Watch Out Watch Out There's a Grumpy Triker About...!

Featured Posts

YOU CAN BREATHE NOW!! & so can I....am about to be water bound!!....so get those fenders out.

Following all the expected last minute excitement I am finally the proud new owner of my very own Narrowboat! :captain:   :huh:

it is currently out of the water for some work, including blacking and due to work I am unable to get aboard until mid-August but routes being planned for the first journey.

Now!!.......

I know the traditionalists will consider me amoeba amongst the nb owners club but I'm happy -

1) It is a cruiser stern....35% gone

2) It is an ex-hire boat ...another 40% gone

3) It has pump-out toilets..... 20% more gone .....the other 5% are probably just like me :D 

Unlike my earlier experience the sales support at Sanley Bridge were and still are providing fantastic support!....can't thank Andy and the team enough, and the hire company have been very helpful.

Can't wait to get on board and last week of August I'll have my 3 kiddies on board for a holiday together....so get the rain gear out, as it is bound to rain.

Look forward to meeting some of you on the cut, and hope you don't get fed up of my questions....I will research first ;)   :cheers:

Will be back a bit later...got to go Fender and rope hunting for real now.....no window shopping any more?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Congratulations ;

There are plenty of very good ex hire boats out there. They all tend to have cruiser sterns and pump out loos both plusses in my book.

A big plus is they are  uncomplicated .... unlike some of the boats being built today. :captain:

Enjoy

Cheers all :cheers:

Sorry that is Swanley Bridge Marina, Nantwich

First week my Dad is coming aboard and travelling down towards Gloucester

...anyone know the name of the floating rope fender makers who travel the Nantwich bit of the world?

...best stuff to sterilise the water tank....just usual Miltons(?)

...any rules on what and what not to use in pump outs, plus any best to use.

Right, off out for an hour or two and then online, watching cricket and online shopping search continues  :)

Edited by The Grumpy Triker
Missed word

Congratulations :)

water tank - a teaspoon or two of thin bleach. If it tastes then you've used too much!

In the black water tank the general consensus seems to be either nothing or cheap biological washing tabs. 

41 minutes ago, WotEver said:

... twice ;)

Cheers Wotz :cheers: :)

oh 58' 42bhp Isuzu

cracked prop being replaced and some need of work around the wear edge but agreement reached and all being sorted. Need to install a stove but then loads of opportunity to make it mine whilst in fully functioning order.

23 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers Wotz :cheers: :)

oh 58' 42bhp Isuzu

cracked prop being replaced and some need of work around the wear edge but agreement reached and all being sorted. Need to install a stove but then loads of opportunity to make it mine whilst in fully functioning order.

Long enough as a first boat you will soon find it too short but its a good starter. An excellent engine. The best stern and as others said x hire boats are great usualy. Yes a SOLID fuel stove is an absolute must and a great idea, you can always remove the silly bog when you get time but can live with it for now. See you on the cut :cheers:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Long enough as a first boat you will soon find it too short but its a good starter. An excellent engine. The best stern and as others said x hire boats are great usualy. Yes a SOLID fuel stove is an absolute must and a great idea, you can always remove the silly bog when you get time but can live with it for now. See you on the cut :cheers:

Great advice as usual, except for the loo - cheers smellz;) 

Can't wait now! Will catch up nearer the time to find out where people are as will take a detour if necessary to buy you and others a beer/wine in thanks :cheers:

On 29/07/2017 at 11:38, WotEver said:

Yup, the balance should preferably be somewhere between the two. 

Yes, GT can invite lots of guests then experiment on them until he arrives at just the right concentration. He can stack up the bodies (of the mistakes) on the cruiser deck, should be plenty of room...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

27 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Fantastic great news welcome afloat and all that :clapping:

Yes to the stove, aquatabs for the tank and Odorloss for the pump out (good choice ;))

Tak! Tak!   look forward to a schapps and beers. :cheers:

God help the rest of you.......and any God will do ;) :D

4 hours ago, croftie said:

Great news, enjoy the boat. Personally I use Aquatabs

Do you add them with every fill?

When we bought DQ three years ago, the surveyor  (Craig Allen) said, "don't put anything in the pump out toilet, and it will not smell".

Did as he said and it didn'the smell. After a year, I was worrying that if the red "toilet full" light failed it could be catastrophic,  so I decided to fit an MCL waste tank gauge (belts and braces). This involved cutting a hole in the stainless steel holding tank. 

I did this with great trepidation,  but much to my surprise, there was no smell. As an added bonus, I found the "toilet full light came on at just over 50% full, so I have effectively halved my pump out costs, and the gauge has easily paid for itself. 

So, don't put anything (blue, odourless, biological washing powder,  bleach etc) down the toilet and it will not smell. Might take two or three pumpouts to get rid of any previous blue etc, but worth it in the long run.