Sliding glass window

Featured Posts

Old GRP boat, replacing the glass in a window. The window frame contains two tracks, one takes the fixed pane, the other pane slides to open & close.

The fixed pane looked to have some perished rubber, the glazer suggested just using sealant to secure it.

The moving pane just seemed to have the glass slide over the metal. The glazer suggested some grease on the bottom.

Can anyone suggest a type of grease to use? Or any other ideas?

Have also just been reading about butyl tape on here, for when replacing the frame.

Thanks

On 7/31/2017 at 20:58, WotEver said:

+1

+2

never used grease myself.  glass edge on metal i cant see it doing a great deal IMO

Best to reseal if you can, faff of a job but lots better than adding sealant into it. would need all the old track/rubber removing first and a good clean down so the window will be best to come out anyway.

I did mine here on page 3

Thanks all.

Looks like flock lined is an option for the slider.

W, must have been through your thread a number of times but had maybe missed that part. Will look into the felt and similar. Good to see you have your mojo back!

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone coming across this in future, ended up buying a roll of 25mm x 1mm rubber and did both parts with that. All seems okay to so far, first window put back into the boat. Can always add some lubrication later onto the slider side if needed. Onto the next one. Cheers