A Thames Invasion for 2018

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

On 24/10/2017 at 09:42, Naughty Cal said:

There is no group anymore!

Naughty cal we have seen a fair bit of antisocial behaviour on that bank by the swimming pool with the local roofs ,esp after dark when the break in to go swimming and drive the wardens buggy around at stupid speed ...just a heads up

1 minute ago, JV44 said:

Naughty cal we have seen a fair bit of antisocial behaviour on that bank by the swimming pool with the local roofs ,esp after dark when the break in to go swimming and drive the wardens buggy around at stupid speed ...just a heads up

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming down from Oxford I would also recommend Beale park for a nice overnight mooring.

At reading the Tesco's mooring is good below Caversham lock, I also think all your boats would get up through blakes lock on the Kennet and if the Loop is not too silted up there are moorings round by the Prison. Smaller boat might like to take the short trip up to the next lock on the Kennet through the oracle (not recommended if the Kennet is running). There are also bank moorings below the Kennet but depth might be an issue.

The next big mooring area would be Henley

At Weybridge there are mooring just below the lock where the Wey joins, spent a couple of nights there with a 70' dutch barge.

Hampton court has a few moorings but getting these in the Summer might be difficult

Kingston has good moorings, or you could push on to Teddington Lock, lots there

14 hours ago, markgregoryuk2000 said:

Coming down from Oxford I would also recommend Beale park for a nice overnight mooring.

At reading the Tesco's mooring is good below Caversham lock, I also think all your boats would get up through blakes lock on the Kennet and if the Loop is not too silted up there are moorings round by the Prison. Smaller boat might like to take the short trip up to the next lock on the Kennet through the oracle (not recommended if the Kennet is running). There are also bank moorings below the Kennet but depth might be an issue.

The next big mooring area would be Henley

At Weybridge there are mooring just below the lock where the Wey joins, spent a couple of nights there with a 70' dutch barge.

Hampton court has a few moorings but getting these in the Summer might be difficult

Kingston has good moorings, or you could push on to Teddington Lock, lots there

Thanks for the suggestions.

At present it looks like there will be just us going with NC and possibly another boat the same so no worries about the bigger boats anymore. :D

Someone else has suggested going up onto the Kennet and through the Oracle so we might give that a go if we get the chance.

ETA: Just had a quick look on Google Earth and it looks quite nice. Where are the nearest moorings to the Oracle? It looks like the sort of place we might like to spend an afternoon or evening.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Round the back side of the loop above Blakes Lock are the closest moorings, quite a few narrow boats wintering there at the moment. I think the Bel & Dragon may have it's own moorings as well.

Going up to the second lock keep an eye on the first road bridge after the lights (this section is one way upto the second lock), if the Kennet is running this is the one to watch coming back down.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

At present it looks like there will be just us going with NC and possibly another boat the same so no worries about the bigger boats anymore. :D

Someone else has suggested going up onto the Kennet and through the Oracle so we might give that a go if we get the chance.

ETA: Just had a quick look on Google Earth and it looks quite nice. Where are the nearest moorings to the Oracle? It looks like the sort of place we might like to spend an afternoon or evening.

Outside Queens Road car park unless the CMers have got it stopped in the last year or so. Its about 100 yards below the Oracle. We have stayed there overnight on more than one occasion and have left the boat unattended for a hour or so more than once. Its closer that the prison loop. As long as you do not mind a bit of a walk the moorings outside the Bel & Dragon at the downstream end of the loop would be a little more secure. They are free if you dine there.

• 3 months later...

We have decided to postpone this trip for a year to give Sydney some time to settle into life with us and Naughty-Cal. So have decided that with the two weeks we have booked off work we will have a potter around on our local waterways instead. Which will actually make a change for us as we have not done this for a long while now.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have decided to postpone this trip for a year to give Sydney some time to settle into life with us and Naughty-Cal. So have decided that with the two weeks we have booked off work we will have a potter around on our local waterways instead. Which will actually make a change for us as we have not done this for a long while now.

I'm sure you'll be missed on the Thames. I'll alert the 'residents'

Edit: Belay that - I see you already have  - with a photo as well!

Edited by OldGoat

8 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm sure he will quickly adapt to boating.

All of my dogs except the first rescue dog have loved it from the start, even though we were hiring and later had a shareboat, so fairly infrequent exposure to boats.

The first rescue dog didn't like it when the engine was running, so we spent the first day moored, starting and stopping the engine and letting it run for increasingly long times. By the second day the engine didn't bother her.

She also didn't like fishermen and would bark and growl at them , I think she thought they were going to beat her with their roach poles. Never did cure her of that in the 12 years we do her.

Current dog Zeus loves boats and from the first day couldn't wait to get on it as soon as a door was opened.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

I'm sure he will quickly adapt to boating.

All of my dogs except the first rescue dog have loved it from the start, even though we were hiring and later had a shareboat, so fairly infrequent exposure to boats.

The first rescue dog didn't like it when the engine was running, so we spent the first day moored, starting and stopping the engine and letting it run for increasingly long times. By the second day the engine didn't bother her.

She also didn't like fishermen and would bark and growl at them , I think she thought they were going to beat her with their roach poles. Never did cure her of that in the 12 years we do her.

Current dog Zeus loves boats and from the first day couldn't wait to get on it as soon as a door was opened.

We did take him for a small ride on the boat on Sunday and he was fine with it.

On 19/04/2018 at 14:48, Naughty Cal said:

We will definitely go next summer when the mutt has settled in properly. 

what dog have you got out of interest? we have a young Shepherd pup ourselves so a gentle first holiday up the Kennet is called for until she knows what is expected of her

3 hours ago, JV44 said:

what dog have you got out of interest? we have a young Shepherd pup ourselves so a gentle first holiday up the Kennet is called for until she knows what is expected of her

We have a Sydney.

20180420_201237.jpg

Not entirely sure what he is but the vet reckons probably poodle and Jack Russell so what is now referred to as a Jackapoo. 

Only picked him up on Monday evening but he is settling into home and work life very quickly.