Our new adventure day 10.

Debs

Featured Posts

Someone has said that I should tie all these posts into one. However, as I'm new at all of this, could an administrator please tell me what, if anything, I'm doing wrong!? 

After a fitful nights sleep, debating whether I should go to hospital with my foot (obviously with my foot as it still attached to my body?) being so painful, I decided that I couldn't risk a day sat in A&E! Although said foot was bruised, as we're many other body parts, I decided that the thing to do was carry on cruising! That could make a really good title for a film!  Anyway, we set off in nice sunshine and the countryside looked stunning! I just can't tell you how good it is to be plodding along with the sound of the birds and the engine and the occasional Virgin train flashing past! 

We stopped for lunch at The Wharf Inn. The service was quick and friendly and the food was ok bearing in mind that we only had a sandwich. When we left, we were lock free for hours! 

About 10 mins later, we suddenly noticed another boat getting particularly friendly with our back end until another boat was coming in the opposite direction. We alerted the oncoming boat that there was a boat behind us at (wouldn't you know it) a bend! Although they took immediate action, the boat behind us decided to slam into the front of the boat we had passed! We thought (stupidly enough) that the boat behind would have decided to slow down however, it wasn't long before they decided that they should overtake us, even though we were following a hire craft, and rammed our rear end! As, I'm sure you can imagine, I was not at all impressed with them and told them so in not so many words! 

We eventually got to the Buckby flight and, unfortunately, the hire craft in front, went in with another boat which left us with Sterling Moss of the canal world! They asked if we were going up the flight and, I'm not ashamed to say, I told them that there was nothing I would like less than travel with someone who thought that a canal holiday should contend with Cowes Week! Needless to say, they went up alone and so did we! Not sure who the winner was there! I was, however given the opportunity to captain the boat whilst Mick went and set the lock. I have to say, I need more practice. It didn't help that my shoe broke halfway through and by the time I had got a different pair of shoes out, the opposite gates had opened before I had a chance to close the paddles! 

On a couple of the pounds, the water was very low, in fact, it was about a foot lower than it should have been and we saw a boat more or less on its side. However, we eventually made it to the top of the flight where we stopped for some well deserved food in The New Inn. OMG! The portions are huge so beware what you order if you ever go there! 

My foot is still very bruised and sore but we have achieved more than we would have sat in A&E so all is good! Downing a couple of paracetamol with wine now so let's hope tomorrow is better? Roll on the South Oxford Canal!

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2508.PNG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

• Greenie 1

Try Neurouen Plus rather than Paracetamol.

It is ibuprofen with a bit of codeine, and I find it the most effective over the counter painkiller available. I very occasionally suffer from gout, and it is the only over the counter painkiller that eases the pain.

Someone has said that I should tie all these posts into one. However, as I'm new at all of this, could an administrator please tell me what, if anything, I'm doing wrong!? 

I read and enjoyed your post and would have gone back to a previous one in order to discover how you injured your foot. With your method this would take longer than I am able to spare at the moment.

So, while you are not doing anything wrong, you are not maximising your audience either.

That's all very well but you are only allowed a certain number of photos per post! I can't see that it makes too much difference. Xx

4 hours ago, frahkn said:

I read and enjoyed your post and would have gone back to a previous one in order to discover how you injured your foot. With your method this would take longer than I am able to spare at the moment.

So, while you are not doing anything wrong, you are not maximising your audience either.

Why can't you just look for Debs and then all the posts that I do will come up?

4 hours ago, Debs said:

That's all very well but you are only allowed a certain number of photos per post! I can't see that it makes too much difference. Xx

Why can't you just look for Debs and then all the posts that I do will come up?

Yes Debs, I'm not complaining - you do it however is comfortable for you - I was just giving you an example of one of the (small) issues with your method.

I am sure that if I did as you suggest, that would solve my difficulty. The thing is, I am used to just going back in the thread, not looking up another post. Did you hurt your foot yesterday or last Wednesday fortnight - how many posts will I need to check?

You will live without one extra hit on your injury post (hope it's better, by the way) and I'll live with the curiosity unfulfilled.

Frank

8 hours ago, Athy said:

I can't decide whether the figure in the last photo is a real person or a sculpture. He looks wooden.

It's an art installation. There is an art studio not far from the bridge. X

7 hours ago, rasputin said:

it would have saved you a bit of hassle and unpleasantness if you had pulled over and let the faster boat past.

There was a hire boat in front of us and we were just coming up to an entrance of a marina again, just before a flight of locks. There were moored boats on our right hand side. Where were we meant to have pulled over to?

5 minutes ago, Debs said:

That's a relief - though the locals might not be impressed if he's supposed to be representative of the people round there.

I admire the careful avoidance of attitudes in your description "art installation", most diplomatic.

16 hours ago, Debs said:

There was a hire boat in front of us and we were just coming up to an entrance of a marina again, just before a flight of locks. There were moored boats on our right hand side. Where were we meant to have pulled over to?

I don't understand the relevance of the hire boat in front of you 

10 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Perhaps because it meant that the boat behind would have to overtake two boats instead of just one - a more difficult and risky manoeuvre?

On 8/1/2017 at 11:32, cuthound said:

Try Neurouen Plus rather than Paracetamol.

It is ibuprofen with a bit of codeine, and I find it the most effective over the counter painkiller available. I very occasionally suffer from gout, and it is the only over the counter painkiller that eases the pain.

Take care it's actually quite a lot of codeine (the strongest you can buy)... quite constipating and addictive so don't use for longer than a few days. Also there are new restrictions on driving when taking it, I am not sure whether they would apply to driving a boat!? Having said that cuthound is absolutely right it is a good pain killer when used properly!

6 hours ago, rasputin said:

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Perhaps because it meant that the boat behind would have to overtake two boats instead of just one - a more difficult and risky manoeuvre?

Thank you Athy, that was exactly what was meant! We understand the importance of getting from A to B when time is limited and we would normally slow down and move over but there really was no opportunity to do so.

6 hours ago, NickF said:

Take care it's actually quite a lot of codeine (the strongest you can buy)... quite constipating and addictive so don't use for longer than a few days. Also there are new restrictions on driving when taking it, I am not sure whether they would apply to driving a boat!? Having said that cuthound is absolutely right it is a good pain killer when used properly!

• Thank you NickF. I don't really do painkillers unless absolutely neccsary. I prefer wine. ; )