Planned Maintenance 28/7/17

MtB
Notice added by staff member RichM

We value the feedback and opinions of our members and kindly request this topic to be used for providing us with constructive feedback.

Thank you :)

Featured Posts

I notice our post numbers have disappeared again, and the time/date stamps on posts have reverted to the meaningless "two hours ago" relative format. Can we have post numbers and proper time and date stamps back on our posts please in the upgrade?

Many thanks...

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I notice our post numbers have disappeared again, and the time/date stamps on posts have reverted to the meaningless "two hours ago" relative format. Can we have post numbers and proper time and date stamps back on our posts please in the upgrade?

Many thanks...

I will second that request.  

Also would appreciate date of original posting of each thread too.  Would save reading through dozens of posts that are mainly years old and irrelevant today.

Thankee kindly.

Also, while we're doing requests, can we have an option to turn off images please? 

Images in posts (especially in quotes of preceding posts), and avatar images please.

I have signatures turned off, and being able to turn off avatars would allow us to further de-clutter our screens. 

I guess I'm asking for a text-only iteration of the site for those of us on a slow/expensive connection.

Many thanks if you can...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Many thanks...

I will have a look this evening. 

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Also, while we're doing requests, can we have an option to turn off images please? 

Images in posts (especially in quotes of preceding posts), and avatar images please.

I have signatures turned off, and being able to turn off avatars would allow us to further de-clutter our screens. 

I guess I'm asking for a text-only iteration of the site for those of us on a slow/expensive connection.

Many thanks if you can...

The easiest way to achieve this would be to add a theme designed to cater for people with those preferences. I will look into the options but it won't be happening overnight.

RichM

If we're doing requests...

I'm sure in the "View New Content" section you used to be able to select a page to go to in the thread or to start at the first unread comment, now there's no option but to start at the beginning of the thread. 

The update is now complete. The post numbers should now be fixed also. A few other things to highlight:

I wasn't able to change the relative time next to posts but will look further into this. If I can find a way of doing it, I may run an opinion poll prior to making this change. 

The site seems to be performing OK but the search index is rebuilding and will likely complete automatically by Saturday evening. This is a server intensive process and some areas of the site may be noticeably slower until this completes.

You will no doubt spot the new reactions feature. Simply put, this is intended to allow users to better express their reactions to a given post. Though for those who prefer to keep it simple; I must stress that the "Greenie" remains and you may simply hit the up arrow twice to award a greenie. Alternatively you may choose from one of the other reactions if you wish to push the boat out.

The update will prompt members to complete their profile if they haven't done so already. I contemplated removing this prompt as it will no doubt cause some annoyance to a few but on the other hand, it's not necessarily a bad thing to encourage people to update their profile, bearing in mind some may have forgotten all about it since registering many years ago. The prompt will disappear when the profile is complete or when dismissed. The latter of which takes moments to do.

The legacy theme has some minor colour changes to the headings. While it does look a little sleeker and perhaps a little more minimalistic imo, I don't really see the point in this in all honesty but this theme is developed/maintained by Invision so we have no say in the matter. The default theme (which we pay separately to retain the existing look and feel) remains largely unchanged. For those who wish to continue using the legacy theme, you may need to re-select it again from the Theme menu at the bottom. Sorry!

There's also a bunch of other stuff such as bug fixes along with enhancements which will help us with the running of the site but I don't wish to bore you with the details on that.

Time for bed I think!

Cheers

RichM

What's going on again, things have gone berserk. I wish members would stop arsing about and fiddling about with their controls and then complaining, which then causes poor old RichM to fiddle with his controls to try and appease them. It was all working fine for me.  :(

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

What's going on again, things have gone berserk. I wish members would stop arsing about and fiddling about with their controls and then complaining, which then causes poor old RichM to fiddle with his controls to try and appease them. It was all working fine for me.  :(

Curiously my complaint was the opposite. That fiddling with one's controls had become essential to get the board into a usable working condition. This should never have been necessary, and hasn't been so far for me with this latest update.

Anyway in the past Rich 'fiddling with the controls' has been Rich installing a madatory update supplied by Invision, not a response to users having a moan.

But I agree with your general thrust, don't fix stuff that is already working.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Happy 2
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same here. And the placeholder contains the word "Gree"

Hey, brilliant, we can vote reputations down again!

Where's Carlt, ISTR he was collecting negative reactions to show how pointless it is

Richard

MORE: Yes, just checked, I've knocked two points off MtB's reputation.

EVEN MORE: Just a reminder, this caused a hell of a lot of friction years ago, which is why it was removed

Edited by RLWP
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Ive restored the balance. The force is once again in equilibrium. 

I'm going on a campaign of character assassination. I'm going to find someone i don't like and put an angry next to every one of their posts. That will teach them!

Richard

MORE: Actually, you would be a good candidate, you've got 211 greenies and made 2,291 posts. Within an hour I could give you a minus 2,000 reputation. That would be fair, right?

Edited by RLWP
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously my complaint was the opposite. That fiddling with one's controls had become essential to get the board into a usable working condition. This should never have been necessary, and hasn't been so far for me with this latest update.

Anyway in the past Rich 'fiddling with the controls' has been Rich installing a madatory update supplied by Invision, not a response to users having a moan.

But I agree with your general thrust, don't fix stuff that is already working.

I carried out the little adjustments needed to make it usable when the new setup began which has been working fine for me without any extra fiddling with my controls.

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm going on a campaign of character assassination. I'm going to find someone i don't like and put an angry next to every one of their posts. That will teach them!

Richard

If you go far enough they will end up with a negative reputation. 

Think I already have one of those! 

Edited by rusty69