Where can I get electrical plugs like these?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

On 30 July 2017 at 10:45, David Schweizer said:

I suppose some people might have used them for 240v AC

Good Lord, no, I wasn't suggesting wander plugs were suitable for 240V, I just reminiscing about the sorts of things that were in a workshop long, long ago!

might be worth looking on the 'proper' Farnell site - there are literally hundreds of banana type plugs some are stated as a nominal 2mm rather than 4mm so might be what the old folks (like me) knew as 'wander' plugs

http://uk.farnell.com/c/test-measurement/test-connectors-ic-clips/banana-plugs-jacks

but for 12v model railway use chewing gum and toothpaste caps might be fine... :-)

Or might be worth changing out the sockets (on the controller) for 4mm ones - loads available and dirt cheap 

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

might be worth looking on the 'proper' Farnell site...

That was the first place I went looking. They list the type David showed with a note 'no longer manufactured'. I failed to find any 3mm plugs. 

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

That was the first place I went looking. They list the type David showed with a note 'no longer manufactured'. I failed to find any 3mm plugs. 

Likewise, and despite several people claiming that they are available, no one has posted a link to anyone who sells them, and all those that I have found described as 3mm, are identifying the cable size , not the plug size.

On 29/07/2017 at 12:55, David Schweizer said:

I am trying to source some plugs like the ones in the picture below. I need them to fit in an Electronic Model Railway Controller I had built more than thirty years ago, when these plugs were commonplace. I have tried ebay and tried googling images without any success, I am not even sure what they are officially called, although I have aways known them as "split pin plugs"

I have already tried established suppliers like tried Maplins without any success, but any other suggestions would be most welcome, or maybe you have a few in an old tin that you would be willing to sell.

Plug.JPG.a77e7336e6bf56d98ae52bdaabf2c0fd.JPG

This shop has a few in stock, ask for wander plugs.    https://www.shoplincoln.co.uk/j-birkett

Edited by Flyboy

6 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Likewise, and despite several people claiming that they are available, no one has posted a link to anyone who sells them, and all those that I have found described as 3mm, are identifying the cable size , not the plug size.

I think you're right, sorry about that :(

From the description these look like they would fit a 3mm socket -  they may also be suitable for cable with up to 3mm O.D. as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pair-Nickel-Plated-Copper-3mm-Banana-Male-Plug-Test-DIY-Solder-Connector-R-B-UK-/282322402237?epid=924832687&hash=item41bbb9fbbd:g:utwAAOSwHMJYDyfL

Edited by Nickhlx

9 hours ago, Nickhlx said:

From the description these look like they would fit a 3mm socket -  they may also be suitable for cable with up to 3mm O.D. as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pair-Nickel-Plated-Copper-3mm-Banana-Male-Plug-Test-DIY-Solder-Connector-R-B-UK-/282322402237?epid=924832687&hash=item41bbb9fbbd:g:utwAAOSwHMJYDyfL

They look identical to all the other Chinese banana plugs being sold on ebay as 3mm - but ,,, see my earlier post:-

17 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Edited by David Schweizer

10 hours ago, Flyboy said:

This may be of interest as phono plugs are common.      http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=303

That looks ibnteresting, I have loads of phono plugs, which seem to come in abundance with every device one purchases. I could play with one of those to see if it works.. The only thing is that they always seem to have the cable moulded into the plug, which will require an external connection to the equipment wire but it is worth a try. (or shell out for some new bare plugs and wire them myself).

11 hours ago, Nickhlx said:

I contacted the vendor and they confirm the plugs suit a 3mm socket/hole and accepts cable up to 2mm

Edited by Nickhlx

10 minutes ago, Nickhlx said:

I contacted the vendor and they confirm the plugs suit a 3mm socket/hole and accepts cable up to 2mm

OK, thanks for that. If I cannot get any "traditional" wander plugs, I may try a couple of those.

15 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

OK, thanks for that. If I cannot get any "traditional" wander plugs, I may try a couple of those.

I've just found 5 new  black wander plugs in my workshop. If you want them I could send them to you if you PM your address.