90 members have voted

1. 1. Reactions - What do you think?

• I like it, I think it allows people to better express their reactions
    • I like it but it would be better to remove the negative options
    • I don't like the extra options. Please change it back to how it was
    • I have no opinion on the matter
    • I wish to abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/17 at 21:55

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok UPDATE:

I awarded Froggy three different emojies, cancelling each in order to award the next, and his reputation rose by one for each positive emojie, just like getting a greenie. The negative emojies made no change to his reputation.

Greenie awarded for being the subject of my experiment, and his 'noticfications' tab probably filling up! 

Well geenie gratefully accepted Mike, my wallet is near empty and I'm already a third of the way through the single malt I got for my birthday. :)

It was a useful experiment actually, because maybe the neutral emojis are acceptable if they don't affect rep, although in the absence of negative emojis some people might award the neutral ones as a form of disapproval.

I'd have awarded you a greenie for the experiment, but they don't seem to work on the mobile site, at least on my Windows phone, Admin please note.

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

Please note the poll will close tomorrow evening. (06/08/17 at 22:55)

Unless we see a significant change in the poll results in the next 24hrs, the reactions feature will remain as is. 

In spite of the main column being for please put it back to what it was? The combined total of 2 which are in favour (basically) is only 0.01% greater.

8 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In spite of the main column being for please put it back to what it was? The combined total of 2 which are in favour (basically) is only 0.01% greater.

Yes but we also factor in those who have no opinion on the matter and therefore don't care if we do as proposed. The only votes which are ignored are those who have abstained. If anyone wishes to change their vote, they may do so providing they make their intention clear before the poll closes.

In hindsight it may have been better to keep it as a simpler Yes/No/Abstain poll which was pretty much how this started off as but it was changed quickly due to feedback received. 

4 minutes ago, RichM said:

Yes but also have to factor in those who have no opinion on the matter and therefore don't care if we do as proposed. The only votes which are ignored are those who have abstained. 

For that to make a difference IMO you have to be counting them as pro rather than neutral.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

For that to make a difference IMO you have to be counting them as pro rather than neutral.

I have sent out a bulk email to all users who have logged in within the last 3 months (reluctantly given the trivial nature) to try and get more decisive poll result one way or the other. In response to your point though, I would argue that it should count or at least have some weighting if the poll results are otherwise equal. It's not as though we're able to form a coalition on the matter!

RichM

1 hour ago, RichM said:

I have sent out a bulk email to all users who have logged in within the last 3 months (reluctantly given the trivial nature) to try and get more decisive poll result one way or the other. In response to your point though, I would argue that it should count or at least have some weighting if the poll results are otherwise equal. It's not as though we're able to form a coalition on the matter!

RichM

And thank you for the email, as I would of missed it otherwise.

Edited by thebfg

On 8/5/2017 at 23:13, RichM said:

RichM

No email arrived here. And yes I checked my spam bin.

What time did you send it?

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No email arrived here. And yes I checked my spam bin.

What time did you send it?

Just as well you've already voted then. :) The email was sent at around 23:00 yesterday though it's worth noting that a lot of mail providers reject bulk emails, Microsoft being one of them. Also, if people had opted out receiving newsletters/bulk notifications from us, they wouldn't have received it. In all fairness though, we did have a big green notice at the top of the site for the best part of a week. (unless dismissed)

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

Just as well you've already voted then. :) The email was sent at around 23:00 yesterday though it's worth noting that a lot of mail providers reject bulk emails, Microsoft being one of them. And in all fairness, we did have a notice at the top of the site for the best part of a week. (unless dismissed)

Missing the point by a country mile Rich.

If I didn't get it, did anyone else? And obviously NO-ONE uses Microsoft for email.

Or do they?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Missing the point by a country mile Rich.

If I didn't get it, did anyone else? And obviously NO-ONE uses Microsoft for email.

Or do they?

It's late and I still don't get it if that's not what you meant. We sent out emails to everyone who has logged in within the past 3 months providing they hadn't opted out. Whether or not they received it is not something we have control over as there's many factors that can influence this. 

Don't know if you're being sarcastic but millions of people worldwide use Microsoft for email in the guise of Office 365, Hotmail, Live, Outlook.com etc etc. I noticed lots of rejections from them when checking the mail server logs. However, many other email providers did accept and deliver the emails to the respective recpients as evidenced in the mail server logs which I checked hours after sending the email.

Anyway, moving on...

RichM

I didn't receive it either. I vaguely remember something about reconfiguring the mail system so not only does it not send out mass emails, but the "component" which would do the mass sending out if it were enabled, was crippled in a very permanent way, such that if ever the site were hacked again and spammers tried to piggyback onto the mail system, their spam emails would get precisely nowhere. But it was a while ago so I don't remember any of the details - it might have been the Indians at the last hosting company which did something only they know how to, to disable it.

24 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I didn't receive it either. I vaguely remember something about reconfiguring the mail system so not only does it not send out mass emails, but the "component" which would do the mass sending out if it were enabled, was crippled in a very permanent way, such that if ever the site were hacked again and spammers tried to piggyback onto the mail system, their spam emails would get precisely nowhere. But it was a while ago so I don't remember any of the details - it might have been the Indians at the last hosting company which did something only they know how to, to disable it.

I suspect it was rejected by the recipient mail server though I will dig up the logs tomorrow.

SMTP relaying did not work on the old server, maybe that's what you're referring to? It does work on the new server but I created a SPF DNS record to prevent misuse/spoofing and emails can only be sent providing they're authenticated. Emails cannot be sent out via PHP as "nobody" 

One of the next projects I'm looking to do is to offload email to another server or rather a cluster of servers provided by a mail provider as to prevent any blacklisting issues and to provide a better email system for staff. Assuming that goes ahead, I will disable exim on the server as we won't be needing it. 

Cheers

RichM

I received it ok. Even on this old machine, Vista, firefox, Gmail.  Even though Vista has had no update support for more than a year now and firefox don't support Vista anymore either. The old machine is getting quite glitchy now though. I keep doing fixes and maintenance to keep it running, its still much faster than my W10 machine.

Given the number of people who said they didn't receive the email vs those who did, I'd say "mailshots" are probably not worth the hassle of doing. You'd not be able to send it to those who opt-out either, for example. Then there's no guarantee it would be received, noticed, read, or understood! The forum itself can provide announements or important info.