation. Either paid for as actual expenditure (if spent) or accelerated depreciation if not. Allow for at least £10 per foot per year. Coating maintenance is like visiting the dentist. About 50% to stop premature expensive failure and about 50% to maintain appearances. The reputable hire boat companies look after their coatings well purely as an economy imperative.

Don

Edited by DandV
Too many 0's

3 minutes ago, DandV said:

Allow for at least £100 per foot per year.

Just working out as I go, if you black every three years you're saying to save 21 thousand pounds over three years for a 70' narrowboat.

Even the first google search I clicked gave me a price of £620 for slippage, pressure washing, wire brushing, mioguard on patches, blacking, and return to water.

That's £2.95 per foot per year.

2 hours ago, Heffalump said:

Just working out as I go, if you black every three years you're saying to save 21 thousand pounds over three years for a 70' narrowboat.

Even the first google search I clicked gave me a price of £620 for slippage, pressure washing, wire brushing, mioguard on patches, blacking, and return to water.

That's £2.95 per foot per year.

No there was a whoops there. About £10 per year per foot. The blacking bit is only part of it. The other external surfaces degrade as well and  the effectiveness of any protective coating is determined by the weakest underlying layer back to bare steel.  No point in putting expensive  a paint over rubbish. And then there is the interior where because of the reduced interior volumes flooring, kitchen and bathrooms take even more of a hammering then houses.

Don