90 members have voted

1. 1. Reactions - What do you think?

• I like it, I think it allows people to better express their reactions
    • I like it but it would be better to remove the negative options
    • I don't like the extra options. Please change it back to how it was
    • I have no opinion on the matter
    • I wish to abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/08/17 at 21:55

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see no reason for there to be a limit on greenies at all. Can anyone explain why there is a limit?

Another forum I used to frequent had no limit. It worked very well.

Do you remember that you could award yourself greenies?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

36 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There already is one. Offhand I can't remember how many, five is in my mind

Richard

I've never managed to get past one greenie per day.  I haven't tried to give more than one for a couple of years though - it may have changed, or perhaps it was because of some other factor (e.g. I hadn't posted enough, or hadn't received enough greenies myself).

So, we have 5 little graphic faces (emoticons, I think they're called) and a love heart, or the "old" greenie? I prefer to express myself using the traditional way of typing in something, using the English language. I reckon they're a gimmick gone to far, and one which nibbles away at finite resources (such as memory heap and CPU time, etc) and they won't last the test of time. Would be interested to know if they can be, and indeed how much of the version 4 crap, can be turned off.

15 hours ago, dor said:

I suspect many of us are here because we don't use Facebook.  And have no intention of doing so.  So why try and emulate it? If that sort of interface is that popular, we might as well give up and just join in with Facebook.

Since these "reactions" came in I've thought about this and I don't entirely agree

Facebook works rather differently, even with my very public settings you can't see what I've posted unless you are my "friend" - on here you will see it unless you've blocked me. 

This means that on Facebook I interact with people I know - here I interact with everyone: the driver is much more what has been said rather than who said it, it also means we have all seen, or had the chance to see, all the discussions. 

Facebook is much more personal, which curiously makes this a much better place to have a discussion. 

I've also noticed significant offence being given on Facebook, I know it happens here but again because it's an open forum we seem to manage it better, whereas Facebook's settings mean that my friends who don't know each other see things on my "timeline" and one of them sets off - that can be much messier than here because people seem to take it much more personally. 

On reactions, it probably wouldn't worry me if there were no reaction buttons at all, not even greenies but other people like them, and that's fine

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Point of order. Offence is never given. It can only be taken.

Gramatically you are correct! 

I think what I mean is that one person might swear profusely, or at the opposite end of the spectrum bring god into the equation, either not knowing or not caring that the person they are responding to doesn't react well to this. My fault for having diverse friends...

5 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Gramatically you are correct! 

Orthographically, you may not be!

Where did you and/ or NN get the idea that offence cannot be given? Of course it can.

10 hours ago, john6767 said:

Can you change mine as well.

Please confirm what you'd like it changed to and I will amend it for you. You may PM me if you prefer.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

So, we have 5 little graphic faces (emoticons, I think they're called) and a love heart, or the "old" greenie? I prefer to express myself using the traditional way of typing in something, using the English language. I reckon they're a gimmick gone to far, and one which nibbles away at finite resources (such as memory heap and CPU time, etc) and they won't last the test of time. Would be interested to know if they can be, and indeed how much of the version 4 crap, can be turned off.

I get your point though the primary server we use now is significantly more powerful than what it was a year ago and we always have one other on standby. We also offload a lot of content (all attachments - but no personal user data) to AWS to reduce the load on the server and to accommodate the ever increasing number of attachments without imposing user limits. (given the cost of local SSD storage) If anything, since the update to 4.2 the load on the server has decreased a little though it's early days. To improve performance even further (page load times to be specific), we will likely change from Apache to nginx pending Dan's signoff and this has no financial implications to the site. 

serverperformance.png

serverload.png

In any case, the whole point in the poll is to allow members to have the final decision though at the time of writing, there's a split in opinion but hopefully we will see a more decisive result in the coming days.

Cheers

RichM

50 minutes ago, Athy said:

Where did you and/ or NN get the idea that offence cannot be given? Of course it can.

