Post count

Go to solution Solved by RichM,

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Hi 

So on that previous thread I asked about post counts.

Mr @nicknorman says that total post counts are still visible. But they are not on my screen. Pic below...

Screenshot_20170729-225538.png.fdbf6351482ba40841b8b744e5b5ef86.png

I'm using Legacy theme. Is it me doing something wrong?

I think it must be because you are on a phone? The skin seems to detect the available screen size and try to cut out (what it perceives as) unnecessary stuff to save space. This is how you look to me on my iPad:

IMG_0627.PNG.d2fc65ed5e8d54cef19807fef0736fe9.PNG

49 posts, I see.

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think it must be because you are on a phone? The skin seems to detect the available screen size and try to cut out (what it perceives as) unnecessary stuff to save space. This is how you look to me on my iPad:

IMG_0627.PNG.d2fc65ed5e8d54cef19807fef0736fe9.PNG

49 posts, I see.

Nick is correct and looking at the screenshot from your phone, I cannot see where it can be added really without cluttering it up somewhat. Also, if we were to do that, what about "location"? It is arguably of no lesser importance than post counts but certainly if we were to add them both on mobile devices it would somewhat cluttered.

In all honesty post count isn't necessarily a great indicator of experience. Some users have few posts but have vast amount of experience. Arguably the reputation (which is visible on phones) carries more weight to it than post counts. In any case, if you wish to find out more about a given user you may click their name whereby you will see their profile. This will give you more information on that particular user, including post counts & join dates.

RichM

Why does the 'post count' matter ?

A high post count means nothing apart from having a lot of spare time (and no real friends) - it cannot be used as an indicator of knowledge as those actually 'doing it' are not sat being key-board warriors.

There is an old saying "empty vessels make the most noise" and that often applies to people as well.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Why does the 'post count' matter ?

A high post count means nothing apart from having a lot of spare time (and no real friends) - it cannot be used as an indicator of knowledge as those actually 'doing it' are not sat being key-board warriors.

There is an old saying "empty vessels make the most noise" and that often applies to people as well.

I think it can matter. Obviously not to compare your post count with mine - both indicating that we have too much spare time and no real friends - but if a poster has a very low or near zero post count, it sometimes gives a clue as to how to respond.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think it can matter. Obviously not to compare your post count with mine - both indicating that we have too much spare time and no real friends - but if a poster has a very low or near zero post count, it sometimes gives a clue as to how to respond.

Or - they could be the worlds leading expert on the subject and have only just joined the forum, (or joined 'years ago' and have just decided to respond to some 'ridiculous' comment on their area of expertise)

I would rather take content quality over quantity as a guide to  experience - if, as with some, they are 'male-bovine-excrement' it soon becomes apparent when they make a simple, stupid mistake.

• Greenie 1

I rather like the total post number. As an example of why, whilst high number doesn't necessarily predicate a wise answer or vice versa, but a low number might suggest the poster of a seemingly daft question could be cut a bit of slack. This forum is rather tolerant of that compared to others where the first response is invariably "do a search you (expletive deleted)!!!!"

Anyway, the software is like the weather at the moment - if you don't like what you have right now, something else will be along shortly. ;)

I think like RichM said, reputation is more a tell of the (popular) experienced members. But without the post counts it can be a bit meaningless.

I like to see the ratio of posts to reputation and this can help decide who the members are that the community trust.

I just hope it can be returned to the mobile screen, it was here two days ago and there was no one complaining that the screen was cluttered (I think). The large areas of white space where the bigger problem if I remember...

Thanks again 

Edited by Canal321

• Solution

Thanks for the feedback. After giving it some thought, it would require a CSS/design change to be made to both themes. Plus, given it would be a custom change, it would need to be re-done every time a theme update is applied, so potentially three or more times a year. Bearing in mind my background involves working as a hosting engineer rather than a web designer, it's not my area of expertise. Also, when considering that post counts are clearly visible on profiles on mobile devices (screenshot below) I personally don't feel the amount of work required to maintain such a small change is justified on my part. I will feedback to Invision but I doubt they will implement it. Sorry.

IMG_0159.PNG