"Barge falls off trailer"

John Foster

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's a 26 foot Sea Otter, the same design as our gamebird. What you can see of the trailer, it doesn't look very substantial

Haggis

Apparently it's called Lazy Otter - do you know the owners?

Just now, Neil2 said:

Apparently it's called Lazy Otter - do you know the owners?

Yes, we met the owners last year at the Sea Otter gathering at tamworth where they moor.  Hope they are OK

haggis

When we are towing gamebird, she is always very well strapped down after the fisrt time my brother followed us and told us just how much she was bouncing. 

haggis

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

Yes, we met the owners last year at the Sea Otter gathering at tamworth where they moor.  Hope they are OK

haggis

Yes it must have been quite a shock.  Looking at the pictures I suspect it's that section at the foot of Daviot where you can get a strong side wind, though it isn't particularly windy today.

9 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

that's a very short boat B)

I'd be guessing 20 foot

I'd also guess that including the trailer it was way over the 3.5 tonne that the landcruiser pictured can legally tow in this country

edit...

just seen sea otter comment so it may be borderline on the weight

Edited by Jess--

Picture taken from the duplicate thread...

Is that really an adequate towing vehicle for a boat of that weight?

550560-lazy-otter-canal-boat-lying-in-mi

Taken from the duplicate thread...

Edited by alan_fincher

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Picture taken from the duplicate thread...

Is that really an adequate towing vehicle for a boat of that weight?

Driven sensibly... Yes

the landcruiser is capable of towing far more than the legal uk weight limit safely, however this relies on decent braking systems on the trailer and reduced maximum speed

edit to add... the vehicle is a toyota land cruiser amazon (or LC100) and will weigh almost 2500 kg on its own

Edited by Jess--

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Duplicate pictures from the duplicate thread!

Yup, I have no idea why - I just pasted one URL into the post....

11 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

Driven sensibly... Yes

the landcruiser is capable of towing far more than the legal uk weight limit safely, however this relies on decent braking systems on the trailer and reduced maximum speed

edit to add... the vehicle is a toyota land cruiser amazon (or LC100) and will weigh almost 2500 kg on its own

I suppose I meant is it legal, rather than is it possible!

I've only just noticed it happened on Wednesday, which makes more sense, it was a blustery day up here and I reckon the trailer caught a gust of wind side on.  I've seen caravans on their side along this stretch of road but what's alarming about this incident is how the boat seems to have been thrown clear of the trailer.    

My first thought was for Haggis and Gamebird.   Here's hoping the owners can get Lazy Otter sorted quickly and easily.

Road transport was always our worry the few times Grebe was trailed.

We bought Grebe direct from Sea Otter in 1999.  At the time of purchase 26ft was the longest boat they made.  The dry weight of the 26ft boat was 2.5 tons and the trailer 1.0 ton.  at the time Sea Otter delivered them with a LR Discovery and a bespoke two-axled trailer, the 'plated' towing capacity of the standard Discovery was 3.5 tons.   During Grebe's build they introduced the 31ft design, indeed they offered us the first one.  To enable the heavier boat to be trailed Sea Otter had the braking system on the Discovery upgraded to include a hydraulic supply the trailer, as opposed to standard over-run brakes, the vehicle was then replated for a higher towing limit.  A new bespoke three-axle trailer with power braking was also purchased.  They later swapped the Dicovery for a Toyota Land Cruiser as the prime mover.

I'm pretty certain that Lazy Otter is 31ft long so I would reckon about 3.0 tons.  That trailer looks a bit flimsy to me.  I'd be interested in the securing arrangements.

no trailer is safe to tow if the weight distribution is wrong, regardless of the towing vehicle and compliance with the weight restrictions.  I found my boat trailer had a tendency to fishtail on the motorway at 55mph if disturbed by a passing truck, although the nose weight on the towing ball was well adequate.  I cured it by removing all the moveable weight from the back of the boat to the back of the car (outboard, anchor, fuel and water containers).  

2 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I'd be guessing 20 foot

I'd also guess that including the trailer it was way over the 3.5 tonne that the landcruiser pictured can legally tow in this country

edit...

just seen sea otter comment so it may be borderline on the weight

it's only about 15ft long in that picture.  :unsure:

Edited by Murflynn