What tools

Leemc

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Or buy a boat with a Beta engine.

My engine has a manual pump fitted but it is hard work and slow.  My Seeley vacuum pump is far superior and will service the gearbox.  I also found it great when my generator dumped about 5 gallons of fuel in the bilge.  I hoovered it up, filtered it and put it back in the fuel tank.

A wrist strength test.  Grasp a 16lb sledge hammer by the end of the handle with one hand with the business end resting on the ground. Now lift it slowly up and gently touch your nose with the hammer head,  and lower.  A pal of mine thought he'd bought a bargain when he bought a 16lb sledge for £8.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A wrist strength test.  Grasp a 16lb sledge hammer by the end of the handle with one hand with the business end resting on the ground. Now lift it slowly up and gently touch your nose with the hammer head,  and lower.  A pal of mine thought he'd bought a bargain when he bought a 16lb sledge for £8.

I bet he looks like Joe Bugner now!

1 minute ago, mross said:

I bet he looks like Joe Bugner now!

Many moons ago I could do it. Joe Bugner wasn't much of a fighter, when under pressure he'd turn his back completely on his oponent.

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

A couple of big Pry bars. Exstremely useful for levering things like alternator for belt tension. Breaking in when your locked out ect.

yeah, never keep your tools locked up inside - hang it on the stern rail so you can break in when you need to.   :unsure:

I always tried to plan so that I could fix problems when I was miles from help.  Therefore, I had loads of nuts, washers, o-rings etc that I might never use.  But, when you need them, you really need them!  It's always good to have some bodging stuff to get you to the next yard, chandlers or pub.

Self amalgamating tape. Safety pins to hitch yer underpants up when the elastic snaps, them hanging down around the knees limits your mobility and can be dangerous.

Edited by bizzard

As well as all of the previous recommendations I would suggest a set of bolt cutters and a small pruning saw for trips down the weedhatch. 

In winter pouring a kettle of hot water down the weedhatch before feeling what is caught around the prop will ensure you retain feeling in your hands for a short while. Repeat when your hands begin to get cold.

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

A pair of tweezers and a loupe for getting swarfe out of your ... (fill in as appropriate).

Lathe and mill.

I know you're joking but a couple of years ago we were moored in Nantwich.

As we left we passed a boat that had a lathe and a mill in the front.

We could see them from the water but we'd walked past the boat a number of times without noticing them.

Station Road Steam had this beauty for sale a year or so ago Eigiau

The sales blurb says:

"I collected this one from its builder, a man still modelling prolifically although now in gauge 1 - less a concession to age, more to living and working on a narrow boat (which he built himself and in which this locomotive has been on display for many years)"

I wonder if it was the builders boat that we passed. There can't be that many narrowboats with a small locomotive works aboard.

18 hours ago, bizzard said:

Many moons ago I could do it. Joe Bugner wasn't much of a fighter, when under pressure he'd turn his back completely on his oponent.

I think he had it all apart from the desire to really hurt opponents. Maybe that wasn't a bad thing? Ian.

Just to add to this I and others can assist with spare/ replacement items kept on board. The reason I keep such items is that I have found a couple of times in my near 30 years liveaboard experience the crap normaly hits the fan miles from anywhere and when you are skint.

I have lots of bits such as screws  bolts, tape, filters, oil.  etc etc and carry spare

Propeller

Control cables

Inverter

ropes

loads of pins and windlasses

Water pump ( I don't carry a spare whale gulper as I have never had one fail )

stove chimney

That's without thinking too hard I am sure I have lots of other bits if I look.

Sockets and spanners to fit all of the fixings on the engine/gearbox/drive coupling. Assorted screwdrivers, Mole grips, Multimeter, hose clips, block connector, wire, electrical tape, spare bulbs. Same range of tools I carry in the B (just miss out the spare points, plugs and condenser!). 

Seems like a lot of tools however they all fit in a small tool box in the engine room. Usually the reason why you get stranded is something small breaks, you know how to fix it, but haven't got the tool to fix it with...