£150 fine on long term moorings

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

This is common practice, is it not? It must happen thousands of times a year around the network. We, for example, lent our mooring overnight to another boater three weeks ago because we were going cruising for a couple of days and thus the mooring would be empty until our return.

Any suggestion that there is something wrong with so doing is dog-in-the-manger in the extreme.

There was no serious suggestion that it is wrong. Equally though I doubt anyone has ever constructed a contract for a lease that entitles the leaseholder to unofficially sub-let even if it is for no money.

In my dealings with CRT staff they seem pretty relaxed about the use of vacancies. If you were offering your spot to another CRT mooring customer then getting permission would almost certainly be a formality.

However if they contract out the management of moorings to a third party who is incentivised by revenue then it could be a different story. I think it pays to know what you have actually signed up for.

JP

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

I'd be interested to hear in due course what representations NABO makes about that in appropriate meetings and what CRT's response is, though I'm not holding my breath for CRT to back down!

I have been onto the NABO website but just get a "404 message" when linking to the details - Maybe Tuscan can post a copy of the letter etc.

1 minute ago, barry adams said:

How long before the scroats deface the signs with a spray can. Once defaced enforcement will be very difficult or possible impossible.

I expect they will put a sign up saying no graffiti, £5000 fine

On 01/08/2017 at 07:23, Athy said:

This is common practice, is it not? It must happen thousands of times a year around the network. We, for example, lent our mooring overnight to another boater three weeks ago because we were going cruising for a couple of days and thus the mooring would be empty until our return.

Any suggestion that there is something wrong with so doing is dog-in-the-manger in the extreme.

On the other hand, if you arrived back at your mooring after a few weeks away and found a strange unoccupied boat moored on it, you would be extremely annoyed and expect CRT to do something about it, I suspect.

These 'no mooring' signs MUST require a complaint to be made before action is taken. The parking company are not going to be cruising around looking up on a chart every boat moored on a CRT mooring to check it is the right boat, looking to issue a ticket. That would not be productive enough to be viable.

Consequently, I think the signs are a response to home moorer complaints about their home moorings being blocked.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I raised in the previous thread the dubiety of the claim on the big notice that the towpath was "private property", the basis on which DE claims it can make this a purely civil matter about the right to moor on such land. I had thought that the canals were still in public ownership and vested in CRT as a creature of statute by the relevant minister.

Are you suggesting that as it is in public ownership land can't be made private?  If so two things to consider:

I am sure there are lots of examples of council owned land that you aren't allowed to access.

Under this definition of private "belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only" it is possible to label publicly owned land private.

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the other hand, if you arrived back at your mooring after a few weeks away and found a strange unoccupied boat moored on it, you would be extremely annoyed and expect CRT to do something about it, I suspect.

Of course I would be annoyed (wouldn't you?), though I am not sure if I would expect CART to be involved. But that wasn't what I was talking about: I was referring to knowingly letting someone else use our mooring while we were away - which, if I have understood earlier posts aright, I am now supposed to obtain written permission before doing.

One of the moorers on our stretch often puts up a sign when he's going away, detailing the dates of his absence and inviting other boaters to use the space if there's no room on the public moorings. This seems to me to be in the co-operative spirit of boating, rather than breaching some pettifogging rule made up by someone in an office who doesn't know a boat from a hole in the ground.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Big breaths - slowly - and again.

There - that's better isn't it.

What do you mean?

I take it that you disagree in some way. To me, the co-operative spirit and helpful attitude of most boaters is a large part of the waterways' appeal. Offering one's mooring, when it is vacant, for use by other boaters is an example of that spirit and attitude. Do you see it differently?

On 01/08/2017 at 09:21, Athy said:

Of course I would be annoyed (wouldn't you?), though I am not sure if I would expect CART to be involved. But that wasn't what I was talking about: I was referring to knowingly letting someone else use our mooring while we were away - which, if I have understood earlier posts aright, I am now supposed to obtain written permission before doing.

One of the moorers on our stretch often puts up a sign when he's going away, detailing the dates of his absence and inviting other boaters to use the space if there's no room on the public moorings. This seems to me to be in the co-operative spirit of boating, rather than breaching some pettifogging rule made up by someone in an office who doesn't know a boat from a hole in the ground.

