Name The Header Tank

Featured Posts

Ok, no prizes offered folks, but would be grateful if you could identify this coolant header tank. It's cracked and dripping in two places. I'll try a bodge repair with some epoxy glue until I can source a replacement.

Hint: When we were replacing the coolant in the winter somebody passing by reckoned it was the same as those used on old Austin cars, possibly a Maestro or 1100. However, the boat was built in 1997 and it.looks original equipment.

WP_20170731_20_33_56_Pro.jpg

Edited by Froggy
Typos

I've been checking around, you may struggle to find one. None of the classic car sites I tried have one, some of the Metro racing sites have threads about looking for alternatives

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It's a bog standard Leyland expansion tank as used in Metros, Maestros, Montegos and loads of others

Richard

MORE: And Minis

Hey, many thanks for the rapid response! Do you know if these are still available? I'm on the boat atm and only have limited internet access via smartphone.

Just now, Froggy said:

Hey, many thanks for the rapid response! Do you know if these are still available? I'm on the boat atm and only have limited internet access via smartphone.

Seems they are now rare, probably because they break

I haven't found one yet. The MGB ones are quite common, but they don't have enough pipes

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

I've been checking around, you may struggle to find one. None of the classic car sites I tried have one, some of the Metro racing sites have threads about looking for alternatives

Richard

That's bad news. :-( It needs replacing pretty urgently and didn't really want to be drilling new holes and rerouting hoses.

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This has been useful, I found this: http://minispares.com/product/Classic/Cooling_heating/Water/PCF101240.aspx?0703&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/expansion tank.aspx

PCF101240.jpg

That looks like the one used on the Lister Alpha engines. I thought they were extinct!

Richard

If at all possible I'd like to replace like for like. If I have to use something else do you think any expansion tank would do? Is the tank size and location of the hoses critical?

Most expansion tanks will do. Ideally you want one you can mount easily and has two pipes of the same size as yours (this isn't quite so critical)

This looks possible: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolant-Expansion-Tank-Bottle-Cap-For-Renault-Clio-II-Kangoo-Thalia-/302221490780?epid=1578379327&hash=item465dcdfa5c:g:k9QAAOSwux5YXoF~

s-l1600.jpg

Richard

3 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Most expansion tanks will do. Ideally you want one you can mount easily and has two pipes of the same size as yours (this isn't quite so critical)

This looks possible: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coolant-Expansion-Tank-Bottle-Cap-For-Renault-Clio-II-Kangoo-Thalia-/302221490780?epid=1578379327&hash=item465dcdfa5c:g:k9QAAOSwux5YXoF~

s-l1600.jpg

Richard

Thanks for all your help Richard, really appreciated. I'll do a bodge repair with some Araldite tomorrow and see how it holds up, this might buy me some time. It's annoying to find this issue when we were trying to keep the engine bilge dry to paint at the weekend. Have also noticed water dripping into bilge from calorifier overflow tube, which may or may not be related.

You could try LSX . When originally launched about 40 years ago it was said that you could put some on a coin force it onto a running tap and tape up. allow to cure take of the tape and coin and the tap could be sealed. Never tried it, but it`s certainly served me well as belt and braces for years. Traditional plumbers my apologies for even suggesting it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

You could try LSX . When originally launched about 40 years ago it was said that you could put some on a coin force it onto a running tap and tape up. allow to cure take of the tape and coin and the tap could be sealed. Never tried it, but it`s certainly served me well as belt and braces for years. Traditional plumbers my apologies for even suggesting it. 

Thanks for this. I've never heard of the product but if the Araldite doesn't work will seek some out. I'm not sure I'd trust any adhesive to hold longterm though, and not worth risking losing an engine ro overheating, so if anyone finds an exact replica of the header tank in the top post please let me know.

Edited by Froggy

When I replaced my central heating header tank which was the same as your BMC one. I bought one of these alloy header tanks, as it is in the engine room. I also replaced the engine header tank, a Leyland one as in the picture by RLWP, with a Renault header tank off eBay. The one with the brown top . I still have the old engine header tank if it is of any use to you. The engine header tank used to sit on top of the Lister LPWS3. You are welcome to it for the cost of P&P unless the CWDF "courier service" is functioning.

DSCF5021.jpg

DSCF1542.JPG

S8004150.jpg

DSCF3444.JPG

DSCF3445.JPG

DSCF5064.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Ray, many thanks for your very generous offer, but I'm not sure that would do the job. The back/rear of the tank is mounted against the bulkhead so no pipes can be routed there. I would prefer to have the two pipe connections as they currently exist, i.e. connecting to the tank at the bottom.

I've managed to contact the original boat fitters and they might be able to help me out, i will feed back on this in due course.

If you cannot find a replacement, possible suggestions (I assume its a crack that is the problem)

After cleaning the area seal using a hot glue gun, It may or may not stick.

"Melt" the crack together with a soldering iron.

See if there is anyone in your are that does plastic welding.

15 hours ago, croftie said:

If you cannot find a replacement, possible suggestions (I assume its a crack that is the problem)

After cleaning the area seal using a hot glue gun, It may or may not stick.

"Melt" the crack together with a soldering iron.

See if there is anyone in your are that does plastic welding.

There are several cracks, i failed to register the repairs already done to the tank when we first viewed the boat but they are visible in the photograph. There is now a lot more resin on the tank after i've added my own efforts! I don't expect this to hold longterm and is merely a temporary bodge until we can source a replacement.

14 hours ago, X Alan W said:

If all else fails how about the dreaded auto Scrap Yard

That could be a long search given that said Austin models date back to the 1980s! I've pencilled it in as the option of last resort!

The tank is probably made from PP or PE both of which are terrible to glue to.  In fact most adhesives state that they are not suitable for PP & PE.  If getting another tank, my understanding is that petrol expansion tanks were not usually pressurised - certainly on older cars - whereas diesel tanks are.  Consequently diesel tanks are designed to withstand the pressure, whereas a petrol tank may not be.  Something to think about.

Added - Plastic welding sounds like a very good idea, but you should use 'rods' of the same material.  If the tank is not that old - but it probably is - there may be a recycle mark which will tell you the material.

Edited by Chewbacka

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

petrol expansion tanks were not usually pressurised - certainly on older cars - whereas diesel tanks are.

That isn't correct. Even my venerable 1972 MG has a pressurised expansion tank, as did it's forebears

Richard