60 x 10 engine size

Featured Posts

The turbo version will be cleaner and likely more economical as well, The turbo will only boost under load so extra fueling will be at that point, for the rest of the time 98% it will be running at just over tickover, I would be inclined unless the price difference is huge to go for the later engine

The Isuzu engines are pretty reliable. A 55hp correctly propped would be plenty for your boat, but if you can get the Isuzu 70 (65hp) thrown in as part of the deal, why not. Personally I'd rather have Isuzu than Canaline, even if it's just a different badge, but I know relatively little about engines.

Edited by blackrose

19 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Is the turbo not just one more thing to go wrong?  Are turbo engines now common on narrowboats?

I know a bloke on a barge with a big new 185hp Vetus turbo that went berserk and ran away burning the engine oil and it was down to a turbo fault. Fortunately it didn't wreck the engine and the supplier repaired what was damaged under warranty. But you might be right.

On 01/08/2017 at 11:34, peterboat said:

I have a 50hp Barrus shire in my 57 x 12 widebeam I, like Blackrose had to have it repitched to get the engine to rev. It will now reach 3000 rpm in open water and performs not bad on the Trent. On canals its more than up to the job at all times.

As for engines I am in the Kubota/Yanmar/Isuzu camp in that order in marine terms thats Beta/Barrus Shire/Vetus I think, just my thoughts

I have been doing a lot of research and visited a number of builders, the one I think I will go with says he would fit a Barrus Shire 50 in my now 57 x 10 boat.  He says I can go bigger but he thinks this is the right one to have the engine working at a more optimum state for more of the time.  Peter do you have any advice on which prop to use as you have the same engine, is he correct?

1 hour ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have been doing a lot of research and visited a number of builders, the one I think I will go with says he would fit a Barrus Shire 50 in my now 57 x 10 boat.  He says I can go bigger but he thinks this is the right one to have the engine working at a more optimum state for more of the time.  Peter do you have any advice on which prop to use as you have the same engine, is he correct?

I do indeed have the same engine and it has been faultless. The prop is a 19 x 10 I think but have a look on prop calcs to make sure It allows my engine to rev to 3000 rpm so is well in its powerband on rivers

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I do indeed have the same engine and it has been faultless. The prop is a 19 x 10 I think but have a look on prop calcs to make sure It allows my engine to rev to 3000 rpm so is well in its powerband on rivers

19 x 10 is quite a flat prop. I assume 3 blade? What was it originally before you had it repitched? Does it bite when you put it in gear or is there a lot of slip in the water before it does anything?

Perhaps i could have gone a bit flatter when mine was repitched. It was originally 19 x 13 but I got it taken down to 18.5 x 11.5 - probably should have gone down to 11 inch pitch. Noris says they can always do it once more.

Remember I am 12 x 57 so would weigh more than you so weight and length are the 2 questions that the prop calc was interested in. Also my engine now revs to 3000 rpm so it must be right, however this was done a couple of years ago so I might be wrong. The prop used to be 19  x 14 if I remember and would only rev to 2000 rpm