Excuse me, I thought we were discussing the reasons for the new signs and £150 fines. 

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

What do you mean?

I take it that you disagree in some way. To me, the co-operative spirit and helpful attitude of most boaters is a large part of the waterways' appeal. Offering one's mooring, when it is vacant, for use by other boaters is an example of that spirit and attitude. Do you see it differently?

I obviously was a little unclear - I agree totally and was just trying to help you calm down with your frustrations with a bod who "doesn't know a boat from a hole in the ground"

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I had thought that the canals were still in public ownership and vested in CRT as a creature of statute by the relevant minister.

The essential canal and river ‘system’ – i.e what used to be known as the ‘track’ - is separate from the ‘investment portfolio’ of property. The infrastructure is vested in the “Waterways Infrastructure Trust” in perpetuity for the nation, and Canal and River Trust are the currently appointed trustees for that trust. They can be replaced as trustee, and can only legally dispose of the infrastructure by agreement of the Secretary of State following public consultation [not that any effective public consultation is available, owing to utterly obscure notifications of relevant applications].

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Are you suggesting that as it is in public ownership land can't be made private?  If so two things to consider:

I am sure there are lots of examples of council owned land that you aren't allowed to access.

Under this definition of private "belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only" it is possible to label publicly owned land private.

Ah, interesting, thank you, I didn't know that.

2 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

The essential canal and river ‘system’ – i.e what used to be known as the ‘track’ - is separate from the ‘investment portfolio’ of property. The infrastructure is vested in the “Waterways Infrastructure Trust” in perpetuity for the nation, and Canal and River Trust are the currently appointed trustees for that trust. They can be replaced as trustee, and can only legally dispose of the infrastructure by agreement of the Secretary of State following public consultation [not that any effective public consultation is available, owing to utterly obscure notifications of relevant applications].

Presumably the towpath is part of the track/system. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the appearance of the word private to describe any part of such property sets off alarm bells in my head. I've never seen the National Trust describe the property it holds in trust in a similar way as private, though obviously they charge for access to much of it.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance and all that...

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Presumably the towpath is part of the track/system.

It is. It could be argued [as I do] that CaRT's obligation is to maintain the towpath for the equitably shared use of all, such that carving out sections for private use upon payment, is ultra vires and contrary to the terms of their trustee-ship. Indeed, Nigel Johnson made this distinction between private and public benefit years ago, though I think he used it, perversely, to justify charging rather than to oppose such removal of the public benefit for private interests.

I cannot take time to look back for the relevant material, but it would seem to suggest that in fact CaRT are even more constrained - as a charity - than were BW in removing towpath use from public benefit.

Their off-side property on the other hand, is theirs to control and charge for as they please. The employment of contractors in those instances, if one removes the outlaw use of "fines" in favour of "charges", is within their right and power.

2 hours ago, NigelMoore said:

Their off-side property on the other hand, is theirs to control and charge for as they please. The employment of contractors in those instances, if one removes the outlaw use of "fines" in favour of "charges", is within their right and power.

Very useful, as always, thanks Nigel. So the situation at Spode House on the T&M, for example, is not problematic from a legal standpoint, but that at Gailey, where the moorings are on the towpath above the lock, is.

I note that the £150 is clearly described in the notice as a charge for use of the moorings, not as a fine, and that by tying your boat up you are deemed to have entered into a contract on the specified terms. I suppose this is directly equivalent to being deemed to have entered into a parking contract when you use, say, a supermarket or service area car park, with a period of free parking followed by charges.

I have used two towpath side CRT long term mooring sites so far this summer and I plan to use a third shortly. Use of the towpath itself is not restricted at any of those sites. Although I guess using it for the original purpose may be a little difficult.

JP

Just found this PDF on CRT site

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/9095-boat-licence-terms-and-conditions-faqs.pdf

Responses to questions on amended draft boat licence Terms & Conditions

"Subcontracting enforcement to a third party
There are no plans to use a third party agency for routine enforcement purposes. However we do use 
experienced contractors when removing boats from our waterways, and occasionally use service 
agents to deliver important papers to boaters, such as court documents"

So the use of these signs appears to directly contradict the above statement in that they are using a third party for routine enforcement purposes. 

Does anyone know What  the legal status of the above replies is? 

Edited by reg