Looking for a 2-4 Day Private Rental

kilobravo

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I'm an experienced and responsible boater (sold my 57' boat a few years ago with heavy heart). I was wondering if anyone was up for renting a boat out for a few days/nights week starting Monday August 7th. It's just me and my girlfriend so a large boat is not required but also welcome. Looking for Shropshire Union / Llangollen, Caldon, Peak Forest (or basically, anything along Four Counties / Cheshire Ring).

Apologies if this is not the correct forum.

Thanks.

Karl.

• Unimpressed 1

35 minutes ago, kilobravo said:

maybe there are other ways of coming to an arrangement

O'dear -

You are obviously not aware that C&RT employees are members of this site, and, monitor what is ‘going on’.

To be hired out a boat must meet many different requirements to a ‘leisure boat’ – not the least being a far more rigorous safety certificate.

No doubt you have read of the ‘accident’ a couple of weeks ago where someone hired out their ‘private’ boat, it sank and the insurance was invalidated   - the owner lost everything.

As a safety engineer, according to your profile, I am sure you are aware that bypassing procedures can often lead to tears as per the example cited above. 

I am sure I would not want my safety engineer to start thinking that "coming to some arrangement" to bypass existing safety measures is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, kilobravo said:

Of course - I'd check. Then again, maybe there are other ways of coming to an arrangement.

And I did wonder about hire bases but it is peak season ..but you never know. 

Thanks. K.

If you are ill advised enough to "come to an arrangement" - i.e. breach the licencing conditions - just bear in mind that the boat will not be insured with all the consequences that that involves, both to the boat owner, yourself and any third party who may be involved. It's much easier and very much safer to hire a boat from an established hire boat company.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, kilobravo said:

Of course - I'd check. Then again, maybe there are other ways of coming to an arrangement.

And I did wonder about hire bases but it is peak season ..but you never know. 

Thanks. K.

I don't know if they have any unbooked boats but I would google Chas Hardern.

On a more positive note

If you are only looking for a night or two then even in season I suspect most  hire companies may be able to fit you in,certainly worth a try. 

Question:Just curious but what would be the legal status with a share boat? Is share boat insurance and licensing different to private ownership? 

I know many part owners let family or friends use their share occasionally. 

2 minutes ago, reg said:

On a more positive note

If you are only looking for a night or two then even in season I suspect most  hire companies may be able to fit you in,certainly worth a try. 

Question:Just curious but what would be the legal status with a share boat? Is share boat insurance and licensing different to private ownership? 

I know many part owners let family or friends use their share occasionally. 

I think that depends on the share agreement within the syndicate and what insurance they have.  Somehow I suspect they will not allow money to change hands.

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

I think that depends on the share agreement within the syndicate and what insurance they have.  Somehow I suspect they will not allow money to change hands.

with our syndicate at least one of the Share holders has to be on the vessel.     However each share can have more than one name added to it which allows friends and family to be added to that specific share.    Money is not allowed to be exchanged though so we couldn't 'hire' out any unused time on the boat.    

25 minutes ago, Dharl said:

with our syndicate at least one of the Share holders has to be on the vessel.     However each share can have more than one name added to it which allows friends and family to be added to that specific share.    Money is not allowed to be exchanged though so we couldn't 'hire' out any unused time on the boat.    

Our syndicate has very similar rules;  because our boat is self managed by the syndicate, it is treated as a privately owned boat with one or two named persons on the licence, and the BSC complies with the normal conditions like any other private boat, including hiring for reward. Share boats who are managed by a commercial management company, however, have to comply with the same conditions as a hire boat, but they are still governed by their own syndicate rules which do not allow hiring or other similar arrangements.

Howard

4 hours ago, kilobravo said:

Thanks for all the replies. It would seem the most feasible and sensible option is to approach the hire companies. Cheers K. 

That would seem the sensible thing to do I hope you find something. 

Although a different situation here's a link to someone, referenced earlier,  who tried to bypass procedures

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/15418817.Narrowboat_recovered_by_canal_and_river_trust/

The pertinent statement being

""As soon as she decided to rent out her boat, this became a commercial operation requiring a different level of insurance and a business boating licence.”

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1