Diesel Braunston and Leicester Line

Mrs Tawny Owl

Featured Posts

Hi, we are leaving Braunston on Saturday heading towards Leicester and we won't get there unless we put some diesel in the tank!

Any suggestions for a good place to fill up, or even of there's a fuel boat that's likely to cross our path.

Thanks

Sue

68p is a good price I think, I just filled up at Calcutt and it was 70p.  We were heading to Braunston, but I decided that the deisel was low so diverted to Calcutt, good job it took 200.9 litres in a tank that is supposed to be 200 litres capacity!

21 minutes ago, john6767 said:

68p is a good price I think, I just filled up at Calcutt and it was 70p.  We were heading to Braunston, but I decided that the deisel was low so diverted to Calcutt, good job it took 200.9 litres in a tank that is supposed to be 200 litres capacity!

That explains why you weren't here when we arrived a Braunston :)

We paid 72p/l base rate to Dusty on the Oxford.

Tawny is still here and looking happy. We nearly ended up breasted up but found a space on the end of the 48hr VMs next to the water point. Given the standard of driving witnessed since I think that's probably safer than sticking out in the middle of the cut.

MP.

13 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Tawny is still here and looking happy. We nearly ended up breasted up but found a space on the end of the 48hr VMs next to the water point. Given the standard of driving witnessed since I think that's probably safer than sticking out in the middle of the cut.

MP.

We are between Braunston and Napton, will be going to Braunston tomorrow, will you still be there?

20 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We are between Braunston and Napton, will be going to Braunston tomorrow, will you still be there?

We'll be hitting Midland Chandlers and Tradline first and then the plan was head leisurely back towards Napton. Nothing stops us spending another night here though.

MP.

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

We are moored opposite pub just down from you then. Have noticed some interesting steering and locking techniques today! 

1 hour ago, ianali said:

We are moored opposite pub just down from you then. Have noticed some interesting steering and locking techniques today! 

We witnessed a mutiny by the teenaged portion of a hireboat crew half way up Napton flight. The enforced stop (in a very short pound) was being made more difficult because the mooring hammer was previously lost in the cut.

Holiday memories are made of this.....

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

We witnessed a mutiny by the teenaged portion of a hireboat crew half way up Napton flight. The enforced stop (in a very short pound) was being made more difficult because the mooring hammer was previously lost in the cut.

Holiday memories are made of this.....

MP.

When we were coming down, dad of said crew was in the water retrieving the hammer.  I am amazed that he found it, but he did.

7 minutes ago, john6767 said:

When we were coming down, dad of said crew was in the water retrieving the hammer.  I am amazed that he found it, but he did.

Maybe he found the one I lost in there years ago, i certainly never found it! 

I lost a mooring hammer when about to leave a mooring in Macclesfield, years ago.

I gently threw the hammer onto the stern deck, and it slid across the deck the head fitted squarely in the gap in the cant and the hammer fell into the cut.

I never found it, but we carried an identical spare.  When I tried the head of the spare hammer in the gap in the cant,  there was less than 1mm gap when the head was square in the gap. Any off centre movement and it jammed.

As I write, there's a CRT workboat piling the bank of the winding hole directly opposite the marina entrance, which is making the large number of turning boat movements even more entertaining than usual. It's also bl**dy noisy :(

MP