Wet & dry vac under 900w?

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Mitchellmoxo said:

Hello I am after a wet and dry vac I can use to clean the bilge with that is under 1000w as my only mains power source is a Honda eu10i generator. I have looked online but can't seem to find much hence coming on here for a solution. 

Thanks 

DeWalt do one.. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Vacuum-Dust-Collector-Accessories/DeWalt-DCV582-GB-Cordless-Corded-Vacuum/B00NMIAIPE

12 minutes ago, Mitchellmoxo said:

Great thanks I have brought the dewalt one at 300W I know my generator will definately power it but we will see how powerful it is!

If you don't already have any it might be worth buying a couple of batteries for it too. Don't buy DeWalt ones, the clones are much cheaper and every bit as good in my experience. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

The dewalt one is corded as well, shame really as the makita looks a nice device.

looks like the Makita isn’t wet n dry either tho

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, Mitchellmoxo said:

Great thanks I have brought the dewalt one at 300W I know my generator will definately power it but we will see how powerful it is!

I wouldn't have thought a 300w motor was enough to suck water/oil out of a narrowboat bilge  - maybe you can let us know how you get on with it.

52 minutes ago, Robbo said:

The dewalt one is corded as well, shame really as the makita looks a nice device.

looks like the Makita isn’t wet n dry either tho

There is a non corded version, and cheaper.  

Dewalt that is. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

35 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I wouldn't have thought a 300w motor was enough to suck water/oil out of a narrowboat bilge  - maybe you can let us know how you get on with it.

I would also be interested to know how much it sucks.

37 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

37 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

Prob powerful enough but will just take longer? 

Edited by nb Innisfree

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Ofcourse only cheaper if you have the batteries already :D and don't tend to get them.

Mmm... very true, £35 for a 4ah cheap batt from eBay + £22 for a charger from same, starts to stack up. But then you could spend £120 and get a Dewalt drill two 1.5 ah batts and a charger, the possibilities are endless if you have deep pockets... 

1 hour ago, smileypete said:

Maybe look at other ways of dealing with oil and water in bilge, I couldn't imagine vacuuming it.

Maybe get down to 1/4" with a small 12V DC pump and a simple separator, then use some type of absorbent stuff for the oil.

Nah, a wet vac is the way to go but you do need something with decent water lift, the 12v types are no use at all this is why I'm interested to see if 300w is powerful enough, I doubt it.

Incidentally some years ago I was in an awkward predicament with a flooded bilge and all I had was the (Numatic) mains wet vac and a 750w honda generator.  To my surprise It did manage to power the vac enough to hoover out the bilge.  The generator got nicked so I hope I wrecked it... the vac I still have and still use.  

What about a Pela vacuum pump. No electricity involved, only hand power. Available in 6 and 2 litre capacities.

You could use one to change your engine or gearbox oil as well. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pela-6000-Oil-Pump-Extraction-x/dp/B002EJ2GUC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/Pela-Oil-Extractor-PL2000-2000/B002EPIM9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1501604582&sr=1-1&keywords=Pela+2000

54 minutes ago, cuthound said:

What about a Pela vacuum pump. No electricity involved, only hand power. Available in 6 and 2 litre capacities.

You could use one to change your engine or gearbox oil as well. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pela-6000-Oil-Pump-Extraction-x/dp/B002EJ2GUC

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Garden-Outdoors/Pela-Oil-Extractor-PL2000-2000/B002EPIM9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1501604582&sr=1-1&keywords=Pela+2000

Even better if the small bore extractor pipe is replaced with a larger bore one. 

18 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

Your genny will not run a 900w motor, look at its constant running wattage and its probably only 700w, and even then the start up surge of the motor may stall it.

Neil

Rated watts are 900 which is probably why the OP mentioned that figure, so it should run up to a 900w motor depending on startup load. 

Specification Honda EU10i

Brand Honda
Power Details Honda GXH50 4-stroke, OHV, 1 cylinder, 49.4cc
Phase Single Phase
Fuel Type Petrol Unleaded
Rated Watts (W) 900
KVA 1.0
Voltage 230
Rated Frequency (Hz) 50
DC Rated Output 12 V / 8 A
Sockets 2 x 230V 13 amp 1x12v(DC)
Output Technology Inverter