New Marina in Burnley - planning permission applied for

jonathanA

Featured Posts

Seems a new marina is proposed on the L&L  in Burnley - doesn't look like an ideal site on a sharp bend and opposite a busy dry dock, but guess the backers have thought it out

Planning detail at:

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

As it says "Decision: Invalid Application", perhaps they'll have to wait a bit longer for their new marina.

Kay & family had similar with Springwood Haven. It took a few tries before the application was approved. 

I'd assume given they (the applicant) have clearly spent money on the numerous reports needed these days (didn't see a bat or newt survey) they will correct the issue and get a valid application in.

The nearby Reedley marina is full most of the year so would suggest there is a call for some more mooring in the area, they also have permission to extend but haven't done so yet. not sure whether that's because they don't know if they can fill the extra spaces or the because the funding wasn't available. 

A few more boats would be nice, but not too many !! 

They will have to be careful making sure it is properly piled as this is the fall to the old railway line to the south of the proposal. The branch to Bank Hall colliery ran on the left, with the River Brun on the right.

Bank Hall 744.jpg

5 hours ago, Athy said:

As it says "Decision: Invalid Application", perhaps they'll have to wait a bit longer for their new marina.

This may be a quirk of their database as the consultation period still has some time to run.

I went to Burnley several times and enjoyed myself, but only for a few days each time: I attended the first four editions of the Burnley Blues Festival in the early 1990s. Unbeknown to me, about the same time, somewhere in Burnley a kid called James Anderson was discovering that he could bowl a cricket ball quite fast. I guess that he's currently the Greatest Living Burnleyan (if that's what they are called).

42 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Burnley is one of the largest markets for Benedictine, a result of the Burnley Pals being stationed by the monastery in the First World War.

That's one of those fascinating facts which emerges from nowhere to amaze us.

Er, aren't the Burnley Pals Battalion, even those who survived WW1, all deceased now? Have they passed their tastes in liqueurs down to younger generations?

Writing this, I suddenly fancy a B&B (Benedictine & Brandy) even though I haven't drunk one for about 20 years and it's only 10 in the morning.

Many of them were miners, and passed their taste on to others who didn't serve abroad. In winter, you can still ask locally for a 'Benny and hot', ie with hot water. It was very much a local thing, and it was unlikely to have been drunk in Blackburn to any great extent.

2 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Many of them were miners, and passed their taste on to others who didn't serve abroad. In winter, you can still ask locally for a 'Benny and hot', ie with hot water. It was very much a local thing, and it was unlikely to have been drunk in Blackburn to any great extent.

Once again I'm amazed. Thank you for that information.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I went to Burnley several times and enjoyed myself, but only for a few days each time: I attended the first four editions of the Burnley Blues Festival in the early 1990s. Unbeknown to me, about the same time, somewhere in Burnley a kid called James Anderson was discovering that he could bowl a cricket ball quite fast. I guess that he's currently the Greatest Living Burnleyan (if that's what they are called).

Correction, I'm the greatest Burleyite living (he wrote modestly) 

:)

• 6 months later...

Just come across this documentation by accident (occasional visitor to the area).  Fascinated by the 'artists impressions' not having seen many sailing yatchts in the Burnley area.  One or two aspects of tha application jar somewhat (or is it just me?).

...need to divert the toe path (sic) over an entrance bridge - who wrote that?.

...need to use rise and fall jetties to cope with anticipated high water levels (despite an extensive overflow weir within about 300m.

...the provision of 12 parking spaces - including some reserved for disabled badge holders  - for an 80 berth leisure marina.

Planning application has been approved:

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/attachments/app20170357_0_17 0357 Decision Notice.pdf

Includes "The use as a basin marina, as hereby permitted, shall only be used for
leisure/holiday purposes/use only and for no other purpose, and any boats/berths
moored at the site shall not be occupied as a person's sole or main place or
residence."

On 03/08/2017 at 07:08, Athy said:

I have never been to Burnley (and very rarely to anywhere in the whole north west) but I can name another contender.

Dave Fishwick, of Burnley Savings and Loans Ltd. Clearly a great man. I loved that TV series.

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

I have never been to Burnley (and very rarely to anywhere in the whole north west) but I can name another contender.

Dave Fishwick, of Burnley Savings and Loans Ltd. Clearly a great man. I loved that TV series.

...as might I have done, if I had ever heard of it.