No, it cannot be given. You can try to offend me, I will decide whether I am offended or not. You can try not to offend me. I will decide whether I am offended or not. Offence is only in the eye of the recipient. You can say something on here, half the people may take offence, the other half may not. You have no control over that. Giving offence is simply not within your gift. Get over it!

• Greenie 1

I really don't understand what all the fuss is about regarding adding a few emoticons (for lack of a better term).  For those members who wish not to use them, they aren't being forced to are they?

For those members who use facebook and other social media sites that use such things they will take to using them quite easily, and it's really not rocket science to figure them out.  Even I was able to figure it out within a few seconds!

There have been loads of times in the past when a post really made me chuckle and my only opition was to give them a greenie...now I can give them a "haha" and then there are the occassions where I think a "not impressed" or "sad" would be appropriate

I do agree that negative "emoticons" should not take away from the members rep points, which I believe has already been corrected.

I appreciate the forum needs to keep up with the times, as we all do in other areas of our lives; I loved frayed bell bottoms and tank tops back in the late 70's, but sadly it was a fad that didn't survive the test of time...point being I see nothing wrong with the newest changes.  Good work Rich & the support team members

I meant client-side resources - a lot of the time, I'm running other software which I don't want to close, and Firefox gets slower and slower. I know its only a portion, but this forum is one of the slowest to load/render, having animated graphics where none are needed can't help.

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

No, it cannot be given. You can try to offend me, I will decide whether I am offended or not. You can try not to offend me. I will decide whether I am offended or not. Offence is only in the eye of the recipient. You can say something on here, half the people may take offence, the other half may not. You have no control over that. Giving offence is simply not within your gift. Get over it!

Very good. Not correct, but good nonetheless.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Very good. Not correct, but good nonetheless.

Hmmm, I think I've already explained that disagreeing with a post without offering an alternative doesn't achieve much. Since you seem reluctant to offer a counter argument, I'll take it as a submission and add a notch to my arguments debating belt!:giggles:

• Horror 1

On 30/07/2017 at 17:10, Athy said:

I don't think one can 'give' offence. One can certainly cause offence though.

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think one can 'give' offence. One can certainly cause offence though.

One can provide the material with which someone else can choose to be offended. But you can't cause it at will. I challenge you to cause me offence. You can try to do it by PM if you fear the ban hammer!

Edited by nicknorman

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

One can provide the material with which someone else can choose to be offended. But you can't cause it at will. I challenge you to cause me offence. You can try to do it by PM if you fear the ban hammer!

Your mother was a Hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see no reason for there to be a limit on greenies at all. Can anyone explain why there is a limit?

Another forum I used to frequent had no limit. It worked very well.

To my knowledge there has always been a limit or at least during my time here. It was previously set at 6 per 24 hours and was raised to 10 some time ago IIRC. 

If set at no limit, it could be abused to inflate ones reputation. For example, it would be technically possible to register a second account and then go through all of your posts to inflate the reputation count significantly. (granted, in your case it would take some years but that's not the point) Equally it would be possible for two or more friends to inflate each other's reputation in the same way in order to gain points in a way which many may consider to be unfair. Either case could be considered to be misuse of the feature and while having a limit does not stop misuse, it will no doubt prevent it by encouraging people to use the the feature wisely though I appreciate there's currently no guidelines for its use unless I am mistaken. Also, I am not suggesting anyone would misuse it and one would need to be fairly determined to do this but it seems logical to me.

I think it's fair to say some people take reputation more seriously than others but personally I don't see any harm in having reasonable limits in place to keep things in check. If you consider the limit to be inadequate then I'm sure it could be reconsidered.

RichM

On 30/07/2017 at 19:57, nicknorman said:

My elder daughter, aged about 5 and incandescent with rage at me telling her off over something trivial, called me a POOBUMWEEHEAD and ran away to hide in the garden! 

Nick Norman is a POOBUMWEEHEAD. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My elder daughter, aged about 5 and incandescent with rage at me telling her off over something trivial, called me a POOBUMWEEHEAD and ran away to hide in the garden! 

Nick Norman is a POOBUMWEEHEAD. 

Nope, I choose not to be offended. Especially as I don't even know what it means!