Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Naughty Cal

A Thames Invasion for 2018

Featured Posts

On 24/10/2017 at 09:42, Naughty Cal said:

There is no group anymore!

Naughty cal we have seen a fair bit of antisocial behaviour on that bank by the swimming pool with the local roofs ,esp after dark when the break in to go swimming and drive the wardens buggy around at stupid speed ...just a heads up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JV44 said:

Naughty cal we have seen a fair bit of antisocial behaviour on that bank by the swimming pool with the local roofs ,esp after dark when the break in to go swimming and drive the wardens buggy around at stupid speed ...just a heads up

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming down from Oxford I would also recommend Beale park for a nice overnight mooring.

At reading the Tesco's mooring is good below Caversham lock, I also think all your boats would get up through blakes lock on the Kennet and if the Loop is not too silted up there are moorings round by the Prison. Smaller boat might like to take the short trip up to the next lock on the Kennet through the oracle (not recommended if the Kennet is running). There are also bank moorings below the Kennet but depth might be an issue.

The next big mooring area would be Henley

At Weybridge there are mooring just below the lock where the Wey joins, spent a couple of nights there with a 70' dutch barge.

Hampton court has a few moorings but getting these in the Summer might be difficult

Kingston has good moorings, or you could push on to Teddington Lock, lots there

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

Coming down from Oxford I would also recommend Beale park for a nice overnight mooring.

At reading the Tesco's mooring is good below Caversham lock, I also think all your boats would get up through blakes lock on the Kennet and if the Loop is not too silted up there are moorings round by the Prison. Smaller boat might like to take the short trip up to the next lock on the Kennet through the oracle (not recommended if the Kennet is running). There are also bank moorings below the Kennet but depth might be an issue.

The next big mooring area would be Henley

At Weybridge there are mooring just below the lock where the Wey joins, spent a couple of nights there with a 70' dutch barge.

Hampton court has a few moorings but getting these in the Summer might be difficult

Kingston has good moorings, or you could push on to Teddington Lock, lots there

 

 

Thanks for the suggestions.

At present it looks like there will be just us going with NC and possibly another boat the same so no worries about the bigger boats anymore. :D

Someone else has suggested going up onto the Kennet and through the Oracle so we might give that a go if we get the chance.

ETA: Just had a quick look on Google Earth and it looks quite nice. Where are the nearest moorings to the Oracle? It looks like the sort of place we might like to spend an afternoon or evening.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round the back side of the loop above Blakes Lock are the closest moorings, quite a few narrow boats wintering there at the moment. I think the Bel & Dragon may have it's own moorings as well.

Going up to the second lock keep an eye on the first road bridge after the lights (this section is one way upto the second lock), if the Kennet is running this is the one to watch coming back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

At present it looks like there will be just us going with NC and possibly another boat the same so no worries about the bigger boats anymore. :D

Someone else has suggested going up onto the Kennet and through the Oracle so we might give that a go if we get the chance.

ETA: Just had a quick look on Google Earth and it looks quite nice. Where are the nearest moorings to the Oracle? It looks like the sort of place we might like to spend an afternoon or evening.

Outside Queens Road car park unless the CMers have got it stopped in the last year or so. Its about 100 yards below the Oracle. We have stayed there overnight on more than one occasion and have left the boat unattended for a hour or so more than once. Its closer that the prison loop. As long as you do not mind a bit of a walk the moorings outside the Bel & Dragon at the downstream end of the loop would be a little more secure. They are free if you dine there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×