Which epoxy? Advice please

Featured Posts

Having now had a chance to look closer at the oak fins/keels, it is clear that in the past the gaps have been filled with something, which looked like some type of flexible filler (sikaflex etc.). Some of it is in good order but some has perished, I have been removing it. Pics below.

Generally it looks like the wood is close where bolted but have gained spaces elsewhere.

Current thinking is to epoxy rather than filler. Seems a few types though.

Seen Watertite which looks like it might be easier to apply.

Then West system, which has a hardener.

All opinions welcomed :)

WP_20170730_13_01_53_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20170730_13_02_54_Pro[1].jpg

I've used the West system, but we used to live just up the road from Fyne Boats who supply wooden boat kits and as a result I tried their water based epoxy which I actually prefer, though it has a longer curing time (which can be a good thing).  This is a link to it http://www.fyneboatkits.co.uk/supplies/epoxy/professional-epoxy-coating/

a rigid strong method using epoxy must be designed to ensure no movement can occur.   Your wood will swell and shrink, and it will be very difficult to design a satisfactory epoxy based method without fully encapsulating the wood skegs with a structural sheathing.  Your application seems to be a bit like a wooden keel on a sailing yacht, where the keel bolts take all the stress and no amount of epoxy or glassfibre will make it any stronger. 

traditionally a caulking would be used.  today one of the marine sealants will perform the job but there are many to choose from, depending on your joint design and the range of expected movement.  I suggest you contact Sika and get technical advice from them.